Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

Snow Driving

4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  ... 
#1 ·
Took mine out yesterday, not too bad on the road except for one local road that everyone was having trouble negotiating anyway

See less See more
#3 ·
i just spent 17 hours making a round trip from Birmingham to Plymouth 4 hours to Plymouth load all the sons kit in the car from uni back on the motorway took 3 hours to get back to strensham services on the M5 just before Worcester then over 10 hours to do the last 20 miles home due to the snow and ice although my sporting punto coped absolutely superb with the conditions i would have preferred to have had the comfort of the juke but unfortunately in mot getting it till next Tuesday providing it can get from sunderland to birmingham on a transporter

#6 ·
theguru said:
laughing like **** up here ( north of the watford gap ), when we got hit 2 weeks ago with the snow, there was harldy any news on it, now as it hits the capital you'd think the next ice age has begun...
Well said.No snow up here at present this time around.Looking at news it's no different around England and Wales than what we had here in the North East 3 weeks ago.

#9 ·
Driving in snow is easy finding people that know how to drive in the snow is the hard part mind you i did have a chuckle yesterday when i saw a fararri out of fuel on the hard shoulder that will teach him to own a car that does more gallons to the miles than miles to the gallon.

#11 ·
The **** ESP/TC hinders snow driving if you ask me!!

I can turn off the ESP, but cannot see how to turn off the traction control? **** thing keeps kicking in, stopping the car from getting a grip and stranding me most days!!

Unbeliveably, we have had snow EVERY day for almost 3 weeks now. Im sick to death of it.

Andy

#13 ·
I have to say that I am well impressed with my winter tyres, only problem; I now want to push them a bit to see just how good they are, so if anyone sees a red acenta in the ditch its probably me.

#14 ·
i cant get winter tyres just now - all local places are out of stock... dont want to order online for fear they dont get delivered... Will just have to struggle on!!!

ANDYTRAN
I have every sympathy with you - The north East is taking a fair pummelling!!!! - Stick in matey - Hopefully it cant get any worse!!!!

Chin up

Fee x

#18 ·
Don't wanna wound your feelings, guys
But it's really funny to read about your heroic struggle with the snow.
I guess next years you will have to consider our experience. Right here in Moscow we put on winter tyres at the beginning of November...
If everyone do this, the snow is not a great problem.
However I undestand that all of this is a kind of nightmare adventure for you.

#19 ·
Stormrider said:
I had read somewhere that in tests comparing tyres, winter tyres weren't as much benefit as the manufacturers would have you think!
strange thing to say, never read anything saying that, all i can say is with the winter tyres fitted i've not had a problem in deep snow, ice or deep slush, no spin no skidding nothing, winter tyres are the way to go if you can afford it go for it, you'll not regret it....

#21 ·
Jukeofhazard said:
Hi,What sort of price did you pay for winter tyres Guru? Do you just get the garage to swop from the standard tyre to the winter onesand take the standard tyres home until Spring?
i bought the nokian wrg2's from mytyres.co.uk back in october when i ordered the car, had them in the garage then when my car came into the dealers i dropped them off and they changed them over FOC for me, the others are in the garage now until spring time, i paid £106 each for the tyres but i think now they are £166, honestly if you get snow like we do its a necessary purchase...

#22 ·
theguru said:
Stormrider said:
I had read somewhere that in tests comparing tyres, winter tyres weren't as much benefit as the manufacturers would have you think!
strange thing to say, never read anything saying that, all i can say is with the winter tyres fitted i've not had a problem in deep snow, ice or deep slush, no spin no skidding nothing, winter tyres are the way to go if you can afford it go for it, you'll not regret it....
Fair enough, but I haven't exactly had any problems with my standard tyres either. It's not a strange thing to say, I did read it, I'm not lying!

#24 ·
If winter tyres do not make that much difference why is it that many European countries enforce their fitment thru winter months, clearly they work far more efficiently than normal rubber
they are designed to stay softer in colder temperatures where as normal tyres go hard when temperature drops also they are cut differently to enable the to cut thru the snow so to sum
Winter tyres are a far better tyre for the winter than a normal one your braking distance is shorter and your level of grip increased
Do I have them NO why because until this year I had never really understood them and now the price has shot up due to demand.
Will I get them for next winter YES in the summer when they are cheaper

#25 ·
Winter tyres aren't just for driving in snow,slush can beworse than snow sometimes as people don't treat it with the same respect. Winter tyres are softer than summer/all year tyres and the sipesare wider and aligned differently, they work better on cold surfaces too. At the end of the day it's personal choice, I have used winter tyre for years here on the Pennines, admittedly not very often over the last few years.

#26 ·
SV - Welcome to the forum - Good to see someone from Russia on the forum!!!!!
Theres a Moscow in Scotland too which is probably colder than Russia though!!!

I had a puncture today - NIGHTMARE!!!!! - Ended up using an air compressor to get to tyre place. They repaired puncture, Asked about WINTER TYRES - cant get them..... Replacement 215/55 R17 tyre in KWIK FIT £165.00!!- WOT????

The had a leaflet about a TYRE HOTEL - they remove your own tyres in November - label them and store them till March and you pay £40.00 for storage.

I also tried to phne my dealership re - spacesaver kit for JUKE - they are on back order and apparantly are taking weeks....

Fee x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.