Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Terrible problems in snow yesterday. Nobody else was having anything like my problems. As my OH was digging me out round the hilly upwards corner I realised I was in Sport. Is that why I had trouble? And if so why does this happen? I went into Normal but I was basically home then anyway.

Which is best for snow? Eco, Sport or Normal?

Thanks, peeps.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Personally I like to keep it in eco in the bad bits, as it limits the power to the wheels a bit more. It depends on the troubles you were having though. I wheelspin on the snow in Sport, haven't yet done it in Eco.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Definitely Eco for the snow so there isn't too much power going too down too quickly

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is a bit of logic to using eco in the snow, as you don't need the power, however there is no reason to expect "terrible problems" especially with new/nearly new tyres. One thing to be wary of is the ESP, this will apply the brakes to a spinning wheel thus causing the car to stall. I find that usually turning the ESP off especially when setting off on an incline helps, you can then switch it back on once you are mobile. Another option is to release the clutch slowly but do not touch the accelerator, let the car go at tickover then apply the accelerator once you have got going, this will not work on steep inclines as the car will stall, however you will get a feel for the cars capabilities.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yorkie said:
There is a bit of logic to using eco in the snow, as you don't need the power, however there is no reason to expect "terrible problems" especially with new/nearly new tyres. One thing to be wary of is the ESP, this will apply the brakes to a spinning wheel thus causing the car to stall. I find that usually turning the ESP off especially when setting off on an incline helps, you can then switch it back on once you are mobile. Another option is to release the clutch slowly but do not touch the accelerator, let the car go at tickover then apply the accelerator once you have got going, this will not work on steep inclines as the car will stall, however you will get a feel for the cars capabilities.
Can anyone translate this to automatic driving please.

·
Registered
309 Posts
defo yorkie your right...turn the ESP off and do not have it in sport mode...wheels will spin way too fast!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been able to undergo some extensive snow driving testing today. Eco and AWD-V seems to work the best in the 8 inches we have here. I tried switching to manual, but the car didn't want to shift up when I wanted to (too slow). Haven't tried it with ESP off yet, so will have a go tomorrow, unless the fresh snowfall we are having blocks me in again. I will report back!

·
Registered
33 Posts
In the 4wd cars, just put it in 4wd, turn sport on, turn the ESP off (which actually doesnt seem to be fully off) and have some sideways fun :D When the roads are empty of course and your not going to endanger anyone.

In 2wd cars, as has been said, put it in normal or eco, turn the ESP off, and try to set off without using the accelerator. Just be gentle and try to use the clutch to get moving.

In an auto, just put it in eco and be gentle with the throttle, theres not a lot else you can do.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I hadn't heard about turning ESP off before. Mine is still on and not had many problems...what is the logic behind it? Does it make it less safe?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, everyone. I hate driving in snow anyway.

But eco and no ESP will be tried if I dare venture out again.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
let me know if eco mode makes any difference, as I was of the understanding that the only difference between the modes on the dynamic system for the diesel was to the steering response

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
deks36 said:
let me know if eco mode makes any difference, as I was of the understanding that the only difference between the modes on the dynamic system for the diesel was to the steering response
Maybe they never thought the diesel could get the wheels to spin............

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
it spins alright no problem their I can spin it with esp on
my point was people telling you to drive in eco as it cuts the response
but apparently no on diesel which would be about right as diesel works in a different manner to petrol
also as i have stated before my diesel has more power and torque than that measly 1.6 n/a engine
mind you my golf trolley is more power than the basic auto engine

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you have a heavy foot or no experience in driving in snow you will spin the wheels on any vehicle regardles of tyres, fuel type, gearbox type, engine power, traction control, ABS, ESP etc.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I wasn't talking about in the snow, my Juke hasn't come off the drive using my old banger if accidents going to happen would rather it be in that also I have many years driving experience in all conditions
in relation to wheel spinning i was refer to deliberate act rather than loss of control

·
Registered
754 Posts
I thought ESP was designed to give you safer driving etc particularly in difficult driving conditions. So is it safe to turn it off?

·
Registered
754 Posts

Thanks to you guys I managed to get the car out of the drive today.
Started spinning as I crossed the pavement. Turned EPS off and the car gripped and got to the road. Turned EPS back on and continued on my way - in ECO.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts