Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shell Oil Comments - A MUST READ! <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
YOUR SAFETY- OUR SAFETY
Please send this information to ALL your family & friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas.
If this were to happen, they may not be able to get the children out in time..

MUST READ, EVEN IF YOU DON'T OWN A CAR.

Shell Oil Comments - A MUST READ!

Safety Alert!
Here's some reasons why we don't allow cell phones in operating areas, propylene oxide handling and storage area, propane,

gas and diesel refueling areas.
The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during

fueling operations

In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during fueling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the
gasoline pump.

In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when fumes ignited as they answered a call while refueling their car!

And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang
while they were fueling their car.

You should know that: Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes
Mobile phones that light up when switched on or when they ring release enough energy to provide a spark for ignition
Mobile phones should not be used in filling stations, or when fueling lawn mowers, boat, etc.
Mobile phones should not be used, or should be turned off, around other materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust,

(I.e., solvents, chemicals, gases, grain dust, etc...)

TO sum it up, here are the Four Rules for Safe Refueling:
1) Turn off engine
2) Don't smoke
3) Don't use your cell phone - leave it inside the vehicle or turn it off
4) Don't re-enter your vehicle during fueling.

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of 'STATIC ELECTRICITY'

at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires.
His results were very surprising:
1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.
2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas. When finished, they went back to pull

the nozzle out and the fire started, as a result of static.
3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.
4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.
5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas
6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.
7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was re-entered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models.

Some resulted in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.
8) Seventeen fires occurred before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before fueling began.

Mr. Renkes stresses to NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling it with gas.
If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping, make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever

pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

As I mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along with several other companies now, are really trying to make the public aware of this danger.

I ask you to please send this information to ALL your family and friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas.

If this were to happen to them, they may not be able to get the children out in time. Thanks for passing this along Tom.

·
Registered
164 Posts
From the Petroleum Equipment Institute website:

<start>
Are Cell Phones Responsible?
No. We have not documented a single incident that was caused by a cellular telephone.

Cell phones continue to be cited as causing fires at the pump in e-mails circulating on the Internet. So far, we have been unable to document any incidents that were sparked by a cellular telephone. In fact, many researchers have tried to ignite fuel vapors with a cell phone and failed.

PEI stilladvises againstusing any electronic device that might distract the motorist during the refueling process.
<end>
http://www.pei.org/PublicationsResources/SafetyResources/StopStaticCampaign.aspx

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I watch an episode of brainiac when they tried to start a fire with a cellphone and petrolhere is the linkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkJdaU92Ln8Snopes rocks! Some of the emails we get sent through at work, always check on snopes first

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mythbusters did the whole cell phone , petrol thing. Their tests were pretty **** conclusive. Its never ever going to ignite petrol fumes

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've seen the braniac and mythbusters versions of this as well, its basically a precaution when mobile phones were new and noone really knew if they would be a risk or not... but not we know they just aren't.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The only incident record that I have seen was.due to static.a woman got into her car whilst it was filing.in the uk the pumps cannot be left to fill .you have to.hold them.
Plenty of people get shocks getting out of the car and that's most likely why the fires occur .

·
Registered
210 Posts
Car I had years ago was terrible for static shocks, I put one of those things that drags on the floor what ever its called, that cut it down but the bugger would still zap me sometimes. I was always scared to touch it you could see the blue spark ark accross to me at night

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I would never take this risk as I watched a forecourt cctv film of someone who had static and the pump nozzle went up in flames in a mater of seconds.....

Would never take the risk

Thanks TOm

Fee x

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
feefeeglasgow said:
I would never take this risk as I watched a forecourt cctv film of someone who had static and the pump nozzle went up in flames in a mater of seconds.....

Would never take the risk

Thanks TOm

Fee x
Especially not with all that hair...................

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
<blockquote ="cite" style="font-family: Helvetica; line-height: normal; font-size: medium; "><o:smarttag uri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="State"><o:smarttag uri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"><div lang="EN-US" ="blue" v="blue"><div ="Section1"><table ="MsonormalTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" style=": static; : auto; "><t><tr><td valign="top" style="padding-top: 0.75pt; padding-right: 0.75pt; padding-bottom: 0.75pt; padding-left: 0.75pt; ">E-Mail Tracker Programs --</font></td></tr></t></table>
</font>Some very interesting tips and a must read!!!</font></font><table ="MsonormalTable" border="0" cellpadding="0"><t><tr><td valign="top" style="padding-top: 0.75pt; padding-right: 0.75pt; padding-bottom: 0.75pt; padding-left: 0.75pt; "><table ="MsonormalTable" border="0" cellpadding="0"><t><tr><td valign="top" style="padding-top: 0.75pt; padding-right: 0.75pt; padding-bottom: 0.75pt; padding-left: 0.75pt; ">
</font></td></tr></t></table>
</font>The man that sent this information is a computer tech. He spends a lot of time clearing the junk off computers for people and listens to complaints about speed. All forwards are not bad, just some. Be sure you read the very last paragraph.</font></font>
_________________________________________</font></td></tr></t></table>
</font>He wrote:</font>
</font>By now, I suspect everyone is familiar with</font>snopes.com</font></font>and/or</font>truthorfiction.com</font></font>for determining whether information received via email is just that: true/false or fact/fiction. Both are excellent sites.</font>

</font>Advice from</font>snopes.com</font></font> VERY IMPORTANT!!</font>
</font>1) Any time you see an email that says "forward this on to '10' (or however many) of your friends", "sign this petition", or "you'll get bad luck" or "you'll get good luck" or "you'll see something funny on your screen after you send it" or whatever --- it almost always has an email tracker program attached that tracks the cookies and emails of those folks you forward to. The host sender is getting a copy each time it gets forwarded and then is able to get lists of 'active' email addresses to use in SPAM emails or sell to other spammers. Even when you get emails that demand you send the emailon if you're not ashamed of God/Jesus ---</font>that is email tracking, and they are playing on our conscience. These people don't care how they get your email addresses - just as long as they get them. Also, emails that talk about a missing child or a child with an incurable disease "how would you feel if that was your child" --- email tracking. Ignore them and don't participate!</font>

</font>2) Almost all emails that ask you to add your name and forward on to others are similar to that mass letter years ago that asked people to send business cards to the little kid in<st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:state>who wanted to break the Guinness Book of Records for the most cards. All it was, and all any of this type of email is, is a way to get names and 'cookie' tracking information for telemarketers and spammers -- to validate active email accounts for their own</font>profitable</font>purposes.</font>

</font>You can do your Friends and Family members a GREAT favor by sending this information to them. You will be providing a service to your friends. And you will be rewarded by not getting thousands of spam emails in the future!</font>

</font>Do yourself a favor and</font>STOP</font>adding your name(s) to those types of listing regardless how inviting they might sound! Or make you feel guilty if you don't! It's all about getting email addresses and nothing more.</font>

</font>You may think you are supporting a GREAT cause, but you are NOT!</font>

</font>Instead, you will be getting tons of junk mail later and very possibly a virus attached! Plus, we are helping the spammers get rich! Let's not make it easy for them!</font></font></o:smarttag></o:smarttag></blockquote>

·
Registered
40 Posts
sound advice ****, i always add that if you dont know who its from or if you didnt ask for the email then just bin it without reading it, even previewing it in your mail cient can actually allow a virus in

1 - 20 of 35 Posts