Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that the new F1 racing requirements for 2013 call for a bit of downsizing. The new engines will need to be 1.6 liter, 4 cylinder turbos (20% smaller than the current V-8s).

It sure seems like a weird coincidence that just about the time those new future rules are announced, the Nissan-Renault alliance produces an all new 1.6 liter, 4 cylinder, turbocharged engine design for us to enjoy.

I know what you're thinking, the MR16DDT is a bit long in the stroke for such high revs. No problem, because the new rules call for lower revs as well. Plus I think with such small engines they're gonna need the torque of a long-stroke motor. Time will tell.

Wouldn't it be cool if the same motor as in our Jukes ends up being used by the Renault F1 team? Sure hope some of those tuning secrets trickle down to street level.

Edited by: JukieMcJukerson

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
so how many current road cars have the V8 engine in then?, In fact do either Renault or its sister company make a road car with a V8 in just because the new rules call for smaller engines I wouldn't assume they are going to pull the engine from a production for it, I suspect their will be all new prupose built units, I dont recall back in the80.s when they last used 1.6 litre turbo engines too many of them in production cars

·
Registered
40 Posts
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a renault back in the late 90's having an F1 engine (tuned down obviously) in it. I'm thinking it was an exceptionally quick Espace or something like that????

·
Registered
40 Posts
From Wikipedia:(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Espace)
<h3 style="color: black; -: none; -attachment: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial; : initial; font-weight: bold; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.3em; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0.5em; padding-bottom: 0.17em; border-bottom-width: initial; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-color: initial; width: auto; font-size: 17px; font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19px; ">Espace F1</h3>In 1995, Renault displayed a show car called the Espace F1 (created by Matra) to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the Espace and Renault's involvement in Formula One racing. Though it resembled an Espace with substantial bodywork changes, the vehicle in fact had more in common with aFormula Onecar. The vehicle used a lightweightcarbon fibreF1 -style chassis in combination a carbon-fibre reinforce Espace J63-series body (as opposed tofibreglasson the standard model. Powering the Espace F1 was an 800hp (upgraded from its original rating of 700hp), 3.5-litre, 40-valve Renault RS5V10 engineas used in the 1993Williams-Renault FW15C. As with an F1 car, the V10 engine ismid-engined(as opposed to the conventionalfront-engined layout) and the power was transmitted to the rear wheels via a 6-speed semi-automatic gearbox, also used in the FW15C. The engine and transmission allowed the Espace F1 to accelerate from 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) in 2.8 seconds, 0–200 km/h (0–124 mph) in 6.9 seconds and carry on accelerating to a top speed of 312km/h (194 mph). With the use of carbon-ceramic brakes, the Espace F1's deceleration was no less impressive that its acceleration - it could accelerate from 0–270 km/h (0–168 mph)andbrake to a complete halt in under 600metres (1,969 ft). This version of the Espace was featured in the driving simulator,Gran Turismo 2.Frank Williamswas a noted passenger of the Espace F1, being chauffeured byDavid Coulthard.<sup id="cite_ref-3" ="reference" style="line-height: 1em; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; ">[4]</sup>

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
edit not what i ahd in mind though wouldn't have minded owning one I was however thinking about more mainstream cars where F1 engines were used
Edited by: deks36

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
deks36 said:
so how many current road cars have the V8 engine in then?, In fact do either Renault or its sister company make a road car with a V8 in just because the new rules call for smaller engines I wouldn't assume they are going to pull the engine from a production for it, I suspect their will be all new prupose built units, I dont recall back in the80.s when they last used 1.6 litre turbo engines too many of them in production cars
Agreed, I don't actually believe they will use it, but it's fun to joke. People have been calling our Juke "the little race car". I felt the similarity in the engine description was a curious coincidence. Besides, I'm partial to WRC anyway.... Which will also be going to 1.6 I believe....

Hey! wouldn't it be cool if a Juke made it's way into Rallying?!

(Sorry. The car just has that effect on me.)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Renault stopped Nissan competing in toureing car.so unless they have a change of heart I don't think were see it competing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Certainly in the 80s no F1 engine was used in a production car (if you ignore the odd freak car that wasnt really a production car) . An F1 engine is not designed for the kind of millage that you and I demand out of engines (well maybe not you but I want more than 1000 ish miles out of an engine before putting in a new one)

Having said that. Honda had the all conquering F1 engine back in those days and a lot of the technology they developed for their f1 engines got used in production cars and I can see that happening again.

Kinda worried about how these new F1 engines are going to sound but certainly it will be very interesting to see how a 1.6 ltr 4 cylinder turbo engine doing less than 10,000 RPM is going to produce the 650 ish HP they are saying (another 100 ish HP is to be from KERS).

Edited by: SkvanD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts