Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I am looking to purchase a Juke, have seen one and will be test driving next week but could someone please tell me how practical this car is for travelling with dogs? I have two German Shorthaired Pointers and they need to be in reasonable comfort. I am thinking that the boot area itself is not big enough so would the head room on top of the folded down seats be ample. Dont think the dealer would be too happy if I took them along for the test drive so after any advice you can offer.

Thanks

Toni

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have 3 cockers. Haven't tried putting them in. Don't think it's a good car for medium to large dogs. And you SHOULD take the dogs and warn the dealer so he can protect the space.

ALSO the lip is very high. OK for large, agile and young dogs. Not for older ones though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would say the Juke is not a vehicle for medium to large dogs & with the rear seats down there is nowhere to secure the dog harness, also it's a little shallow. At a push it might be practicable to put a dog cover on the back seat so they could sit secured in the rear. Thats what we were going to do when we were looking after the outlaws Boxer but never ended up taking her in the car.
Personally I would agree with Jayannlay & arrange to take the dogs in when you test drive.

When we get our nextpooch in the spring I think I'll match the dog to the car!

The same could be said for saloon cars....Not really designed for dog owners but we managed well with two Boxers (extremely well secured) in the back.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the comments I shall have a good think about this one, already got decent car but not suitable for the dogs so was changing for their benefit aswell as my own. Looks like it could be back to the drawing board. Shame.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My westie fits in the back of ours, but that probably isn't much of a help!? The boot cover is a reaf faff to get off and on too!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi there, I am changing to the Juke from a Megane convertible. I have had my 2 labs in the back of the Juke and it is very good for them indeed.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really? There may be light at the end of the tunnel then. How do you have them - on the seats or with the seats folded?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG reading it now -yes tad risque. It was meant to be a genuine question I would like to know the best way to position mine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Like children (although slightly more obedient), if you have them on the rear seatsall dogsneed to be well restrained but is more comfortable for the dog in my opinion. I dont like the idea that in the event of anRTC a dog could be thrown around in the rear of the caror indeed something more serious in the event of a rear end RTC. Edited by: AGLImages

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have my 2 on the back seat with seat belts on. I also have seat extenders in the footwell (foam wedges that fill the gap) so that they have more room to lie down.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks I hadnt even thought of seat extenders- not really had reason too. Going to have a second look in showroom today so who knows what may happen!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi I have my two labs in the rear seats of my Juke as well, with seat belt harnesses on, I have throw completely covering the seats and floor and a fleece on the seat, a dog guard to stop them getting into the front and a another dark fleece over the backs of the front seats. One Lab has arthritis so we choose the Juke as it has 5 doors and the passenger doors are near to the ground. Car manufacturers have been making cars with higher and higher boots which make it really difficult for dogs with arthritis to jump in and out of, I had to keep picking him up and a 29.6kg's it is not much fun when you are standing on ice.
Hudson those seat extenders sound like a good idea can I ask where you got them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My pleasure!

Orvis stuff is really good quality too. Finally found indestructible waterproof lights for the dogs on there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've just ordered my Juke and I don't know how I'm going to go on with my 2 dogs. I was hoping they would fit in the boot space (with seats still up) but I think I'll be pushing my luck!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts