Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have read so many posts about towbars but still need some more information.

1. Other than Holdcroft, would like to go there but its a bit of a distance, where is best to get the towbar fitted, has anyone tried the fitting at home ones.
2. What's the biggest trailer that can be fitted and the maximum weight including the trailer.
3. With Bike racks I assume any towball bike rack will work.

I have a quote from towbar express, including fitting and single electrics, £394.00, this is a witter towbar.

Thanks

Felipe

·
Registered
873 Posts
The maximum weight the car is rated to pull is 1250kg for 1.6 N/A, 1.6 N/A CVT and 1.5 Diesel, but 1200kg for the 1.6 DiG-T and 1150kg for the 1.6 CVT AWD.

However, if you passed your test after 1996 and haven't taken a trailer test since, you can only pull a trailer which is lighter than the unladen weight of the car, which for mine is 1225kg I think. It's not recommended to tow anything that is more than 80% of the weight of the car anyway.

Edited by: Stormrider

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there.

I have just fitted my Juke with a Westfalia Towbar in around 4 hours. It was hot day!
I still have electrics to sort out but mechanically it is fairly easy to do based on your experience.

The Westfalia is regarded as the better one according to most folk I have spoken to. Apparently Westfalia make the 'Nissan' Branded one.

Also is is the least visible modificationwhen detached.

http://www.westfalia-automotive.de/fileadmin/templates/pdf/332-nissan/a332304691101-332291.pdf

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I know nothing about rules of towing and even less on which is the correct type for what you want to caarry etc etc. But I am sure Holdcroft was doing a better deal for one fitted than you were quoted
I may be wrong will need to go through some old posts to see if I can find it
do recall person was well pleased and travelled some distance to get it fitted

·
Registered
873 Posts
I thought technically, you were supposed to get a qualified person to fit towbars, especially electrics? ie, not supposed to do it yourself any more?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Stormrider said:
I thought technically, you were supposed to get a qualified person to fit towbars, especially electrics? ie, not supposed to do it yourself any more?
can't say if thats a legal requirement but certainly sensible given todays car electrics self fitment you seriously run the risk of invalidating your warranty

·
Registered
873 Posts
And insurance. My insurance company asked who fitted it when I notified them I had had it installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Points taken.
But as a time served mechanic with 10years experience and a degree in engineering, I consider myself qualified.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
JWALES said:
Points taken.
But as a time served mechanic with 10years experience and a degree in engineering, I consider myself qualified.
but will Nissan and possibly your Insurance company

I personally never tamper with a vehicle under warranty as at least that way any modifications done will be be covered by someone

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
JWALES said:
Points taken.
Certainly you should, but insurance and car companies have a way of wriggling out of things any way they can, fair or not.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I repair & service aeroplanes at the weekend and could easily have fitted it myself, but just isn't worth the risk IMO

·
Registered
873 Posts
Oh, and my insurers also asked if it was the official Nissan towbar as well, and specifically said there would be no extra premium because it was the manufacturer part, so watch out for that one too

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the towbar fitted today by Holdcrofts.
Great service, dropped it off at 8:30ish and collected just after 12:00.
Bike rack was delivered today as well and done a quick trial fit and all is fine, all ready for the 1st full bike load this weekend.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can understand warranty issues. Mypal fits towbars for a living for a reputable company and they've had several issues over the past year or twowithwith dealers refusing to honour warranty on typically 2 year old BMWcarsbecause a non dealertow bar has been fitted.[Where do you think the dealers usually get the tow bars fitted-you've guessed it]Theyping pongthe customer back to his company despite theproblem really being caused by the known issue ofblocked drainage channels in the roof and boot scuttle waterlogging the electonicsin the boot area. In all cases it took a report from them and some persuation to get the dealer to play ball. Were talking about £20,000 to £35,000 cars here ,swish dealers ,supposedly brilliant customer service and a known"design" fault.

Ps he's fitted towbar to a Audi R8 this week ........?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess I should have followed up my previous post about the towbar and bike rack with a pic.

Here is the Juke fully loaded with bikes, the straps from the top of the tailgate are only required when all 4 bikes are loaded. Total weight is around 70kg against the noseweight of 75kg's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts