1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
some very negative comments at the bottom

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
This leaves me wondering if the author actually drove the car!!!
I have had many types of car in my 30 plus years of driving - including a good many years on the circuit in various formulas. In my opinion the CVT box is pure genius..............
From take off to dead stop the gear changes are seamless, the Juke delivers smooth constant acceleration in both Eco and Normal modes. Only when in Spots mode do you feel the Jukes high revving engine challenge the CVT's graceful nature. When flooring it from a standing start the CVT gives the impression of searching for a suitable gear to launch you - this is only momentarily the case and the Juke is then away - fast and smooth. The high revs soon die away as speed increases and the CVT once again proves its worth delivering a seamless driving experience. (This is further enhanced by using the Spots button on the gear lever, holding the gears longer - similar to an overdrive facility) But using this will certainly eat into the MPG figures. (Bothered?)
Cornering in the Juke Tekna CVT 1.6 Petrol is not as good as a BMW, Golf, Astra etc.............. but did you expect it to be? The cornering is good for a car of this ride height and as yet has not left me feeling worried when cornering at speed, but then I always drive to the conditions and the limits of the car.
If you want a car that corners like a BMW - Go buy a BMW.......... Thats not what I bought the Juke for.
Is the Juke really that noisy? I have never driven a quieter car - what road noise? My area suffers from poor road surfaces generally and I am not finding the Juke noisy at all.
In truth there is very little that critics can say about the Juke from a Drive point of view - it is a great drive for the price, where it falls down is on the interior build quality, dash, lighting etc which has been well documented on this forum already.
This is obviously one mans view of his Juke - a very happy man - glad he made a good choice for once.
If you read this far - thanks
If you are waiting for your Juke - its worth it
If you have yours - post your experience - not only MPG or Colour or Delivery or even Customer Service
How Does Yours Drive??? and how does it make YOU Feel?
12inch

Edited by: 12Inchmick

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's odd how so many people have such varying experiences. Journalese seems to demand a bit of good and a bit of bad, for balance

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm with you **** ! You gotta compare apples with apples ! May as well say, it's not got the accelaration of a 911 ! So what ! It's a new market niche so there is no direct comparison ! Really wish they would stop doing this !

As you say, road surface affects noise - could be the demo had different tyres as well ! Again I agree with ****, it's a really quiet car !

I think the word that I'm looking for is [email protected] !

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned it's a great drive, and I had alfa romeos for 11 years ! I cannot think of anything that really bothers me so far !Really look forward to going out in it !Never popt to tesco so much in my life ! Got manual turbo and it goes like a bat out of !!! Fuel consumption? So what ! Knew what I was letting myself in fot withthe turbo !

Oh yeah, there is a down side ! All the dodgy people on the owners forum ! Lol !Edited by: kennyp

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think ****'s comments just further reveal the subjectivity of any review. All reviews are valid whether we agree or not. One man's meat is another man's poison and so on.

To me mpg is crucial in my evaluation. Acceleration is emphatically not. Engine noise annoys me to bits. Road noise not so much. Top speed? Don't care. Cornering? I'm not a rally driver and I don't drive as if I am so not bothered. Gears? I like a good gear-change but a notchy one doesn't wind me up.

For me it's comfort, mpg, engine noise, general appearance, reliability, decent workmanship.

So I would respectfully ask **** not to advise people to avoid issues of mpg, colour, delivery or customer service because if that's crucial to YOU then you SHOULD be commenting on it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well said that man (****)

So what would I say so far....A year ago we were looking for a smaller car, that was fun to drive, we weren't worried about fuel as it was going to be replacing a RR Sport Supercharged, but we literally needed it for nipping in to town and for maybe doing the school run. Unfortunately the Juke wasn't around and there was no news of it's impending arrival(that we knew of or being told), but it would have been perfect, as it was I brought a RenaultSport Twingo 133, which was great fun to drive until we found out my son wasn't going to be going to the school up the road but one 5 miles away down pot hole city back roads! So before Christmas we started to look again, just on the off chance and found The Juke....
We were lucky enough to be able to test drive straight away, and it was awesome -- my husband adores the CVT engine(takes some getting used to!), and he proudly performed the test that he does with all our cars, driving around a roundabout on constant revs(made me sick!), but my god I've not seen him so excited in 'one of my cars'! We tested it out along speed bumps, and yeah it's not a Range Rover but it doesn't profess to be, and it certainly doesn't have the price tag either.
I don't find it noisy, even when traveling down the said pot holed roads on school runs, and I really think it's quiet when going along the motorway -- okay, there are some rattles, but over all I love the interior (although hard backed front seats would be good, as we have muddy backed ones now!). I love the silliness of the information, the g-force etc, it just makes me smile.
And I love it's looks, and have had soooooo many people tell me how 'cute' they think it looks.
Overall, it seems that a lot of the reviewers aren't quite 'getting' what the Juke is about, it's not a boring Golf, it's not an economical Fiesta and it's not a weirdy beardy hybrid car -- it's a different car, one that allows you to have fun, to do the mundane job with the smile on your face, and well feel special...
Jumping off the soapbox now....

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
12inch
jayannlay said:
I think ****'s comments just further reveal the subjectivity of any review. All reviews are valid whether we agree or not. One man's meat is another man's poison and so on.

To me mpg is crucial in my evaluation. Acceleration is emphatically not. Engine noise annoys me to bits. Road noise not so much. Top speed? Don't care. Cornering? I'm not a rally driver and I don't drive as if I am so not bothered. Gears? I like a good gear-change but a notchy one doesn't wind me up.

For me it's comfort, mpg, engine noise, general appearance, reliability, decent workmanship.

So I would respectfully ask **** not to advise people to avoid issues of mpg, colour, delivery or customer service because if that's crucial to YOU then you SHOULD be commenting on it.
Jayannlay, you are right - of course you are. My post was not intended to put a cap on issues that others may have.Goes to show even the most seasoned forum poster can get it wrong. So I am happy to be told off and take one on the chin.
To clarify, my beef was with journalistic reviewers who have to try and knock a great product. I know it is subjective and has to be balanced, however I wanted to add my thoughts.
Also my review was aimed mostly at the CVT and Noise aspects of this particular review.
Forgive me if I have offended anyone......................

·
Registered
659 Posts
No offence taken!

And I do appreciate that motoring journalists generally have a different set of priorities which doesn't usually include the 'boring' elements such as mpg, reliability or customer service.

In sheer drive/ride terms though I would say that the car IS a bit jiggly and a bit noisy. I love it but I can see that many wouldn't. And if you happen not to like its looks then I don't think it's a good enough car in other respects to persuade you to give it a chance.

Just my two penny worth...

·
Registered
231 Posts
12Inchmick said:
I have had many types of car in my 30 plus years of driving - including a good many years on the circuit in various formulas. In my opinion the CVT box is pure genius..............
From take off to dead stop the gear changes are seamless, the Juke delivers smooth constant acceleration in both Eco and Normal modes. Only when in Spots mode do you feel the Jukes high revving engine challenge the CVT's graceful nature. When flooring it from a standing start the CVT gives the impression of searching for a suitable gear to launch you - this is only momentarily the case and the Juke is then away - fast and smooth. The high revs soon die away as speed increases and the CVT once again proves its worth delivering a seamless driving experience. (This is further enhanced by using the Spots button on the gear lever, holding the gears longer - similar to an overdrive facility) But using this will certainly eat into the MPG figures. (Bothered?)
Cornering in the Juke Tekna CVT 1.6 Petrol is not as good as a BMW, Golf, Astra etc.............. but did you expect it to be? The cornering is good for a car of this ride height and as yet has not left me feeling worried when cornering at speed, but then I always drive to the conditions and the limits of the car.
If you want a car that corners like a BMW - Go buy a BMW.......... Thats not what I bought the Juke for.
Is the Juke really that noisy? I have never driven a quieter car - what road noise? My area suffers from poor road surfaces generally and I am not finding the Juke noisy at all.
In truth there is very little that critics can say about the Juke from a Drive point of view - it is a great drive for the price, where it falls down is on the interior build quality, dash, lighting etc which has been well documented on this forum already.
This is obviously one mans view of his Juke - a very happy man - glad he made a good choice for once.
If you read this far - thanks
If you are waiting for your Juke - its worth it
If you have yours - post your experience - not only MPG or Colour or Delivery or even Customer Service
How Does Yours Drive??? and how does it make YOU Feel?
12inch
I agree with you, for us the Juke is a fantastic car. It looks great, drives even better, the 1.6 n/a engine is more than reasonable on fuel even when the loud pedal is being used alot in sport mode. The handling is more than aceptable around B roads, if I wanted to take corners at 85mph I would buy a Lotus - but the child seats may be little hard to fit in the back!

The Juke makes you smile when you drive it,
theres not alot of cars that can do that without spending silly money!! All cars have thier critiques, I am not one of the Jukes.
We have been lucky enough to have had our Accenta Sport since September, the Juke is well worth the wait. We love it

Edited by: Bo & Luke Juke

·
Registered
164 Posts
12Inchmick said:
Hang on - the review wasn't that bad! OK - so he didn't particularly like the CVT and commented on the road noise. Everything else was pretty favourable - 8/10, 9/10 if forgoing the top-of-the-range CVT 4WD model.

Of course, I've not even driven a Juke yet, but that review is not even close to putting me off it at all.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
ctrollen said:
12Inchmick said:
Hang on - the review wasn't that bad! OK - so he didn't particularly like the CVT and commented on the road noise. Everything else was pretty favourable - 8/10, 9/10 if forgoing the top-of-the-range CVT 4WD model.

Of course, I've not even driven a Juke yet, but that review is not even close to putting me off it at all.
I agree my opening line might have been harsh...........
As I said in my response above my beef was with the CVT and Noise elements of the review, most of the rest I agree with.
CVT's are still quite rare out there given the supply issues, so I want to big up this option. Its not as bad as it is being painted. If customers are prepared to wait they will be well rewarded.
12inch

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well here goes what I think about the Dci. My last car was a Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel turbo so it's a bit of a change. I went for the Juke for two reasons, one My Son worked for Nissan so I got an attractive discount and two I was sick of the boring everyday cars that you see on the road. i picked the diesel for the economy but i new very well that i wouldn't get the mpg that I was getting from the Yaris, the yaris was doing 59 mpg. So how do i find it, well first the economy is about what I expected so far it's got between 48- 50 mpg. i must agree with Jayannlay the diesel is the nosiest diesel I've owned and I've had about ten, the comfort is very good and it's a pleasure to ride around in it whether I'm in the passenger seat or driving. I like the six speed box but i think it needs a slightly higher sixth gear for economy, I love the gadgets and the blutooth and once it gets gonig the diesel is reasonbly quiet it's just accelerating it's noisy. It's nippy faster than my Yaris and actually corners better.( I don't hang about on the national speed limit roads). I would like a bigger quieter diesel engine and much the same as what **** says. My pupils love it and once I explain it's actually smaller than a Ford Focus they soon calm down. it's three inches higher so looks bigger.Iv'e found that an advantage being higher and it's much easier to reverse than my Yaris due to the big mirrors. so all in all i love it. Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
I apologise to any IOW residents on this site, but I cannot take seriously a review produced by a motoring journalist (?) from Ventnor. It is a bit like expecting Jeremy Clarkson to produce a sensible review of the Nissan Cube. Actually, he did test it, sort of.

Anyway it was a poorly written review and largely lifted (I suspect) from other reviews on the internet.

The idea that it iscompetitive in price to the Mini Countryman is bo***cks!. I did the exercise and a similarly specked Countryman would cost at least £5,000 more than the 4WD Juke. It also looks like a pumped up shoebox, the Countryman that is.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I like reading the reviews that have been written about the Juke. I read only as interest as I have researched the car for myself and I am satisfied that I have made the correct decision in buying this car for the purpose I require. As previously said "One mans meat ......." and I aint no sheep.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts