Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Desmond for a round trip of 80 miles on the motorway this afternoon.
Feels really good, and certainly got heads turning

Very quiet in the cabin, comfy, and could really feel the difference between the three d - mode settings

What i did notice though was he felt like he needed a sixth gear to go into.

70 mph was 3500 rpm

I know he is a sizeable lad for a 1600 cc but this did take me by surprise a little.
A couple of times i felt like i was in third and went for fifth, only if to reassure myself i was in the correct gear.

I know there is now a whopping 100 miles on the clock, and a lot of loosening up to do, but i cant help but feel the revs are a little high, and not going to drop that much.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
one of the big comments was how the 1.6 n/a could do with a sixth gear,
which is one of the reasons I am glad i went for the diesel as this along with the DIG has a 6speed box

Edited by: deks36

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mm, I noticed this when I test drove the petrol. Revs too high.
But no way was I getting the petrol car so it wasn't an issue. I have to say the gears (6) on the diesel are very flexible and cruising is usually @ 1500 rpm. Sorry, but I do think it's an issue with the petrol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
3500 rpm on the mway at 70 isn't really that high. My Mini a much smaller vehichle I thin you will agree would sit at about 3250 when cruising on the Mway at 70..That only had 5 gears...
I have a DCi Juke, Altough I did test drive the petrol and didn't find it any higher revving than my Mini...

I would worry about it too much unless you are planning on doing a lot of m'way driving..

·
Registered
873 Posts
anotherbadname said:
I find my diesel will pull in 5th easily at 30 mph. and can pull along happily in 6th at 40.
Yeh I've been in 5th at 30 before and not noticed, and not felt like I needed to change down either. It still works surprisingly well.

In 5th gear, 1000rpm = 19.5mph, so it should rev at just over 3500 for 70mph, 4000 for 80mph etc. Other cars are a lot lower at these speeds. I think this is one of the main reasons people are finding the fuel economy disappointing as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's a simple trade off...
A 1.6 non-turbo hasn't got the grunt to do it all (like a diesel
)... so for goodaccelerationperformance you need low gearing but for low revs during motorway cruising you need high gearing..

The Juke is great fun to drive
and the lower gear ratio is one of the reasons..

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
This was the main reason I didnt go for the 1.6 petrol - I felt it was underpowered and desperately in need of a 6th gear....

pity really

Fee x

·
Registered
27 Posts
ive had my Juke 3 weeks today after having a 1.4 Petrol Honda Civic for 7 years.
I do like the styling and the features of my Juke but it is so underpowered. The Civic had much more oomph!! Maybe it will improve as it 'runs in', but if not, ill be changing it at the first opportunity.

i use normal mode most of the time. yes, sport mode improves things but dont want to degrade the already poor fuel economy.

Sounds like im Juke bashing this morning (dont mean to!), just a little dissapointed.

Edited by: beermatt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts