Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had one of those 'what if' questions pop into my head.....

....we've agreed a price for part exchange with the dealership and although delivery dates on the Juke appear to be getting shorter I wondered if a 3-4 month wait between order and delivery would adversely affect the p/x price. My wife clocks up about 1,600 commuting miles a month so we could be looking at another 6k on the clock by the time we pick up the new car - is the dealer legally bound to honour the initial price agreed

On a related topic has anyone had any experience of dealerships trying to renegotiate p/x prices by 'discovering' scratches/bumps etc. that they maintain have appeared since the p/x price was agreed

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi stormtrooper I far as I am Aware yes they are legally bound by this , I with had the same thought ordered mine on the 26th Aug delivery date moved 4 times now on for the 12 Oct so if it comes than I will have an extra 3k on mine

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you have agreed a deal then the deal should stand.
I would be livid if the dealer tried to renegotiate the price because they can't give me my new car on the expected date. In your case the dealer will have known that the car will be used up to exchange date and should have factored it into the part exchange price.
If you get to exchange day and the dealer tries to revalue the part-ex, I would play hardball. After all they have an unsold new Juke on their forecourt if they can't reach agreement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if you signed the documents for the deal quoted then the dealership can not go back on this as it is a legal document.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
value of used cars go down month on month
my dealer offered me below book price and would move because of a months wait on mine the only way i could get more was to agree to hand over p/x early which i did
best thing you can do is phone the dealer and confirm with him rather than waiting til the date and end up arguing with them about

I am not certain but i wouldnt think it was legally binding after all lots can happen between order and delivery date

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Diamondjue said:
I'm pretty sure that if you signed the documents for the deal quoted then the dealership can not go back on this as it is a legal document.
maybe true but contract would have condition of p/x on so if that alters you would also be in breach of contract
contracts work both ways

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wouldn't think they're legally bound - there'll almost certainly be something in the small print.

My only experience was when I bought my current car and a part exchange was agreed when I put in my order, despite the dealer never having seen the old car (we were in a different car to the one to be px'd as we'd only reallypopped in for a quick look-see and weren't planning on buying that day!).Delivery was only several weeks away as well.

It really depends onyou, the dealer and the car you're p/x-ing. If you were up front that you're doing 1600 miles a month, thenI would expectthat the dealer eitherdoesn't mind or that the p/x valueyou've got might bea compromise between its value now and its value with 6000 extra miles. If you weren't up front, then there could (I won'tgo as far as"will") be issues.

If you're p/x-ing say a two year old car that a buyer might expect to be in very good nick andaverage mileage then an extra 6000 miles ora new scratch or ding might make a difference. If you're p/x-ing an old snotter where it's already a reasonable mileage and scratches and dings are to be expected, not so much.

I'm not sure what the situation legally is, but certainly I'd bevery upfront, explain the situation and agree (even verbally) with the dealer what will happen given the long wait. Maybe get the Sales Manager to be party totheagreement also. And if in doubt, geteverything in writing!

·
Registered
87 Posts
In the talks I had with my dealer he told me the p/x value now and we agreed on a reduced figure based on the lead times and the current average monthly mileage. If I do more miles than normal in the next three months then I guess they lose out a little. However the p/x value offered never favours the customer does it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We haven't actually signed anything yet - had 2 test drives and then negotiated the deal over the phone. Have paid the £500 deposit and ordered the car but not put pen to paper or have anything in writing regarding value of p/x and discount on the Juke etc. ......

I don't really want to be in a position of arguing the toss on the day I pick up the car but equally I don't want to raise the issue of a reduced p/x with the dealer in case it gives him idesas......

Edited by: Stormtrooper

·
Registered
754 Posts
Stormtrooper said:
We haven't actually signed anything yet - had 2 test drives and then negotiated the deal over the phone. Have paid the £500 deposit and ordered the car but not put pen to paper or have anything in writing regarding value of p/x and discount on the Juke etc. ......
Same position on no paperwork signed here.
I don't really want to be in a position of arguing the toss on the day I pick up the car but equally I don't want to raise the issue of a reduced p/x with the dealer in case it gives him idesas......
I can see your point, but the bargaining position is in your favour if they have the Juke ready and waiting to go on the day.
Edited by: silverjuke

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
so you both have given up £500 and no paperwork
erm so the dealer could say he hasnt agreed anything then

·
Registered
142 Posts
they will have valued your car for a p/ex at the date of delivery.. assuming the extra mileage is consistent with that already clocked up, then I would think you are OK
Bear in mind Nissan P/Ex's seem low, always worth sticking it on autotrader for a week or two whilst your waiting, even webuyanycar offered me more than Nissan although I hear they almost always chip the price am bit on seeing the car, however they (online) offered me 2k more than the dealer

·
Registered
754 Posts
deks36 said:
so you both have given up £500 and no paperwork
erm so the dealer could say he hasnt agreed anything then

I know, silly mistake.
They wouldn't do the deal in the showroom, then phoned me and said if I signed up over the phone that day, as it was 31st August, they could do the deal.

·
Registered
754 Posts
simps said:
they will have valued your car for a p/ex at the date of delivery.. assuming the extra mileage is consistent with that already clocked up, then I would think you are OK
Bear in mind Nissan P/Ex's seem low, always worth sticking it on autotrader for a week or two whilst your waiting, even webuyanycar offered me more than Nissan although I hear they almost always chip the price am bit on seeing the car, however they (online) offered me 2k more than the dealer
Webuyanycar quoted me exactly what both dealers did. Bearing in mind that webuyanycar hadn't seen the odd carpark chip and the dealers had, plus webuyanycar's reputation, it seemed sensible to stick with the part-ex.
Problem with selling privately is I would be without my car while I wait for the Juke.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can't believe some of these dealers are taking deposits for that amount of money! We paid £200 but that was totally refundable if we didn't like it. Then we got in writing a px price for our car and the amount that was payable on the day of pick up.

We are like you silverjuke have never sold our cars privately for the same reason.

·
Registered
115 Posts
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Paid £100 deposit and as I am using my car, as full deposit the £100 will be refunded at pick up.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Small print on order.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">If the part ex vehicle is not delivered within 30 days or the mileage recorded exceeds the mileage stated by more than 10%, the company may make a reasonable deduction from the allowance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all for their thoughts - just going to wait and see whether thedealer tries to push down the p/x price and argue from there if necessary.Our car is high mileage anyway so even if we do put another few 000 on the clock I feel we've got a strong argument for the p/x not being reduced

1 - 18 of 18 Posts