1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
105 Posts
Remapping the ECU is usually a far better solution if available.

I had my 2.2 Civic remapped by Celtic Tuning from 146 to 192 bhp. It made it as fast as a Type R, but still delivered 45 mpg. It also improved the smoothness and flattends the torque curve.

They also remapped my wife's B180, but for economy. It now returns 43 mpg, not 39 as it did as standard, and performance is also boosted.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I accept remap would be better but 2 points it costs a lot more and if the car has to go to dealer for anything major they will end up resetting it back to normal which means money lost, well at least that is my understanding from a dealer tec,

·
Registered
105 Posts
deks36 said:
I accept remap would be better but 2 points it costs a lot more and if the car has to go to dealer for anything major they will end up resetting it back to normal which means money lost, well at least that is my understanding from a dealer tec,

Yes good points Deks.

However many of the remappers will restore the map for free if the dealers do overwrite it.

For my wife's B Class, I bought a unit from Celtic that plugs into the OBD Port and you can load and unload a number of maps, as often as you want. This way you can replace the standard map before the car visits the dealers, and replace the mod one afterwards. The problem is you need to do a fair milage before the £400 cost of this set-up becomes worthwhile! - but I just like to tinker

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about shortern mechanical parts life? I mean, if a motor is build with specifics components and specific power output, if you alter them how the mechanical parts will react? You can reduce the motor life or increase failure problems and so on. What about insurance?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Deks36,

I have a tuning box fitted makes a massive difference I have mine set medium / medium much smoother power delivery and better fuel consumption still in testing so cant confirm what just yet I got mine from http://www.energytuning.co.uk seem to work fine easy to install driving at 60mph it shows on instant fuel consumption 65-75mpg paid £186.75 post free

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Deks36,

I have a tuning box fitted makes a massive difference I have mine set medium / medium much smoother power delivery and better fuel consumption still in testing so cant confirm what just yet I got mine from http://www.energytuning.co.uk seem to work fine easy to install driving at 60mph it shows on instant fuel consumption 65-75mpg paid £186.75 post free
I'd love to know how you get on with it, Gary. That seems really cheap, and since they're actually based fairly near where I live, I'll definitely look into it! Just one question though...did you find a space for it under the bonnet easy enough? I wouldn't have a clue where to put it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
caplyn_bass said:
Hi Deks36,

I'd love to know how you get on with it, Gary. That seems really cheap, and since they're actually based fairly near where I live, I'll definitely look into it! Just one question though...did you find a space for it under the bonnet easy enough? I wouldn't have a clue where to put it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
caplyn_bass said:
Hi Deks36,

Its was easy just unplug fuel rail pressure sensor, then use cable supplyed to join the connectors I positioned the box on to side of the battery via velcro supplyed.. works a treat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm glad you asked this question.. In my on going series of Car care, maintenance and accessories articles.. I've also sent out a heads up to JetChip here in the States.. The Jetchip has been know to be a bit more expensive then other chips but again.. just like the K&N air filter.. the Jetchip offers a substantial fuel savings curve.. Hopefully I'll retrieve more info on this chip in the near future.
No listing of the Nissan Juke at the Jetchip site.. Yet. But I've made sure that JetChip is aware of the growing need.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i bought on eof those from sam eplace fro my Land Rover Freelander

ups the MPG by about 3 mpg and feels much more torque low don, well worth it in my opinion

deks36 said:
Just found this on ebayhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASA-CR-Tuningbox-Chiptuning-Nissan-Juke-1-5-dCi-/360331651838?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e570aafeDoes any one have any info of these kind of things? do they work?  although i have been around the trade for many years this isnt something i have ever looked into or done in the past. Any help greatly appreciated.I assume this is a plug and play kind of kit. do they work on all cars or is there a need for caution

·
Registered
62 Posts
they should be ok
most engines are left with a generous amount of safety margin in them so they can all perform as described in the brochure - the chips just nudge them closer to their maximum capability, they may wear a little quicker but id guess most modern engines are good for 100k+ if serviced to manufactures spec so i wouldnt worry about it too much
some of the garages ive worked in ask the customers if they have chipped the car so that they dont overwrite the programming when doing updates or at least say they are going to do ecu modifications and give them the choice if they want it or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
im getting a race chip for my juke 1.5dci and it doesnt invalidate the warrenty i have asked nissan and they said no... it gives u 30% more power 20% more tourqe and saves 1 ltr fuel

·
Registered
952 Posts
Nissan saying it doesn't invalidate your warranty sounds downright implausible. Who at Nissan said that? If you didn't get it in writing from a credible source I'd not put any faith in it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Nissan saying it doesn't invalidate your warranty sounds downright implausible. Who at Nissan said that? If you didn't get it in writing from a credible source I'd not put any faith in it.
Yep, I agree entirely with this - get it in writing if they say it doesn't, but I'd be amazed.

Also, check your insurance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts