Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the opportunity to create a hard stand area at the back of my house for my Juke. It would be 6m x 6m accessed by a lane about 2m wide. I need to be able to turn the Juke round so that I can enter and exit in forward gear. Currently I just park on the side of the road and never really have to do much manoeuvring so I haven't got a feel for how much space it needs. Anyone got a view on how easy/difficult it would be to turn the Juke round in that amount of space?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Turning circle, kerb to kerb, would appear to be 10.7 metres.

Might be worth chalking out a 6 x 6m square in an open space, and having a dry run?

That might help to know how many forwards and backwards movements to get through 180°.

I'm a bit concerned about the 2 metre lane, as the Juke is 1.78 metres wide, probably not including the mirrors, that's just about 10 cm (four inches) less wide each side than the lane itself.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's actually a proposed gate entrance that will be 2m wide, the lane itself is about 4m. I may have the option of not erecting the gates which would give me better access as it would mean I could enter the hard stand at an angle to aide the turning process. I think I need to find a corner of a car park and take some chalk to mark out a 6m share.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in a semi and there's another set of semis alongside. I have to travel down the lane in the middle, turn a very sharp corner round the back of next door's house, cross over his hard stand (I have a legal right of way), ending up on my hard stand. There are low level, protruding steps and some deliberately awkwardly placed plant pots which add to the obstacle course, plus the addition of a sneering neighbour and a dodgy sightline onto the main road which means it's unsafe to reverse out. So, over the past 13 years I've found it too stressful to think it worth putting myself, or my car, through it. I'm sure plenty of people would find it easy enough (although the previous owner of my house also gave up trying) and I wait for the usual women driver jokes but basically the hard stand is redundant if I can't find a way of making it easier to access. I've got one eye on wanting to get my Juke off the road and another on the re-sale value of my house if I have to sell up as a result of the pay cut I've got to take from my job with the County Council.

I thought there might be standard minimum recommended areas for this sort of thing. I know the local council has guidance because of regulations about having to leave/enter the highway in forward gear, but their advice is based on turning the car in one movement which isn't going to be possible for me. The turn on the Juke is much better than my previous Fiesta which is what's encouraging me to think extending the hard stand to 6m might make things possible. I could go further into the garden but it becomes a bigger job because of an incline.

I think I'll take a tape measure up to my local community centre at the weekend and do some experiments in their car park.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Get some private lessons for the Handbrake Turn from a stunt driver. That way the next time your sneering neighbour is looking you could whizz up the lane, chuck it into a handbrake turn and end up facing back the way you came.............. then casually jump out and swagger into the house.
That would really freak the neighbour..........
Let me know if you do it as I want to be there with a camera.

12inch
Edited by: 12Inchmick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts