Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm on my way back from the Uk. I left Norwich today at 2am and headed at a leisurely pace to Dover hoping that I could catch an earlier ferry. BINGO, it worked.

Drove through France, speed limit 130kmh. Drove through Belgium, speed limit 120kmh. Drove through The Netherlands, speed limit 110kmh.

Then I crossed the border into Germany. NO SPEED LIMIT!

OMG! This car is a mean son of a gun on the Autobahn! When I drove over last week I had to take it easy because of running in.

Not the case this time. This beast eats almost everything and it's such a superlitious, funky, don't mess with me, awesome, passion wagon. It will sit there at 220kmh and not even flinch.

Also, although my speed is high, the fuel consumption is much better too. I filled up at Dover, had half a tank. And now I have just filled up again, but I have not clocked my distance, I only know the I have been on the go for five and a half hours, minus 90 mins for the ferry crossing an a few stops.

I still have 548km to go.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
what were your revs like at that speed?
220KM is about 135-140 MPH lol.
very fast and your stillen exhaust must have sounded amazing at that speed!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
The British Motorway Police would have a field day, if they clocked you doing that speed over here. You are alright doing 80 to 85 mph, but over that you are taking chances and with that many traffic controled cameras about, it's a bit risky these days.
I usually watch the Motorway Cops programme on Thurs night (BBC1) and it's surprising how many people get caught.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will tell you tomorrow because I'm still not home. I stopped for a sleep and now sausage and chips just above Munich. I still have about 180km to go.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
meaga-byte said:
and i do belive the dig t,manual is a bit quicker

·
Registered
912 Posts
Lady juke said:
Not really Geoff, it would be a boring half hour if the programe showed motorists obeying the law!
I agree, but being an ex truck driver, Iv'e seen loads of idiots on the motorways and it really makes my day when I see these sort of drivers getting nicked. One guy came round the outside of me in a BMW and tried to go off up the slip road accross the front of me. Yes he clipped my front endwhich turned his car over. You should not argue with a 40 ton truck. Luckily he climbed out with just minor bruises and was arrested for dangerous driving. He got what he deserved for being such a stupid idiot. After twenty five years of truck driving, I could write a book about what I havewitnessed, through drivers taking chances, especially on motorways.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Of course Lorry drivers never break the law or cause any sort of chaos or hold ups,
slightly one sided view Geoff and when a "40ton" truck breaks the law the consequences are far worse than a car driver speeding by 10 mph.
One case springs dirctly to mind like the family killed by a truck driver on his mobile phone local to me a few years ago. I have even personally experienced a 40 ton truck pull out into the 4th lane of a motorway in front of me nearly taking the front of my car off I've had one overtake me and I was doing 70 mph the list goes on

·
Registered
283 Posts
It doesn't matter what speed you are doing, people that drive at 45/50 mph on the motorway, are just as dangerous, but they always think that they are safe as they are slow...You get the plonkers that drive dangerously, the ones which only ever hog the middle lane, the ones which speed up when you go to over take them, the ones that you go past, then they overtake you and slow right down....the list goes on...I drive to what I feel comfortable doing, this changes from car to car, and Hiro always begs to go faster!
So what am I supposed to do?!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I agree with what has been said about truck drivers, and those drivers who hug the middle lane. But 95% of truck drivers, drive safely. The worst drivers are the reps and white van drivers. Most accidents caused by trucks are foreign drivers, especially the eastern block drivers. I can honestly say that after 50 years of driving, I have a safe driving record (20 of these being a hgv driver). But most accidents are causedby speeding or drunken drivers. Statistics proove this.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Even though I dislike links as above people have no idea where they are linked (self preservation I never click on a link like this) You are right
speeding DOES NOT kill, inappropriate speed or drivers that cant handle speed kill not SPEED

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
meaga-byte said:
The exhaust sounded AMAZING! I love loud cars anyway.

The revs. Good question, I did not take note as at that speed eyes are strictly on the road.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Geoff_Juke said:
The British Motorway Police would have a field day, if they clocked you doing that speed over here. You are alright doing 80 to 85 mph, but over that you are taking chances and with that many traffic controled cameras about, it's a bit risky these days.
I usually watch the Motorway Cops programme on Thurs night (BBC1) and it's surprising how many people get caught.
Whilst in the UK I did of course have a play but I never went above 160kmh which is 100mph.

(My sat nav came with poi's and speed cameras already installed).

But, in Germany, someone has always got something faster. The Big BMWs, Mercs and Audis are the Highway cruisers mainly. I was taken a few times whils driving over 200kmh by such cars, and you cant catch them.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.