Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to turbo users :

do you remember how it was recommended to wait at idle before switching off the engine ...

whether this is also now or not and anybody is doing this now

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I remember this discussion years ago , I dont wait til let mine drain down I stop and switch off
from what I understand normal driving isnt the issue but if you just done a long trip at 80 then its adviseable to give engine a little time to calm down

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
as Deks says if you doing a long trip at high speeds (70-90) then you should allow the turbo to cool down before turning off the engine.
However saying that, no one lives on the motor way. Meaning that when you exit the fast lanes and spend the next 3-5 miles driving at 20-30 miles an hour to reach your finial destination, this could be clased as a cool down period. However, allowing the turno to idle for 30 seconds when u get home before turning off wont hurt you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Turbos are not mechanically driven by the engine, but by the exhaust gases (thus turbo lag). This causes them to run at very high speeds. If you turn the engine off while they are spinning at these high speeds you also stop the oil that is being pumped around them, lubricating their components.Less oil pressure, less lubrication, therefore the need to allow them to reduce their spinning speed before turning the engine off.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I always do a warm up and cool down no matter what speeds I drive at. The proof? In my roadster, my turbo lasted 177,000km then I fitted a new engine and kept the old turbo as a spare.

On most roadies, the average life seems to be 50 to 70,000 km.

I drive quite hard on the Autobhans averaging between 160 to 190kmh, so it's vital to treat the turbo with care.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Everytime I hear coupecruiser talk about his Roadster I feel slightly sad that I sold mine :(Chris

Edited by: clb1970

·
Registered
152 Posts
You don't need to wait at all nowadays before turning the engine off.The problem was in the early 80's when engine oil was not as good as it is now, and it was onlyrestrictedwhen you had a long and fast run on theGermanautoban with their long up-hill straight.No need at all now, engine oil and turbo improvement has made this a problem of the past.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Typically it takes about a minute to remove and stash driving glasses, retrieve all bits and pieces etc., before switching off the engine, so I should be OK.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't worry about it. Everything I've read as of late indicates that the concern of leaving the engine on to let the turbo cool is about as ancient as oil changes every 3000 miles

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Acrorat, yes I am still waiting, went to the dealer 2 week ago, they said that the system was showing delivery 10th of August, but even him was dubious.
Will go back next week, i want them to tell me for sure that they will keep my trade-in price when the Juke arrive, or I will give them the car now and they give me a courtesy car till the Juke is here.....really fed up of waiting and a bit concerned, I haven't seen a AWD on the road so far...

·
Registered
106 Posts
ilmor said:
I don't worry about it. Everything I've read as of late indicates that the concern of leaving the engine on to let the turbo cool is about as ancient as oil changes every 3000 miles
I still have to do those!The joys of a 34 year old camper van!Chris

·
Registered
452 Posts
rocky247 said:
Hi Acrorat, yes I am still waiting, went to the dealer 2 week ago, they said that the system was showing delivery 10th of August, but even him was dubious.
Will go back next week, i want them to tell me for sure that they will keep my trade-in price when the Juke arrive, or I will give them the car now and they give me a courtesy car till the Juke is here.....really fed up of waiting and a bit concerned, I haven't seen a AWD on the road so far...
10th August may be correct because I have the same spec. as you and mine is due in one month from today. It is at the docks in Japan. Probably next to yours??

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
as usually everyone has own point of view ...
I'll wait to cool down engine if I would have a time for that ...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts