·
Registered
659 Posts
Hm, should have had a QQ.

Nah, only joking.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
last tank average on my dci according to on board computer was a staggering 28.7mpg
think maybe I should have got a DIG-T

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There should be stricter guidelines on stating MPG of all vehicles. I've never known anyones vehicle(s) to come close to the MPG stated.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had started to write a post about the benefits of changing your driving style just a little and stupidly linked to another page and now have to start again. I'll make it briefer this time.
For those interested in saving a little on fuel, servicing of the car; e.g.; tyre, brakes and shock absorber costs...Try these well proven tips;1. Try driving more slowly away from openings and getting to your intended speed.2. Make your intended speed say 10% to 20% less than usual.3. Brake more gently (apparently it saves fuel).4. Try driving at a desired rev limit of maybe 2000 instead of watching the speedometer (watch you speed for the limits though).
To put this into perspective using my own experience I have went from 48 mpg to 53 mpg. I have not had to replace any brake pads or discs yet and I have covered 40,000 and I expect to get to 45,000 with a bit of luck. I believe if I had not changed tyres for winter ones last year I would be very near handing over my three year old car with the original tyres because at 18 months our car had used only 3 mm of tread sotheoreticallyshould get to 36 months without needing to change.
Although, this all sounds boring and I regularly travel at a lessleisurelypace, I get great satisfaction catching up with the traffic queue in the mornings to see those that have been travelling at 70 mph and more sitting there just a wee bit ahead. I often wander if they stop to think about how much money they are throwing away with their driving style.
I travel 12 miles to the edge of town and for those travelling at 70 mph they cover that distance in 10 minutes, theoretically.I travel regularly between 55 to 60 over the same distance and get there just 2 minutes later.If it was 120 miles at 70 mph it would take 1 hour 43 minuets.If it was 120 miles at 60 mph it would take 2 hours - just 17 minutes later for a more relaxed and cheaper journey. All the time remembering that 70 mph as an average means you will at some point have to travel a little over 70 mph for quite some time or considerably more than 70 mph for some less time.
That's me - just trying to put things into perspective for those that want to know.
I hope this has made for interesting reading - I have not meant to preach (hypocrisymight creep in).Happy reading -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts