Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the motoway this morning and what sounded like a brick hit the car. Frightened the living daylights out of me.

anyway, it was obviously just a stone but it has damaged the paintwork on the bonnet - see pic.
How can I sort this out?
Although it did then make me drive the rest of the way at 60 on the inside lane!!

Thank you

Edited by: Kats

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
kat cant really make it out to well myself but first try some G3 to see if it removes the mark if not if its taken the paint off it will be a touch up job with a paint stick/pen
unfortunately due to you have a car with colour on it you will not be able to use Tip-ex

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Ouch, Kats, glad it didn't reach the windshield

If anyone comes up with a clear "bonnet bra", I think that might be an option for me. There are black ones, but IMHO they don't improve the look.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, it is the paint that is chipped, feels like it has gone right through. And it did get the windscreen, but just marked it, did the most damage to the bonnet.
xEdited by: Kats

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Nasty plus really annoying. Had a large stone from the back of a lorry hit my windscreen, the funny thing was I ducked to avoid it
Here is a post on a detailing thread for addressing stone chips, hope it helps
"I was offered an Amethyst (same colour as my car) bonnet for my SAAB 9000. As those who know him will testify, for the previous owner keeping cars clean and shiney is not particualrly high on his list of priorities - it had never been cleaned let alone polished in his two year ownership, so it would be interesting to see how well the bonnet came up with a bit of detailing

As you can see from the test section it did come up rather well.

So well in fact it showed up the multitude of stone chips.

So I thought I would explain how I plan on making these less noticeable. I am sure it is not the way the professional would approach it but I have used this technique before with some success.

Items required: A can or two of lighter fuel, small tub of matching or similar colour paint (Humbrol enamel paints are ideal - I used black), polishing pad (ideally lint free), protective gloves.

1. Wipe surface over with a cleaner - I use lighter fuel.
2. Squirt lighter fuel on to pad and add some paint.
3. Apply paint on to surface ensuring it is well rubbed in to the chips.
4. Leave for half an hour and repeat the procedure at least three times till the chips appear 'full'.
5. For large stone chips get a toothpick and dip in the paint and apply to hole.
6. Leave for a few days for the paint to dry.
6. Using 3000 grit wet and dry rub over the entire surface, taking particualr care with the larger toothpick filled stone chips.
7. Machine polish and finish with a wax.

This will get rid of 80-90 percent of pinholes.
I have given the bonnet a couple of coats.

Original photo for comparison

I know it may look a bit frightening but a steady nerve and taking time will reap rewards. As explained it will reduce thee appearance of chips rather than remove them completely. Anyway another coat or two and then I will leave it for a while for the paint to harden.

Here is the bonnet after a test section using Farcela Scratch paste on a rotary. You may find there are afewpin holes that may have been missed, so use a toothpick and paint to fill them.

It will then have some Menzerna Final Finish - test section shown here:

....and will be followed with a a cleaner and wax.

Almost complete.

Bonnet has not been waxed at this stage."
Edited by: Rocks703

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rocks, you are a star. I think I deserve a large drink tonight to make me feel a little bit better

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Kats said:
Thanks Rocks, you are a star. I think I deserve a large drink tonight to make me feel a little bit better
I don't recommend something "on the Rocks"

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One good thing about my new enforced driving stylie (aka miss daisy), my mpg on the return home is up to 36.7.
How long this will last???.
X

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gabby said:
i think wax helps to prevent such things happen
Not sure how a coat of wax would have helped in this situation? Unless you gaffa tape all your empty plastic wax bottles to your bonnet...
When it comes to large stones hitting the bonnet, theres not much you can do when your traveling at speed ...apart from hope it doesn't come through the windscreen..

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Kats,,,, a big hug ,
I know how you feel, I have just done exactly the same today to the lower part of my bonnet and also have a chipped windscreen...

Rocks, I see your pics but must confess to being too scared to do any of this just in case I damage the metallic paintwork... it looks easy but far too overwhelming to do this myself.

If you were to go to a place to get it done - how much would it cost to get it done properly - any ideas??

Cheers
Fee x

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Fee, got a paint stick on order at the dealer. When it comes in will have another look at it. I just close my eyes when I walk past it at the mo

Lxx

1 - 20 of 25 Posts