Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I got a brand new Nissan Juke Visia (black) through my employer yesterday.
I'm very pleased with it, but I am wondering what equipment should have been in the boot in the compartments under the removable floor.
I can see blanks for various things like a jack, but there is nothing in mine but the towing attachment plus a plastic bottle of something or other and a small plastic case in a cardboard cover which I haven't opened yet (maybe a tyre reflation kit?).The major thing which wasn't in there was a spare (not even a space saver). Is that normal, or should I be getting in touch with the lease company to ask them where the space saver is?
Anyway, I am very impressed with it so far. For the entry level model, it's very well equipped. The interior is miles better in quality and appearance than on my last car which was 10k more expensive. I like the simpler Visia stereo/radio etc and prefer it to the touchscreen control panel I have seen pictures of.
Anyway, if someone could let me know if I should be chasing up my spare wheel / space saver, or is it standard practice that the Juke Visia comes without one.
Thanks!
JM

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The whole Juke range apart from the AWD 4x4 do not come with spare tires at all. The plastic bottle and cardboard box you have found is the tyre inflation kit used to patch and re-inflate your tiers when u get a puncture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
meaga-byte said:
The whole Juke range apart from the AWD 4x4 do not come with spare tires at all. The plastic bottle and cardboard box you have found is the tyre inflation kit used to patch and re-inflate your tiers when u get a puncture.
Thanksmeaga-byte, much appreciated, I suspected that was the case. Anything's better than putting a space saver on in the rain I guess!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
no worries.
However, it has been said that the "gunk" in the bottle will not only patch your tyre and allow u to drive off to the nearest garage but also ruins the tyre. With a small puncture the garage can normally patch and repair the inner tube allowing you to keep the tyre but with the gunk it apparently coats the inside to seal the breach affectively making the tyre un-repairable.
This would mean u would need to replace the tyre instead of just repairing it. This is what i have read and not looked into my self so with the advancements of technology i for one would think that they could come up with some sort of gunk that would not cause your tire to become useless lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
jmurray315 said:
meaga-byte said:
Thanksmeaga-byte, much appreciated, I suspected that was the case. Anything's better than putting a space saver on in the rain I guess!
Apart from filling a tyre full of gunk and then have it leak out and be back to where you started.Thankfully nothing has happened in my Juke, but my previous car had several punctures and the inflation kits are useless. I vowed never to buy a car without a spare again, BUT here I am! Lots of cars do not come with spare tyres (even space savers) anymore.Steve

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
this topic has been covered many times
you can pourchase the spare kit from your dealer £200
or source a second hand one from ebay I got the spare from a QQ in mine and used the jack from an xtrail all sorted in case I need to use it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
deks36 said:
this topic has been covered many times
you can pourchase the spare kit from your dealer £200
or source a second hand one from ebay I got the spare from a QQ in mine and used the jack from an xtrail all sorted in case I need to use it
Thanks deks36, that's good advice, I'll look into that.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Having no spare wheel, is just another cost cutting exercise by the manufacturer, but I bet it is not passed on to the customer. You probably pay just the same as it would have been if spares were still fitted. Only bonus is, that it gives you extra boot space.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The official line Geoff, is that it is to save weight, not money! Emissions are king at the moment and every bit of weight removed helps bring that down.There wont be a hugesaving in cost as the inflation kits are quiet pricey.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
datsundealer said:
The official line Geoff, is that it is to save weight, not money! Emissions are king at the moment and every bit of weight removed helps bring that down.There wont be a hugesaving in cost as the inflation kits are quiet pricey.
At first I thougth this was just an excuse to rob us of a spare but with the knowledge I have gained over the past year I have to agree it was left out to bring down emissons for road tax etc and as siad above the inflation kit works out nearly as much as the spare

·
Registered
912 Posts
datsundealer said:
Well I am afraid I won't be saving on weight, as my wifes Mobility Scooter is permanently left in the boot at all times, except when she is using it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My Civic had no spare, came with gunk and an electric tyre inflator, all very well but it wont fix a blow out, thats where the RAC comes in I suppose.

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you get a puncture, don't bother with the inflation kit, unless you are only a few miles from a tyre repair centre, as it will deflate if driven on it too far. Best thing to do is call the RAC (ok you might have to wait for half an hour or so) the RAC guy will take out the offending screw/nail and put in a temporary rubber plug. Once inflated, this will allow you to travel quite a distance, until you can get to a tyre repair centre, providing you don't go over 40mph. Once at the tyre dealer, they will do a proper vulcanised repair on the culprit tyre.

These inflation kits are not very good, but if you do have to use it in emergency, don't remove the screw/nail from the tyre that has caused the tyre to puncture, as this still acts as a plug which is sealed by the gunk from the tyre inflation can. Don't travel above five to six miles and don't exceed 30mph, when using these kits.

If you get a full tyre blow out or your tyre gets damaged on the side wall, nothing can repair it and you won't get anywhere without a spare wheel. So if you really want piece of mind, get yourself a spare wheel or at least one of the get you home spare wheels.Edited by: Geoff_Juke

·
Registered
873 Posts
Geoff_Juke said:
datsundealer said:
Well I am afraid I won't be saving on weight, as my wifes Mobility Scooter is permanently left in the boot at all times, except when she is using it.
Doesn't matter - the weight for the model is lower, and puts you in a lower road tax band as well, so all good.

I have had 2 slow punctures now (well, one wasn't even leaking, but someone spotted a nail embedded into the tyre) - had both repaired without needing to use the gunk. I have a friend who insists that quite often a repair place can clean the gunk off and save the tyre. Not sure how true that is but he is an engineer who fixes aeroplanes for a job, so does have some knowledge in the area.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Persanally if anything disastrous happens that needs a spare / new tyre / whatever, i'll be making full use of the free RAC cover rather than using the gunk!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Stormrider said:
Persanally if anything disastrous happens that needs a spare / new tyre / whatever, i'll be making full use of the free RAC cover rather than using the gunk!

Me too! Although free RAC cover is included with Nissan cars, RAC cover is given for all Motability cars, irrespective of make. I have had a few slow punctures in my present Zafira during the past three years, but have managed to get to a Kwik Fit Centre (Motability Approved Tyre Company) without calling the RAC. With Motability cars, any repairs to tyres or tyre replacementsare covered through Kwik Fit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts