Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone knows how the juke fairs in weather like we had last winter? or at least when its icy and not very nice or with a light dusting of snow - may be not the few feet that fell in some parts of the country lol.
Im hoping mine will get me to school in weather deemed not bad enough to constitute a snow day, we had some pretty nasty weather here a few times last winter and getting to work wasn't much fun.
Bex

·
Registered
540 Posts
Welcome to our happy bunch here on the forum...

It depends upon what model you have, I don't see it in your signature.
Obviously the 4WD version should have the best traction.
There have been a few posts from members since last year. If you do a search through the forum you'll find them.
There are mixed replies and experiences but, basically comes down to the ability of both driver and car.
Fingers crossed that you have a safe journey through winter and consider winter tyres.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a 2.0 Diesel Jag last year, 2WD on new tyres.It would just glide up and down snow and ice covered roads on tick-over quite happily passing abandoned 4x4s at the side of the road.Nice heavy car, low RPM and decent tyres seems to do the trickChris

·
Registered
88 Posts
I thought the Juke performed reasonably well last winter, certainly better than other models I have owned (FWD). I did however purchase a new set of wheels and snow tyres which I was extremely pleased with, as we had some horrible weather across the Pennines. There are plenty of posts regarding tyres on the forum, as Dougal has mentioned.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Quite a lot depends upon the driver as well.

Last winter I was taking a quiet narrow road just to take in the wintry scenery (5 or so inches of snow, ice beneath) in the old faithful Yaris Verso. An old-style Landrover came along behind me revving and tail-gating. At an appropriate moment I pulled over enough to let him by (no thanks or anything!). About half a mile further on, much to my amusement, he'd slid on a corner and wedged his vehicle nicely between hedge and snow-filled ditch.

He got a brief wave from me as I passed him by - gently-gently, smiley-smiley

·
Registered
133 Posts
tyres tyres tyres

I would go as far as to say a 2wd with proper winter tyres (even just on the front) will be as good as a 4wd on normal rubber.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Juke Acenta Premium 1.6 didn't cope very well in side streets where cars like Corsas and Fiestas were. Perhaps the Jukes greater tyre surface area was a hindrance in this case causing the tyres to behave like slicks whereas the narrower tyres on the smaller cars enabled the tyres to cut through the snow andreach the tarmac. Someone suggested that turning off the ESP might help. I'll give it a try next winter. Diesel Jukes may fare better having more weight on the front end. They're still great cars though.

Dave (jevvyjuke)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi guys,
thanks for all the responses, tyres are defo something I will be thinking about and ive gone for the 1.6l acenta sport so no 4wd for me.
cheers

·
Registered
912 Posts
Having wide tyres has always been an issue, against cars fitted with narrower tyre sets. I remember years and years ago, my old man had an old Y type Ford (1954 before the days of mot) which had very narrow tyres compared to cars of today, a bit like motorcycle tyres, and it cut through snow like a knife through butter. Unless you fit special snow tyres, you won't get much traction on snow with wide section tyres.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This was a main concern we had when we decided to get rid of our Freelander…Having horses we need to get to the stables early in the mornings.I intend getting a set of snow chains which should hopefully keep us going..

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm sure you know, but chains are illegal if used on uk roads....how ever snow socks are not ;)<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

Sean

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
beltanedeath said:
I'm sure you know, but chains are illegal if used on uk roads....how ever snow socks are not ;)<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display: none;">

Sean
Are you sure they are illegal I cant find any reference to them being illegal, although I doubt there would be many occasions in the UK when chains would be of benefit

·
Registered
131 Posts
No they are not illegal at all..even Halfords sell them..Snow shoes are another option..will have a good search & get whichever is the best.. decent ones start about £100 ish..

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
**** of a lot of companies selling them in the Uk just so we can drive to the Alps..Don't believe Halfords would stock them just for that purpose..

·
Registered
126 Posts
just because someone sells them doesn't make illegal to use in the uk. ie: radar detectors.

but I stand corrected, the legislation states (and I will paraphrase here if you don't mind)
the snow must be deep enough and firm enough so that the chains can not damage the road. So basically if the chain is touching the tarmac it's an offence.

Sean
<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

·
Registered
796 Posts
insanojackson said:
tyres tyres tyres

I would go as far as to say a 2wd with proper winter tyres (even just on the front) will be as good as a 4wd on normal rubber.
Interesting advice.

I would never mix summer and winter tyres. That is very dangerous and I dont know about back home in the UK, but here in the Alps, if you did this, firstly the police would have an issue with you, and secondly, if you had an accident, your insurance wouls be voided.

AS for 2wd's performance on winter tyres, it can not rival a 4wd.

·
Registered
540 Posts
<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr ="msgableRow"><tr ="msgableRow" style="height: 200px; min-height: 200px;"><td ="msgLineDevider" valign="top">

<div ="msg">

"If snow chains are illegal in the UK, then why are they available from here.

http://www.snowchains.co.uk/index.htm?gclid=CMyBsuzNuqkCFYob4QodEzu29Q"

GeoffJuke, it is also illegeal to use a mobile phone while driving but, they are available from here;
http://www.phonesforus.net/

</td></tr></tr></t></table>

·
Registered
912 Posts
Dougal said:
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center ="tableBorder"><T>
<T>
<TR ="msgableRow">
<TR style="MIN-HEIGHT: 200px; HEIGHT: 200px" ="msgableRow">
<TD vAlign=top ="msgLineDevider">
<DIV ="msg"> "If snow chains are illegal in the UK, then why are they available from here.

http://www.snowchains.co.uk/index.htm?gclid=CMyBsuzNuqkCFYob4QodEzu29Q"

GeoffJuke, it is also illegeal to use a mobile phone while driving but, they are available from here;
http://www.phonesforus.net/

</TD></TR></TR></T></T></TABLE>
Quite true, but Snow Chains are not illegal if used in the correct weather conditions.
You know it makes sense Rodney!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts