Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought snowy weather meant lower gears, so I put the Juke in "L" and it didn't make it out of the drive. Put it into "D" and it was fine.
So when should you use "L"?
Any of the sport/ normal/ eco modes better for this weather?

·
Registered
265 Posts
JadziJuke said:
I always thought that you should use higher gears when driving in snow, but I could be wrong!
absolutely !!!

and there is a problem with the automatic gearbox

unless you have the option "sequence changes gear"Edited by: ProceSS

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yeh, I keep it in high gears as well... stops too much power going to the wheels which just makes them spin. If you use higher gears, it also makes you pull off a lot more gently to avoid wheelspin as well.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live and learn.
So what is the "L" gear for?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi everyone I have also been taught that in a manual drive its also better to get away - if a bit dodgy - in second gear rather than first if youre struggling - again stopping the wheels spinning with less power to the drive wheels..........

·
Registered
80 Posts
the L can you used if you ridedown hill in a slow drive.
the engine makes more rpm what will help for not using the brake's.

does the engine makes more rpm in the Sport drive?
can youalso drive in a manual by hand.
when you chose a lower gear it will helpwhen you have a quick stop.

sorry for my english...Iam a dutch guy.
Iam driving the qashqai 2L cvt.

·
Registered
540 Posts
There are no problems with auto boxes if you know how to use them. All cars were automatic once upon a time and there is word of Toyota offering manual only as an option before too long.
The wheels spinning in the snow and ice (and wet) is due to too much initial power to the wheels. The same thing happens with a manual gear box but, you feather the clutch and revs at the same time if you are good at driving out of the snow. With an auto box you can only control the revs.
So you have no clutch pedal to think about, just use the throttle pedal gently and provided that the surface under the tyre is not too slippy then there should be no problem in driving out of snow using a car with an auto box.
I am onto my seventh car with an auto box and I have had three with CVT automatic boxes out of those and I must say that the CVT has been the smoothest gear box in any car I have ever had so far and I have had seventeen cars over the years.
The 'L' is for hill work with the car. If you have a really steep incline and you are going up, then the idea is that when the car is in 'L' it will stop the gear box hunting for the next ratio or in the case of the CVT it will provide more power to the wheels to help get the car up the hill by keeping the revs up at a lower speed. When you come down a steep hill the lower ratio selected will use the engine fighting against the gear box to help slow the car down - you will still need brakes of course.
So you are quite correct in what was happening when you selected 'L' and the wheels were spinning. This is because the 'L' selection was keeping the revs too high for what you were trying to do - drive away slowly. Keep the car in 'D' or the next one down (I don't know if you have another selection, I haven't seen the Juke CVT box yet but, in my Civic I have 'S' after 'D' and I tend to use this for driving away slowly or 'D' if the area isn't too bad. Keeping the revs down is the main thing. I would then use 'S' or perhaps 'L' in your car when I am manoeuvring to help prevent the car from speeding away too easily at roundabouts and openings. Gentle throttle and then change to 'D' again. You have to watch though because some cars have very strict speed limits for changing from one gear ratio to the next. Check your manual for how to change into and out of 'L' to make sure you can actually do that while the car is moving.
Phew... have I missed anything? Hope this has helped clear the air about auto boxes and snowy weather.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dougal.
So basically I stick to D and don't rev too much.
(No S or manual options on the Juke.)

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
12Inchmick said:
Nice expanation, I am almost wishing there is snow still when I pick up my CVT in 2 weeks.
thats a 1in a million chance ......................................... on both counts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
deks36 said:
12Inchmick said:
Nice expanation, I am almost wishing there is snow still when I pick up my CVT in 2 weeks.
thats a 1in a million chance ......................................... on both counts
Oh well never mind, I will just have to try and keep myself occupied.
Now, where are my moon boots? Might as well move that old anvil...........................

·
Registered
97 Posts
the kia sportage auto used to have a hold button to keep it in gears 2 and 3 for snow driving which i found a great idea but you should try driving a 44ton 12 speed auto volvo truck but to get back to subject try putting the auto in to 2nd gear for pulling away in the snow with the auto (that is if you have that option) i have not seen an auto box set up on the juke yet,

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can only do that with the 4WD which has 6 fixed gear positions as well as the CVT auto.

·
Registered
167 Posts
silverjuke said:
So when should you use "L"?
think this has already been answered but I need the posts to open up those magic forum areas

L is for steep declines, it keep the car in a low gear to slow the cars decent, for very steep declines you wouldn't even touch the accelerator, just let the gearbox do the work, thus reducing the need to have your foot on the brake the entire decent, and risk overheating your breaks and having them fail

It's the same with any other car, manual or automatic, but living in the north west I've never had to do this on normal roads in this country, but has come in handy in Gibraltar and parts of Spain, that road down from Ronda is pretty steep in places

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just to add some info about my experience: Ian indicated that he drives or has driven a Volvo truck and has experience with heavy haulage.
I have driven Weatherill, Volvo, Magaritz Deutch, Caterpillar, Benati and Ford wheeled loader/diggers all at high speed (for them) in very slippy conditions in industry. All machines used semi-automatic gearboxes and naturally 4WD. At an average weight of 12 tons unladen and an average speed of 25 to 30 mph learning during that time to throw the machines around a 90 degree bend with inches to spare on either side where contact with cement stantions results in bone shaking vibrations through the body so knowing how to drive in basically, mud and snow and ice has been second nature once upon a time. I have also driven Hyster, Henly, Toyota and Kamatsu fork-lift trucks in similar conditions but, with only two wheels driving. that can be an eye opener on slippy ground and utterly useless on ice.
Many hours have been spent going and getting buckets of sand to put under the wheels or in the case of the wheeled loaders it would be tons of material spread out across a yard to keep vehicles moving and people safe from slipping. Oh joy - those were the days. A couple of hours of satisfying work and a well deserved cup of tea and black pudding softie before getting back out into the cold to start all over again.
I could go on all night but, I think my past life experiences will bore the living day-lights out of the majority. Till next time...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Dougal said:
A couple of hours of satisfying work and a well deserved cup of tea and black pudding softie before getting back out into the cold to start all over again.
A Black Pudding Softie !!!! What's that all about?

Followed by a deep fried mars bar no doubt....................

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi ****,

It was a long time ago when my diet didn't matter. It is a slice (well two actually) of black pudding in a soft white roll (softie in Aberdeen). Deep fried Mars bar does nothing for me. In fact deep fried anything nowadays is out, have to think of the cholerserol, unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts