Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Like alot of you I'm waiting for my juke to arrive! I had a test drive in it the other day and played around with the sat nav it seemed pretty good! But is it worth getting rid of my Tom Tom? I can't seem to find any reviews on Nissan connect!
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Not yet an owner myself however we tested the SatNav out on our test drive along side TomTom and found the Nissan Connect system as good (if not better) than our TomTom (Running on a HTC Kaiser Windows Mobile). The Nissan system was faster to pickup a GPS fix, had a bigger screen and seemed to track the car better. It's almost certainly not without it's faults but we didn't see any whilst driving. Only thing I didn't like is I couldn't find a way to see the GPS speed which I use alot on TomTom.

The Nissan Connect system is used in a number of new Nissans, here's a review I found on the QQ unit.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/car-tech/review/2009/07/08/Nissan-Qashqai--2-n-tec-1-5dCi/p4

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've only had my Juke for 24 hours so have only used the sat nav to go to and from work (I do know the way!). I suspect I'm going to prefer my Tom Tom which puts up visuals of motorway junctions and seems to give you the instructions a little earlier but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I'd like to be able to change the voice and the colours like you can on Tom Toms and to be able to download speed camera databases too. I haven't been able to test out the traffic delay warnings yet- my Tom Tom was very good with those.

At the end of the day, the main thing will be whether it gets you to where you want to be without too much hassle. I'm due to go from Cumbria to my brother's in Suffolk soon and always get lost so I'll run both systems and see how they compare.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Very true Ginnym, lets see if Nissan Connect tells you to drive in to a lake or drive off a cliff like some others used to ;).

Re: SpeedCameras if you have a sub the PocketGPSWorld speed camera database they have instructions here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-nissan-connect.php For those of us who don't have a subscription I found another database but not entirely sure if its up to date, will post tonight after I've had a check!

I've heard rumours of people putting config files on the SD card to change settings but these are only rumours and not guides, plus not sure how you'd explain to Nissan that you broke the satnav if it messed up whilst messing with it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Driving with the connect about a week now.

Navigation is good, simpel just like tomtom.
Quick and correct. i even got the speed camera database (form holland) on it. Just transfering it by usb on to the radio. Works great, give a sign when you;re approching a speedtrap (even when you're listening radio when it not on satnav screen)

carkit function doenst do great, prob of my phone. It works half, and then disconnects, also the phonebook has the be transfered and does not doe it autom.

so it it better then a tomtom or what ever, yes, only because of the reverse camera, and I don;t like the cheap look of a tomtom sticked on the windshield

·
Registered
204 Posts
I haven't messed around with setting (or looked at the instructions) so it is easy to transfer stuff like camera databased onto the SD card?

nissanjukebox - I've paired an iPhone and so far it seems fine, the address book transferred instantly.

Anyone know anything about connecting an iPod through the USB? When I plugged mine in, it just started playing from the first track (in alphabetical order) and wouldn't let me select anything. Do I need to set up playlists?

·
Registered
345 Posts
ginnym said:
I haven't messed around with setting (or looked at the instructions) so it is easy to transfer stuff like camera databased onto the SD card?

nissanjukebox - I've paired an iPhone and so far it seems fine, the address book transferred instantly.

Anyone know anything about connecting an iPod through the USB?  When I plugged mine in, it just started playing from the first track (in alphabetical order) and wouldn't let me select anything.  Do I need to set up playlists?
i uploaded the speed cameras with the usb stick

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that a go as speed camera databases are important to me!

I've worked out my iPod and the Connect - I've never had a system that would use an iPod before so I hadn't figured that I could control it all from the car if I pressed the AUX button!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! great help! i will probably use the inbuilt sat nav for local journeys and longer journeys i will use the tom tom!
when i had my test drive i plugged my ipod in pressed AUX and i could select any song and any playlist

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can anyone say how old the mapping data is for cars recently delivered? How often does this get updated, and has anyone seen any pricing information for map updates?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have had a connect on my note for eighteen months now and I can say that Nissan are not overly bothered about map updates.Whilst a good system with voice traffic and road condition updates on the fly, you will have to go the extra mile to get voice, speed camera databases & map updates from web based sources.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Personally, I wasn't that bothered about the sat nav as I use my Android phone for that with google maps, and don't need a camera to reverse, so didn't see any value in going for the Tekna modelover Acenta. Still happy with my decision :D

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Hiya folks
Can anyone tell me WHAT DATE is printed on the Connect satnavs SD card. There have been loads of issues with Qashqai owners getting 2008 and 2009 issues with their split new cars.
Can someone check what is printed on the SD card - better still could you post a pic?
Many thanksFee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts