Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it was Friday morning that I spotted a White Visia Juke, it was a shame the indicators appeared to be broken and that it was stuck in the outside lane (I know it's not the cars fault)

Update - By stuck I mean it did not seem to want to use the other two (empty) lanes on the motorway.

Edited by: incubus

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I did not mean broken down ... just that it didn't seem to want to drive in the other two lanes

·
Registered
489 Posts
can't wait for mine I travel up and down the 42 and M5 all the time so i'll definitely be using all 3 lanes

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... and when the active traffic management is active all 4 lanes. I also frequent the M5 / M42 (every single day)

·
Registered
489 Posts
@ incubus - yep me too..everyday..so when we finally get our Jukes make sure you wave and look for the Club sticker on the top of the windshield

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The only time i hit the M5 is to cross over the round about a J6 hehe
The White juke staying in th fast lane is giving other jukes a bad name.
I stay in the fast lane but thats only due to doing about 95mph lol
if ther are not cars infront of you then move back to the inside lanes.
Tis the LAW! lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Could've been me as I was on that stretch of motorway on Friday, however I'm only there at rush hour times and moreover - I know how to use a motorway!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
489 Posts
@ JOW I love that clipart - what about the 4th lane?? Have you ever noticed on your journey along the M42 that when it's a lovely sunny day and there is a mile of traffic that the far left lane always has the red X and a speed restriction of 40 mph for the 3 remaining lanes, and on a day when it's pisking it down or foggy the lane is open with a speed restriction of 60 mph across all four

·
Registered
5 Posts
Withoutwax, that is the point of the active traffic management system.

When the roads are dry, traffic reasonable/light, sunny weather, then there is no need to open the "hard shoulder", indeed, to do so would endanger anyone who breaks down & has traffic travelling at 70 mph(+!) bearing down on them.

The reason to open lane 4 (hard shoulder) is to facilitate extra traffic when demand requires, ie poor visibility, heavy traffic etc. This can only be achieved by limiting the speed so as to safeguard people in broken down vehicle that cannot manage to continue to one of the extra areas reserved for broken down vehicles (every 1/2 mile).

Many cameras are continuously overseeing the area & if a vehicle breaks down the opened hard shoulder is immediately closed & a VOSA vehicle dispatched to assist in the removal of said vehicle.

You will NEVER see the inside lane open without a speed reduction in place, which of course is monitered by speed cameras on many of the overhead gantries, which are adjusted to the indicated limit in force at the time.

The whole point of this system is to allow a greater number of vehicles through the area at a constant speed (possibly as low as 30 mph) at times of greatest needs, ie bad vis, rush hour traffic, it is not there to increase average speeds when conditions are good.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Oh dear sprinter,

It's not a VOSA vehicle, it's one of our cars, Traffic Officers from the Highways Agency, but you are right in saying if something breaks down in that lane it then shows a RED X and becomes. Hard shoulder again until it's cleared, the lane is there to help with the volume of traffic.

JOW

·
Registered
5 Posts
My apologies
I'm in the haulage business & therefore spend so much time dealing with VOSA it was just on my mind, but both are paid by the same employer, the government
so yes indeed, I did in fact mean HATOs
Edited by: Sprinter

·
Registered
489 Posts
@ Sprinter - I was taking the michael!! I travel that stretch of motorway everyday have done for 6 years. There have been many times when it has been pisking it down of rain and misty and the hard shoulder lane is open with a speed limit of 60mph, I fully understand the purpose of traffic management systems..having lived in Atlanta, USA. You wanna drive along the 42 in the summer as you will find all 4 lanes open most morning / evening rush hour with the sun bearing down and a 60mph in place

·
Registered
127 Posts
withoutwax said:
@ Sprinter - I was taking the michael!! I travel that stretch of motorway everyday have done for 6 years. There have been many times when it has been pisking it down of rain and misty and the hard shoulder lane is open with a speed limit of 60mph, I fully understand the purpose of traffic management systems..having lived in Atlanta, USA. You wanna drive along the 42 in the summer as you will find all 4 lanes open most morning / evening rush hour with the sun bearing down and a 60mph in place
Your original comment made it sound like you didn't understand .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts