Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I wrote last month about my petrol issues, since then i have done what some of you suggested and brimmed it twice comparing both, they both came out more or less the same which was about 36-37 mpg. the reason i am writing again is that even though i have done this mileage my trip computer was telling me i was doing 42mpg and it never went below 41mpg so by rights i should get what it says not 50 or 60 miles short. i did notice that when the petrol light came on it still had 2 bars left on the gage so we carried on driving it until they both went out and we carried on driving it some more at the end instead of letting it run out completly we decided to brim it again by this time we had done 364 miles. When we filled it up (bearing in mind the gage was saying we had nothing left) we could only get 41 ltrs in the tank, nissan say this is a 46ltr tank so if this correct i should of at least had another gallon left which would have given me another 40 miles, we done the same the second time we brimmed it again 41ltrs went in.Is this an issue with the tank or is the trip computer set up wrong.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The trip computer isn't a guarantee, just a guide. Also, the manual states that when the fuel gauge reads empty, there is still some fuel left in the tank. 364 miles is a decent amount for 1 tank, I wouldn't be too miffed at that!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the trip computer isn't a guarantee what is the point of having it i might aswell go by the fuel gauge and if it is telling me i am doing 42mpg i at minimum expect to get 400 miles out of the tank it can't be that far out that i am losing 50 to 60 miles per tank.

·
Registered
106 Posts
364 miles on 41litres is 40MPG, not too far off what your computer is telling you... I wouldn't worry too much

·
Registered
21 Posts
My base 1.6 says a little over 40 on the trip comput but when i do the math on a full to full run i get nearer 37, not sure how far that gets me but i fill up at just under a half tankevery 180 miles or so - once a week, which is ok but im used to my last car, a deisqel scenic that gave over 50mpg, and about 800mpg between fillups, less than once a month

·
Registered
998 Posts
steveapple said:
a deisqel scenic that gave over 50mpg, and about 800mpg between fillups, less than once a month

Great , I'll have to buy a Scenic with that MPG figure.

Sorry I know what you meant but couldn't resist. Tc

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nissan advertised the Juke, petrol 1.6, as being capable of 450 miles from one tank of fuel.
I would be doing cartwheels if i got 300 miles from a full tank, bearing in mind 40 quid can fill a tank mind you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think the issue with the trip computer is, it only counts consumption per distancetraveled, that means if you are in heavy traffic, it doesn't count all the times you are at a full stop. At least that's what I understand from the computer, because the calculation is based on L/miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Justajuke said:
I think the issue with the trip computer is, it only counts consumption per distancetraveled, that means if you are in heavy traffic, it doesn't count all the times you are at a full stop. At least that's what I understand from the computer, because the calculation is based on L/miles.
??????????? Can you explain this theory?

·
Registered
446 Posts
It definitely does count when you are stationary, if I'm stuck in traffic for any length of time, the average fuel consumption goes down as fuel is being burnt without any miles being added. It's simply a matter of dividing miles driven by gallons used - I imagine the inaccuracies come in working out the exact amount of fuel used. I know with my Voyager (and as far as I know, all common rail diesels) that the fuel used wasn't simply the fuel pumped to the rail, as there was leakback from the injectorswhere excess fuel was returned to the tank, I'm not sure what technology the Dci uses.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I hope to find some more information on how the trip computer calculates - based on miles, time, a combination or measures how much fuel is passing the injectors. But I already spot an issue when the immediate calculation says 8 MPG at idle, since in reality it should be 0 MPG.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hope this clears the tank capacity issue. I had seen so many queiries I contacted Nissan and their reply is below.

REF: 1-2ZMX63

Thank you for your e-mail to Nissan on 23/04/12 regarding the Nissan Juke fuel capacity.

I can confirm for you that the Nissan Juke has a fuel tank capacity of 46l while the DIG-T has a 50l tank. For further assistance on this matter we would recommend you contact your local Nissan dealers technical department and they will help further with your enquiry.
I hope this information has been useful. If there is anything else that you feel we may be able to assist with, or if you would like a test drive in any of our models, please do not hesitate to contact us at Nissan Customer Support on 08457 669966. You may also visit us at http://www.nissan.co.uk/ - www.nissan.co.uk</A> for further details on any of our vehicles and for a selection of e-brochures.

Yours Sincerely,

Sean Madden

Nissan Customer Service GB
Opening Hours Mon - Fri: 08.00 - 20.00, Sat: 10.00 - 16.00
Tel: 08457 669966
Fax: 01923899918
E-mail: mailto:[email protected] - [email protected]</A>
Web: http://www.nissan.co.uk/ - www.nissan.co.uk</A>

·
Registered
873 Posts
It is in fact only the AWD DIG-T that has a 50l tank, according to the official spec sheet

·
Registered
422 Posts
The fuel gauge is only a guide as well. Such is life.
Even the old stick through the filler routine of many moons ago was only a guide.
Better that the guide tells you that it is imminently running out of juice before it does than afterwards when it is too late and you are stranded. You will find that the range indicator re-sets to a default value when the tank is brimmed and gives you a far more accurate estimated range after driving 50 miles or more after a re-fill.

There is no physical gadget that measures fuel used these days. It is all done by a calculator built into the ECU that measures parameters like load, throttle opening and the amount of fuel actually injected in theory along with distance covered. There is a fuel gauge and float device in the tank, of course, in order to estimate the fuel carried when the tank is topped up but not perhaps filled. And to populate the gauge on the dash of course.

Edited by: Quacker

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to let all juke owners that nissan have there knickers in a twist with me as I have started tweeting my issues even as far head office in Japan o they did not like that hay so what they are not giving you what you paid for ie 46l tank 47.1mpg so you should do 471 mile not 305 and use 1&3/4 to do 455 miles so if you still have issues start tweeting at #NissanUK and watch how fast they move as they are reneged on the car sale falsely saying it does something and does not
Edited by: Weenorrie1

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ah, so you're unhappy with Nissan's published fuel economy numbers? Problem with them is that they're from a standard EU test which Nissan are forced by law to give out just like every other vehicle manufacturer. They're not a claim by Nissan they're designed for comparison between cars - I.e. car x is more economical than car y.

The EU test is a joke. It's not representative of real world use at all.

Nissan do not promise the car will do that mpg. It's a very common misconception that the EU numbers are a claim of real world MPG but unfortunately they're not. That said your mpg does sound very poor so maybe there is an issue with your car, but its hard to say without more details as to what sort of journeys you do. It could be perfectly normal, then again you might have a binding brake or similar. If you can explain more about the type of journeys you do and the speeds you travel at then other owners will be able to give you better feedback as to how your mpg compares to theirs. Hopefully that will give you a better indication as to whether your mpg is normal or not.

This link explains the test - you can see how absurd it is. For example in the extra urban test the car goes from 0 to 43mph but takes 41 seconds to get there. The only time it hits over 62 mph is 10 seconds spent at 80 mph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_European_Driving_Cycle

·
Registered
151 Posts
All manufacturers publish unrealisticfuel economy numbers. If one decided to be 'honest' then they wouldn't sell any cars!If company A quoted 40mpg for their similar model, company B quotes35 mpg and company C knew their car was somewhere in the middle then they publish 38 mpg.It only takes one company to exaggerate their figures first. Well that is my theory!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts