Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really confused - I pick up my Juke on weds but I have a personalised number plate. I have always just paid the £80 to transfer the number plate and the garage has done it for me previously however Nissan has advised i pay a retention fee because when I part ex my car the number plate goes with it so if someone buys the car on thurs for example then they get it with my personalised plate because it is registered with that. pparently the retention is to make sure that the personalised plate is taken off my mini and it goes back to its original number plate.

I don't know what to do. I can get to my local DVLA office on friday at the earliest due to work commitments and do the transfer myself but risk the car being sold (i know it is unlikely to go in 2 days) and lose my plate or post the form for the retention to get my plate taken off the mini which will take a while getting to the DVLA in the post anyway.

I hope that makes sense, it is making the excitement of getting the car a little stressful!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Sounds to me like the garage cant be arsed to help you, mind you surely this should have been sorted a few weeks ago, also I am sure when I last put my plates on retention I had to send them the documents and wait for it to go thru I am sure they no longer do a wait service though I could be wrong
and yes if the dealer sells your current car with the plate still on it then the owner gets that plate
if it means that much to you and the dealer isnt helping I would put off collection until transfer is done
putting plate on retention will also cost you an extra £25

·
Registered
233 Posts
I put my plate on retention.I was told it would take an extra few weeks to collect car. The other option was to pay a refundable fee for the log book. The old car would have the log book sent to yourself when the transfer is done, not sent to the garage thus why they wanted a "bond".On presentation of the log book the fee would be returned.

One thing to watch out, if you have finance on the vehicle it will cost you a fee to transfer the finance over to another registration plate. It also costs and extra £25 ishto put onretention.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't thought of that about the finance. I may ring the garage tomorrow and see if they would be prepared to hold off selling the car until friday pm. They will have to clean and valet it anyway before they can sell it on. I will see what they say tomorrow but I am seriously stressing, the number plate was my 21st present and I don't want to lose it!

·
Registered
233 Posts
The finance company chargesare around£50 for the transfer of plate. Its to cover the admin costs, and there christmas do!
It may well be easier and a lot cheaper to get the garage to do it for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi BlondieI am going through this at the moment but the dealer has been really helpful .......I was told it was a standard 10 days for a plate transferonce the new car was at the dealers.As I did not want to wait before I picked the new car up they suggested that they register the new juke with an 11 plate and then apply for the personal plate to be transfered to my new car and the old (original) registration would revert back to the car I had traded in.When the documents come back all I have to do is take my Juke to the dealer and he will put the personal registration plates on.It just means that my new car will have an 11 registration for about 10 days.Hope this makes sense....Good Luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi David, yes that makes sense and is pretty much what the dealer said to me and I will collect it as an 11 plate reg, I am just worried that in the time it will take to do the transfer or the retention that the car could be sold and my number plate goes with it.

I will ring the DVLA helpline this morning and I will also speak to the Nissan garage again. If I explain that I will be going on friday to the local DVLA office to do the transfer they may be nice and hold off putting it on sale? I know it is unlikely that the car will go in 2 days but I feel like it is a risk either way - wait 2 days after collecting the car to do the transfer or risk the mini being sold while my retention is processing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The private plate on the Mini is yours. The dealer can sell the car, but not with the plate. There is no reason why the dealer can't register the new car straight on to your plate as all new cars are registered at the dealer not at DVLA. If you are still nervous about the Mini being sold, take the number plates off when you go to the dealership.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts