Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

Greetings from New "Yawk" City

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  juke10 
#1 ·
Thanks for having me over.My name is Doug, I'm a nearly-retired freelance writer andlive in the middle of Manhtattan. I've always been a Motorhead (on a budget) but New York is not a particularly vehicle friendly town. On the other hand, when you live here you need to escape regularly to retain your sanity.In addition to a spanking new Juke SV (the middle model), I also have a Yamaha FJR1300 motorcycle. One semi-interesting aspect of living here is that my wife and I pay more to gargage the bike and the car than we pay to rent our squalid little one bedroom flat. We bought theJuke two weeks ago about 10 minutes after we saw itand it seems positively brilliant. We love the turbo engine, the CVT and the switchable AWD/FWD. The car has the grip, acceleration, cornering, braking andspeed of much pricier vehicles. And despite the critics, we LOVE the way it looks.The only thing that we find slightly annoying (aside from anowner's manual that devotes41 pages toseat belt adjustment but doesn'ttell you how to aim the headlights) is that here in the coloniesJukes come sans the white driving lights located on thefender tops that seemto be standard in Blighty and therest of the world.But it's one **** of a car!

Cheers,

Doug

#2 ·
Hi Doug, welcome to the forum and thanks for a great post!
Good to see you guys over the pond are getting your Jukes - most of us over here are still waiting, but reassuring to see you love it so much. I'm guessing the US has gone off its big cars, or is that just because you live in a city? My romantic view of the states is that everyone owns muscle cars, trucks or massive 4x4s, or maybe I just listen to too much Springsteen

#4 ·
Thanks: Jukes are starting to trickle into the US but most dealers are only receiving one or two at a time which are quickly sold. But in driving our Juke perhaps 400-500 miles during the last few weeks, we havenever seen anotheron the highway. And it's a pity because we've been carefullyrehearsing our smile and wave to use when wepassone but haven't yet been able todo so.With nearly 300 posts Chris must personally represent a large percentage of all the posts. Well done!As usual, schizophrenia seems to prevail in the US as they (we)veer from one extreme to the other. When petrol was temporarily pricey and in short supply, SUVs and pick-up trucks seemed to disappear almost overnight. Now that fuel prices have moderated,big vehiclesappeartobe back in favor although the new models are allegedly more fuel efficient. Of course in a nation where so many people are...."generously-sized",large vehiclesmay not be surprising. One Juke reviewer wondered whether the Juke seats were wide enough to accommodate the "relaxed" sizes of most Americans.
Cheers,

Doug

#6 ·
Doug said:
With nearly 300 posts Chris must personally represent a large percentage of all the posts. Well done!
Cheers,

Doug
I'm miles behind some of the others - have you seen deks, iamdabe & feefeeglasgow?
Its because we've all had our cars on order for ever and need something to pass the time

#9 ·
US Jukeshave the iconicprotuberance on the fendersbut they only contain the parking lights and turn indicators. But thedriving lightsare optional extra (except in the SL) and mount in the grill. AndI don't know if ALL US model Jukes have moon roofs although the SV does. And I humbly apologize for my "newbie" ignorancein not recognizing the significant contributions to thisforum by other "unsung heroes" including deks, adobe & Glasgow. Mea culpa!!!!

#13 ·
I think this was on another thread, silverjuke - Apparantly the moonroof is a tiddly wee tilt and slide roof which resembles the old fashioned ones we had years ago... it is small and is above the drivers/passengers seat only

i presume a sunroof is what we all hope we would get - like a panoramic roof of some description...

Certainly wouldn't a moonroof - not worth it.. There was a picture somewhere here although i cant find it

fee x

#15 ·
<TABLE =tableBorder style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center>
<T>
<TR =msgableTop>
<TD vAlign=top>Posted: Today at 5:23pm By deks36 </TD></TR>
<TR =msgableRow style="MIN-HEIGHT: 150px; HEIGHT: 150px">
<TD =msgLineDevider vAlign=top>
<DIV =msg>what i want to know is did you get a good discount as my parents live in florida and reckon Nissan isnt that good a brand stateside yet and thus offers huge discounts? </TD></TR></T></TABLE>
Jukes are still quite scarce here and I don't see any discounts being offered.In fact some dealers seem to be charging a premium merely for selling you one.In the New York City metropolitan area there areseveral dozen Nissan dealers within 25 miles of Manhattan. ButI called at least adozen before I found one who actually had an unsold Jukein the showroom. And I've previously owned several Nissansincluding a 300ZXand found them to be fine, reliable cars. After Honda and Toyota,Nissan isJapan's third largest auto manufacturers.

#16 ·
<TABLE =tableBorder style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center>
<T>
<TR =tableLedger>
<TD></TD></TR>
<TR =msgableTop>
<TD vAlign=top>Posted: Today at 5:44pm By silverjuke </TD></TR>
<DIV =msg>What's the difference between a moonroof and a sunroof? </TD></TR></T></TABLE>Between 6:00 A.M.and 6:00 P.M. it's a sunroof. Between 6:00 P.M. and 6:00 A.M. it's a moonroof.

#17 ·
<T>
<TR =msgableTop>
<TD vAlign=top>Posted: Today at 11:35am By juke10 </TD></TR>
<DIV =msg>Hi Welcome Doug

May see you around in Juke as my family live over in NY good luck</TD></TR></T></TABLE>Thanks very much Juke. Are you also located in the US?

#20 ·
Doug said:
<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center ="tableBorder"><T>
<T>
<TR ="msgableTop">
<TD vAlign=top>Posted: Today at 11:35am By juke10 </TD></TR>
<TR style="MIN-HEIGHT: 150px; HEIGHT: 150px" ="msgableRow">
<TD vAlign=top ="msgLineDevider">
<DIV ="msg">Hi Welcome Doug

May see you around in Juke as my family live over in NY good luck</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>Thanks very much Juke. Are you also located in the US?
Doug I am in UK at present all my family are in USA however I will be joining them in a few years to retire as I willhave residency soon but I enjoy my work in UK thats all that keeps me here at present but I visit USA alot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.