Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a few Jukers on here from the highlands and islandsso i am fishing for advice re places to visit, hidden gems etc and also any other info that may come in useful formy trip up the western side of Scotland in late May/early June.
Hopefully i will have my son with me if he can get the time off work, we intendto wild camp prob every other night and use the luxury of a campsite or hostels on the other nights, ending with a couple of nights at the Inverness travelodge which i have already booked.
The "must do" parts of the tripare driving from Fort William to Mallaig and doing the boat trip around Muck, Eigg and Rum. Spending maybe a couple of days on Skye before moving on to Harris for a couple of days and then over to Applecross,Shieldaig, Torridon, Gairloch ,Poolewe, Gruinard, Ullapool, Dingwall, Kylescu and various places along the way before heading to Inverness.
Was hoping to have a couple of days in the Trossachs first and then astopover around Dalmally/Loch Awe..a quickroot around Oban and a zoom up Glencoe before the "must do"s...but the time issuemaybe isnt going to allow any of that.
This will be all new to me as i havent ventured higher than Fort William before. most of my info and ideas have come from the Undiscovered Scotland site..so any tips from folk who have actually been to or live up there would be helpful and much appreciated.
I have been told that Harris has the best beaches in the world so i am hoping that the weather is good enough to do it justice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When you travel up from Fort William to Mallaig, make sure you spend some time exploring around Morar and the Loch.

You can drive a few miles down the North side of Loch Morar, then walk a further mile to the pebble beach where they filmed the famouse 'peeing' scene in Rob Roy.

The white sands around Morar and Arisaig have also featured in the film 'Local Hero', and worth exploring.

You missed Plockton off your hotspot list, and you can pick this up as you cross the Skye Bridge back to the Kyle of Lochalsh.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks for that Martyn..i think i watched Local Hero recently...The Burt Lancaster movie?, hadnt realised it was filmed around there.
Plockton now added to the list...cheers !

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Yep - Hamish MacBeth the TV series staring Robert Carlyle was filmed in Plockton - looks amazing but I am ashamed to say I have never ventured so far up north.

Was intendign to venture up to THURSO this summer but will see how things go

All the best northendsoul and make sure when you do go, that you take loads of pics of your JUKE to show them off - A competition between you and 12"**** could beinteresting.....

Happy Driving

Fee xEdited by: feefeeglasgow

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Am just watching Ol Traed Gerallt Cymro (In the Footsteps of Gerald of Wales) on S4c, and the scenery is calling me back

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fee, there is no way i can compete with 12"
however..i will endeavour to capture the splendour of my surroundings on the trip and amsure that the Juke wont be feeling camera shy !

Dontthink i watchedHamish Macbeth...but i do remember him as Begbie! i will have to see if i can pick it up on dvd. i recently found the dvd oftwo thousand acres of sky on ebay..dunno if anyone will remember it...starred Michelle Collins andPaul Kaye and was filmed just up the road from me at Port Logan.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
If you are doing a tour of Scotland from the films - you could visit EDINBURGH to see all the scenes in Trainspotting, then visit GLASGOW to see TAGGART - ""thers been a murdur!!!!!"" and some of TRAINSPOTTINGwas filmed in Glasgow too - in Pollokshaws in fact..

Oh the list is endless....

Have fun

Fee x

I wonder if anyone has been to AVOCA in Ireland - I think thats where Father Ted was filmed - I loved Father Ted... I fancy having a driving holiday in IRELAND but with the Irish hospitality - a bit dodgy for driving in the morning after

Sorry waffling on now.. Will go to my bed... ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by: feefeeglasgow

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just thought i would ressurect this thread as we go to the highlands and islandson Friday for about9 days...only thing is...am not going in the Juke !
Son wants to drive and use his work car, Skoda Yeti..suspect its gonna be heavier on the juice but it's very rare i get the passenger seat so i will just sit back and admire the scenery.
Not impressed with the weather forecast but hey, it's Scotland..prob get 4 seasons in every day !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hope you enjoy your trip, Scarista in Harris and Uig in Lewis would be my tips herein the Western Isles. Gorgeous beaches. Here's hoping the weather improves for you as it's been appalling of late, spoiling our long summer evenings! Skoda Yeti's a nice motor for a spot of touring. Bon voyage.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Its a pity really because Marie who was really active at the start but is never on forum now - she lives in Skye and could give you loads of info...Come on Marie --- how are you -- Give us info!!!!!Weather just now - severe gales and rain every day for the past 3 weeks - hellish - It sure is beautiful up in the Western area of scotland but not in this weather....Fee x

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips truffle..will hopefully check em out..and yes fee, i am concerned about the weather, surely it can only get better, but will it be in time to rescue our trip ! ?

Mallaig and small isles on sat...forecast, light rain showers..
Up to Inverness for 2 nights sunday..trip down to Cairngorms..forecast heavy rain showers.
Up to Kylescu working way down to maybe Applecross on tues..forecast unknown
Down to Skye and boat trip to loch Coruisk from Elgol on weds. ditto
Early ferry to Harris/Lewis on thurs
Late ferry back fri
more time on Skye sat
head home sun..could really have done with another week but not possible for my lad.
that is nowthe plan but not set in stone... maybe in hail stone though !

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hi Northendsoul, God forbid that the ferry sinks, but if it does look on the bright side, The JUKE wasn't on it.
Have a good trip . T

1 - 15 of 15 Posts