Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s a lot of debate about my mighty Juke being a bit of a Marmite car.
Its concept carlooks are an Automotive Designers wet dream, and bold design like this rarely makes it past the preliminary design stage.
Normally a concept car is released at a motor show, where everyone gets all excited about it. It is then handed across to the "design by comity" team. By the time it comes to pass, the initial concept is so watered down it’s unrecognisable.
I personally blame companies like VW and Ford for brainwashing the publics subconscious with their safe, or as they’d call it, "understated design". It’s as if these two go out of their way to make their designs as boring as humanly possible! Particularly with VW interiors. No doubt they’re well screwed together, but oh my god are they dull.
This is why I think a helluva lot of credit has to be given to Nissan for allowing the purity and integrity of the design to remain virtually unchallenged.

Hopefully this will initiate a turnaround in the way a car of this century should look.

If I could return to the "Marmite car" comment. I think that’s a good thing! At least it generates an opinion. Avant-garde car design very often take a while to grow on some people. We’re so preprogrammed to to what a car looks like, again thanks to companies like VW and Ford.
Look at the Jaguar XJS from the 70's. It polarised opinion as much as the Juke has today. This is mainly thanks to the opinions of Automotive journalist like Jeremy Clarkson. An opinion too many people pay far too much attention to.
We're basically talking about a man who thinks a DB9 is better looking than a DBS! A man who looks like he runs through his wardrobe covered in super-glue every morning!

Mark my words - In two, three years time. All the usual suspects will be clambering all over the "compact crossover" segment, like they've done with the Qashqai.

In time, the Juke's design will be understood.

Edited by: Juke of Hamilton

·
Registered
49 Posts
I couldn't agree more, but being fair, I think Ford did start to push the(ir) boundaries a little with the KA.In some respects, the copy cats are already at work, just look at Renaults wannabe. My only concern is that the Juke becomes 'the norm', it's appeal for me is not just that functionality and form have fused so well together, but that it IS so different to anything else on the road.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Nice Post!
As Kats says "This site need a LIKE button"

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hyundai, Ford and Renault have already announced Juke-rival crossovers, so the industry knows the scoreand its just a matter of time before our beloved Juke has its meteoric rise!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments.

D'you know the thing that baffles me? I actually don't think the design is that "out there"!
Fair enough, the front end is fairly unconventional, with the light arrangement and all (which defo gives it presence).But the side profile and rear, albeit all svelte and coupe-ish,aregenerally in keepingwith most SUV styled vehicles of today.

Maybe it's becausethe stylingspoke to me immediately and I didn't have to work at it. You see, I've always been a big fan of the Murrano Mk 1. I See definite similarities in the front grille design and low swooping side window line. I'm also abig fan ofthe370Z, so that was the back end taken care of with those taillights. You could call it love at first sight.

Then I saw one in white and realised it came with the same communication system as the Qashqai n-tec. Sold - where do I sign!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great post, and I like your taste in cars!

There is no question that Nissan is by far the boldest car company today. Possibly ever! Look at what they've done over the past 10 years. A decade ago they were on the verge of collapse. They hung in there and began making great strides. They began to release evermore unique, innovative and desirable vehicles. Sales increased steadily and even in the down market they were making astonishing gains.

During those ten years so many innovations were made. They were the first company to adopt break/accelerator override for safety, first to make CVT technology compatible with engines bigger than 1.2l (currently 3.6 liter, a feat that many engineers said was impossible), first to utilize automatic rev matching on manual transmissions for easier downshifting, etc. In that time they also built one of the world's best supercars and offered it at a price a common man could hope to afford one day. Even our Jukes are the first b-segment vehicles to be fitted with vectoring AWD. They are bringing dreams to life here, people! As a result of these and many other innovations Nissan was able to replace Honda as the world's #2 Japanese brand, second only to Toyota.

But it's not the extra horsepower or the quirky styling or even the fancy gadgets that impress me most. It's Nissan's sheer gall. Not just in their bold designs that would make lesser manufacturers fear for their bottom line, but also in matters of great importance. Of course, I speak of the new Nissan LEAF.

The LEAF represents a courage never before seen in a car company. At least not on the North American continent. A lot of you probably don't know this but in the 90s California made it mandatory for automakers to make a certain number of electric cars if they wanted to do business in the state in an effort to fight terrible air quality. Many manufacturers built the vehicles and offered them to the public for lease only. For a few years many city dwellers were loving them and a considerable infrastructure was built. Some of those electric car drivers were even putting up solar panels to further defray or negate the remaining running costs. As you can imagine, people got very attached to this inexpensive way of getting from place to place in the city. All the while the car manufacturers were trying to sabotage the law by forming "consumer protection" groups who lobbied heavily against the electric car charging infrastructure on the grounds it was too expensive, etc. Eventually the law requiring electric cars to be available was repealed, and the car companies gathered all the cars up as the leases ran out and crushed them. Thousands of cars. No option to buy. Nothing. Just "give us back the car you love so we can crush it into a cube".

Maybe I've gotten a bit off track here, the point is, car companies have been TERRIFIED to release an affordable electric car for decades. There are powerful forces at work here. The oil companies. Governments. Even the manufacturers own best interests seem to be undermined by the very idea. To release a product that needs less maintenance, fewer repairs, and also makes the rest of your products look dirty and expensive to run doesn't sound too appealing to auto execs, I'm sure.

Nissan doesn't know such fear. They will provide the first affordable electric car for the segment of the public that has been crying out for it for years and they will make a killing in the process! Nissan is not afraid of Governments and their lack of interest in providing the infrastructure. They know that if they sell tens of thousands of these things, public and private destinations alike will be begging to install charging stations to woo potential customers. Tax paying customers. Nissan isn't afraid electric car sales will hurt the sales of their other cars. They are wise enough to know that not everyone will want or need one.

And what of those who quaked with fear that the electric car would ruin life as we know it? What have GM and the Petroleum Industry come up with for us? Ahhhhhh, the Chevy Volt. Now that's innovation! For years people have wanted an electric car and now GM is offering it once again, only this time around, it runs on gasoline. Bravo, GM! Bravo! My only question is, why did they stop there? Why not just make the car run on steam, from an oil fired boiler, filled with children's tears!?

The fact that Nissan has the stones to release a concept car practically intact is no surprise to me! God, I love this car company! May my next Nissan make the Juke look bland by comparison!

Edited by: JukieMcJukerson

·
Registered
189 Posts
well said jukie jukster oh it's getting better as the number of jukes are been brought out of the factory, still the enthusasium to even see a juke is brilliant and for the jukester's driving them fantastic ( me next week do dah ) just keep on juking
</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts