Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm a Nissan Qashqai owner and a member on the qashqai forum - sure you know the one I mean.

Anyway...to those of you here, I would just like to share my review of the Juke from the perspective of a Qashqai owner.I have one for 24 hrs whilst my new QQ is in the garage to have the parts it was supposed to come with, actually fitted this time...

You can find the whole thread here: http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=6891&title=hamishs

And here it is inlong form...don't worry, it's favourable to you guys on the dark side

Nice meeting you

I have to admit the Juke is one of those cars that has grown on me over time.

It's like wearing a new pair of shoes - a nip here, a pinch there...but in a couple of months mold to your feet and become slippers...however, like all slippers they wear out and your big toe protrudes at the sole...so how this will fare over time? being such a drastic design they usually age badly...but somehow, I think this may become a pair of hush-puppies.

Size wise - well when I got to EH this morning and pulled into the car park - I parked right next to this - seeing the number plate was Manchester I reckoned this must be mine. Height - it is possibly a couple of inches at mx not as tall as the QQ...it is just as wide and it is nearly as long. It is deceiving because it seems smaller on the outside, but parked right next to the QQ...very little in it...

Boot - opened the boot to put my case in..uh!! - small with a high floor, but this floor can be taken out leaving a big area underneath...but it is shallow. I know why it is shallow and that is when you get in the car - it is almost tardis like. There is nearly as much room inside as a QQ - a little less leg room in the rear seats...but acceptable.

However, the front seats are extremely comfortable...a little softer than my leather seats but immediately comfortable. There is less thigh support, but only marginally less. Now, this is where it is almost QQ like. I looked across at my QQ and I was sitting almost the same height as in the QQ...so it has a good driving position.

Steering wheel - I know I have got possibly OCD when it comes to steering wheels. I have to say I do not like the thin rim of the QQ - thin rims are for yesteryear - for classic cars, not for chunky modern cars. The steering wheel in the Juke is, I have to say, awesome. Immediately comfortable with the right thickness...this touch sensation tells your mind that this is a chunky car - this is where the QQ falls down. I don't like the central boss...much prefer the QQ central boss design.

Fire her up! Petrol - 1.6. Hmmm, nice tone to it and quite free revving. Strange thing is that it went immediately to 1800 rpm on idle...within about 5 seconds dropped and within 10 seconds was at 800 rpm...but this was a cold morning start.

Now...WTF are all these buttons?!! It has the Nissan gizmolodgy here...an onboard poor man's GTR computer....no matter, I'll work that out whilst driving. Reversed out..view through rear window is bigger than QQ.

Interior materials- very plasticky - hard plastics; that nasty scratchy plastic...but very solid build quality - you would expect it, feeling it, to creak and rattle, but it doesn't it just looks like it should..so pleased it didn't.

On the road...oh dear, dissapointed here...steering far too light, no feel whatsoever, lurching somewhat into the first island...lack of power coming out...I don't like this at all.

On the motorway I had time to now press all these bloody buttons. I see a sport button...ok, let's press that.................................FCUK ME! It's like Kirk asking Sulu to take us to warp speed - or Picard asking the other bloke to 'make it so'. WTF just happened here? I'm smiling from ear to ear now...this is great...

So I now press some of the other buttons and it doesn't take long to figure out what is what. There is Normal, Sport and Eco. I realised when I first pulled out of EH car park it was in Eco mode... - slow throttle response, soft suspension and very light steering. Normal mode is a mix between Eco and Sport - this is where I think the QQ 1.6 petrol sits in this mode...it's OK-ish, but just needs a bit more of everything.

Now sport mode...is fantastic. Steering stiffens up with great feel, suspension stiffens up and throttle response is like warp effect. The QQ could really do with this...I mean really for the petrol models. Doesn't need it on the diesel models as we have a great turbo....

The gizmo has more functions and I find the Torque curve screen - ooooooh, like this. Then I find the G-Meter...cool let's fling this about a bit. It also has a running Economy bar GRAPH - yes, this car has an inbuilt bar chart GRAPH...how fcuking cool is that....

So, I pulls into a petorl station puts £20 worth in...then head off for a good drive. It's on empty now lol.

All in all....I am very impressed...I mean really, very impressed with this car. Great ride.

Would I swap it for my QQ? No. The QQ is much better in so many respects...but the Juke is a real drivers' car...involving in sport...and refined in Eco.

I like this car a lot...but not as much as my QQ.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thank's for taking the trouble to give us your account of the Juke. It was quite an interesting read. Although you think it is a good car, I was expecting you to favour it or at least state that it was equally on par with it's bigger brother. But I suppose really, they are two completely different models and one can outweigh the other in different aspects.
Personally, I think the Juke looks more sportier than the QQ which in a way I suppose it was really meant to be. But I think it will become another Nissan success has as the QQ already. I's not even twelve months old yet, but seems to be attracting quite a lot of attention in the UK, if not world wide.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Hamish,

You may remember me from the QQ forum (I had a 2L petrol Acenta) and I have recently (as in last weekend) gone to the dark side
. I now have a 1.6 turbo DIG-T and recognised a lot of what you said although I'venot actually tried driving in Eco mode yet. Not sure I ever will, to be honest.

It's taken me these 6 days to evenstart learning that the Juke needs to be driven differently from the QQ - it's just so revvy and wants to go, go go!

It's not as big as the QQ and only time will tell whether I find the lack of boot space and rear passenger space an issue. I also found the cloth seats in the QQ a lot more comfy than the Juke but that, and the rear parking sensors beeping (I haven't got used to the camera yet) are the only things I miss at the moment.

I'll be very interested to see what the new QQ turns out like and whether they put the 1.6 turbo engine in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey CT...good to see you again my friend. Welcome back...oh, wrong forum

So you finally did move to the dark side....good man.

Yes, it is a totally different dynamic driving the QQ and the Juke...each excellent in their own right. I ahve had a fantastic day playing in the Juke...truly great.

Sadly playtime bell has called and I have just been to pick my QQ up.

You guys have picked a great car...and now that Mrs Hamish has seen and driven it, unlike shoes and handbags she has made an immediate decision that she wants one.

So you might have another new member here soon...I feel sorry for you though if it's my wife

Take care all and hope you all enjoy your Jukes as much as I have in an extended test drive.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Hamish. A great comparison between the 2 models. Many of us went to the dealers intending to buy a QQ but ended up coming away having ordered a Juke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks...if I didn't need 4wd, having test driven this...I would probably have one now.

I didn't know what to expect, but I am both impressed and surprised at the same time..I like 'different' and this definately is.

I now have a nagging wife. Well, more nagging than usual

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, didn't know that was available. Then again...when I ordered my QQ last November, this wasn't on my shopping list.

It's the towing capacity I needed for towing a horsebox...with horse. The QQ 2.0dci suited this perfectly...

But it is on the Mrs shopping list now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mrs is now set on getting one...so guess what we doing this weekend

To put some meat on this...here is the Juke I played with

Here's my QQ

...and here is my other love...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hamish said:
Mrs is now set on getting one...so guess what we doing this weekend

To put some meat on this...here is the Juke I played with

The Juke you played with. Was this the Visita or the Accenta, because it looks like it has the 16" Elegance alloys instead of the 17" Sport alloys which are normally standard on the Accenta Sport or Premium models?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Brilliant - i love the way you have put it over Hamish
On the motorway I had time to now press all these bloody buttons. I see a sport button...ok, let's press that.................................FCUK ME! It's like Kirk asking Sulu to take us to warp speed - or Picard asking the other bloke to 'make it so'. WTF just happened here? I'm smiling from ear to ear now...this is great...</font>
</font>PMSL
I know the feeling - you need your arms to be like bees wings running through the gears , i forgot how times i have gone for a 6thgearnow !</font>
</font>Nice write up !</font></font>
Edited by: snout

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Hamish,Just been over to your forum and paid a visit on the link you posted.You lot have been pretty dam fair to be honest.It is a car that you just cannot stop staring at - hit the nail on the head !
Thanks for stopping by ! BUT DID YOU SEE THE JUKE EXTREME !!! That was one piece of kit let me tell you !

Edited by: snout

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Snout

Now that X-treme...that is what we are talking about....that I like.

Now, as I see it, that is a contender if ever there was onefor a bit of tinkering and flattery with the sport button. A little bit of programming and a dictionaryshould see the word Sport in D-Mode on the button replaced with:

Make It So.
or
Nitro

Or indeed for the brash: F... Me!

The novelty would never wear off... hit the F... Me! button.

To even it out, Eco could be changed to Lard Ass!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts