Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
ginnym said:
There are no voice choices, one of the things I'd like to see because I prefer a man's voice on the guidance.

I'd also like to be able to change some of the settings in terms of quickest/shortest route and average speed on A roads. I travelled from Cumbria to Suffolk at the weekend and the Nissan system tried to send me down the M6 rather than the A1. The motorway is about 40 miles longer but presumably the system thinks it's quicker because it's motorway. When I ignored it and went down the A1, I found that the Nissan system persisted a lot longer with trying to get me to go back to the M6 than the TomTom before it gave up and re-calculated for the A1.
You can change your settings to avoid motorways though....

Personally I think its a good system and not had any problems yet - I do like the traffic alerts and the option to divert which has saved me quite a bit of time so far. The updates could be a problem in future though - My now redundant Co-Pilot on my iphone updates every few months.

I have found the Sat-Nav pretty good so far, although we have only done one proper long journey.

On the question of updates, we should remember that neither Nissan, nor any other car maker actually produces the mapping, it is all bought in from people like Ordnance Survey, Navteq and TomTom in the case of Renault. Renault use Tomtom in some of their cars, so maybe the Juke is TomTom based, no idea really.

But, mapping is not updated all that often. For example, Google Earth is still showing my previous neighbours car on the drive and they moved nearly five years ago!

Financially, it would simply not be worthwhile paying to update the software every year or so, because it ain't going to be that different. It is a bit like buying the latest road atlas every year, you get a nice new cover, but not a lot else.

I suspect car makers like GPS makers are keen for us to buy regular updates so as to help their bottom line, but my guess would be that a three yearly mapping update will be more than adequate.

What you MAY get (and this is guesswork) is faster map updating on the screen as software improves, but the Juke set up seems pretty quick to me.

In any case, the Juke satnav is way better than that fitted to BMWs. I bought a decent Garmin for my car rather than the £1,500 they wanted for their system , which could not do 7 figure post codes.

Maps rely on Ordinance Survery and Royal Mail. R.M. sell thier PAF (Postcode Adress File) to Garmin , Tom Tom e.t.c...New Buildings , roads are submitted by the Councils to RM and Ordinance Survery who verify the addresses then this information is sold on...Every Day across the U.K. this information is updated by both parties...... It depends on when Tom Tom e.t.c. want to buy the information....as you can guess not very often...

The nav will probably be out of date from new.I think theres only a couple of companies in europe that produce maps and with new building/roads going on all the time maps will get out of date fairly quickly, of course 99% of it will still be accurate.

My scirocco was about 3 months old when i had a bit of an accident and needed to go to hospital in Stranraer, a place I had never been to before. The sat nav directed me to a hospital that had been closed for 2 years!!

The main electronic map providers are Tele Atlas (owned by Tom Tom) and Navteq.
Nissan maps are by Navteq (printed onSD card) updated at regular intervals to quote their website, but looks like once a year.
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/-/-/-/Default-Start

The Juke is not listed yet as the maps must be latest. tried to register for update info juke only onUS listings.
You can see from the site most manufacturers use them for their systems.

I've got used to system but still think a Tom Tom easer to set up, but the one thing I do like about it is the live traffic reports whichcosts on Tom Tom. But if you think theconnectis difficult you want to try the one fitted into aVauxhall it took me 3 day to figure out how to turn the voice instructions on(and I'm a bit of a tec head).
The maps are never fully up to date, had a subscription with Tom Tom updates every 3 months but stillshowed me drivingin a fieldwhen on a new bit of road. It took A to Z 35 year to list my street but a satnav can get me to my front door using my postcode.Edited by: Strof

my wife's tomtom has a problem with the m62/a1 junction missing when the road had been completed 5 years before she bought her unit. I think the juke satnav is excellent - I missed a roundabout turnoff at the weekend and it had calculated an alternative as I came off at the next exit so it's very fast, and today it took me on a route that I always use but the tomtom always advises a different route along the a14 which no satnav should ever consider as a viable road. I will probably subscribe shortly to gpsworld to get the updated speed cameras since £20 per year sounds very reasonable and I think all other POIs are free, so the hospitals etc should be up to date.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.