Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Brat has to get personal ideas on 'what is culture' for her class tomorrow, so am asking around a variety of places to help out.

If you could just say what it means for you (not a dictionary definition, just your own words) in a small phrase or sentence, and your approx age group and nationality, I will be very, very grateful.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
202 Posts
Culture is something that a person learns from their surroundings and family, it is not ingrained. That's why each nationality has it's own culture as it is developed over time from language, arts, music and society peculiar to that nation.
As we are now meant to be living in a multicultural society & travel or migrationbetween nations is so easy then I supose individual cultures will start toerode down to small pockets in distant areas of the world. Look at North Korea for instance if you want to define a very individual national culture.
I'm very British and 43!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jayannlay said:
Rat's Brat. 
Just about to watch :

Head Over Heels in Rats
Friday 28 January
8:30pm - 9:00pm
Channel 4 +1

Jenny Popplewell's First Cut film is a family portrait with a difference. Kate and Kevin Rattray are members of the Yorkshire Rat Club and keep 27 of the furry rodents in their unique household. The Rattrays opted not to have children but are loving parents to their pets.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My niece had to do the same question in her philosophy homework. She was 7 at the time. So of the question she was asked were ridiculous for a child of her age.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Going off topic in a thoughtful mood....... Thinking about my sons homework....We live in a multicultural society - which is fantastic!!!
but I really do think political correctness has gonewrong....

When is a blackboard not a blackboard - when its now called a chalk board (or now a smart board)

Baa baa black sheep is now baa baa woolly sheep

things are mad.... even the EU saying that bananas cant be sold if they are too bent???

Wot???

Going off topic sorry - hope no-ones offended - if they are feel free to report.......

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My favourite is when they say "coffee without milk" rather than black coffee, what ever is that all about???

We have a crazy woman in our HR department who is one of the people who is all for extreme political correctness. We had out bullying and Harassment policy briefed to us this week, which was hilarious. She just didn't get it when "any unwanted touching or pinching" was said to class as harassment, we question if we wanted it, can we be touched? she didn't know how to deal with it
Factory fun is totally lost on her. When I was doing my apprenticeship I was pinned to the factory floor while some women off the line filled my pants with snow! Best 10 mins of my life! hahaNot sure how those women would of taken the harassment policy??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts