Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else find the gears very crunchy, not as smooth as a new car should be... and gear boxes do not need run in regardless of what Nissan say!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just replied on the other post - I'm finding them quite stiff too. I'm assuming they'll loosen up once it's been run in, my Fiesta was similar last year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just feels like there is no gear box lubricant or something, my other half has been test driving other cars liuke citroen ds3 and even the suzuki swift and the gears are sooo smooth, there really shouldn't be any need to "run in" like there is for the engine. I feel terrible complaining as she is so cute, its like saying my baby is squinty or something!!!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
took one yesterday 5 speed box gearstick felt very stiff and a little notchy mentioned this to the dealer and the thoughts of a few onhere and he reckons it will be fine when it loosens up
hope the 6 speed is better as thats what i have ordered

·
Registered
754 Posts
Tessa said:
It just feels like there is no gear box lubricant or something, my other half has been test driving other cars liuke citroen ds3 and even the suzuki swift and the gears are sooo smooth, there really shouldn't be any need to "run in" like there is for the engine. I feel terrible complaining as she is so cute, its like saying my baby is squinty or something!!!
If your baby was squinty you would get it sorted, you wouldn't leave them with a squint for the rest of their life.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm keen to hear more about the 'notchy' gear issue. I've yet to test-drive one
but I get the impression that most Jukes suffer with this? Or am I reading too much?!! A smooth gearchange is a must in my book... I hope this isn't going to be a deal-breaker? I'd be interested to hear a bit more from anyone.

Cheers!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Its different to my QQ diesel, i feel the gear shift ins't notchy as such, but rather has more resistance than most other cars i've driven but does have a posistive feel. You have to be very precise with your changes & i reckon we'll all get it used to it soon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
martinhold said:
My gear change upbetween first & second is notchy, changing to other gears ok, and changing down seems smoth enough

That's the same with me - it's first and second that seem quite stiff, the others are fine. I've never had this before with a Nissan - I've always found the gearboxes really smooth - but I did experience it with my Fiesta and it loosened up after a while so I'm hoping the Juke will do the same.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I test drove it the test car had a gearchange that I didnt like, I kept missing gears. When I went to pick it up, if im honest, it was something I was worried about but just figured it was somthing you needed to get used to.

But when I started driving mine the gearbox was completly different. To me it seems very smooth but "clunky" which is somthing I like. Maybe it's what you are used to.

But I must agree with ginnymthat first to second does seem a little more stiff than the rest.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
When I test drove the 1.6 - i thought the gears were fine - no problems at all.

I have had 9 Nissans and have never found them a problem, only hope there isn't going to be a fundamental flaw with this one............

·
Registered
575 Posts
Had a play with both the 5 & 6 speeds. The 5 speed wasn't great. It was a bit notchy and not smooth, the 6 speed was miles better, a really nice precise gear change

·
Registered
345 Posts
The gearbox is a typical late Nissan gearbox.

I used to have the older models were it was smooth.
But the latest models like my previous car the Primera P12 it feel hard.

Diffrence is problably how the build it and the system they use.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think they use cables now and it use the be bars

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi My Juke was notchy however one week on a bit better not as smooth as Mini Clubman I have PX they were silky smooth

·
Registered
199 Posts
We sure its not people just getting used to a change of car?
Test drove 1.6 5 speed, yeah felt notchy but i'm sure after a month it'll be second nature....

·
Registered
443 Posts
nissanjukebox said:
The gearbox is a typical late Nissan gearbox.

I used to have the older models were it was smooth.
But the latest models like my previous car the Primera P12 it feel hard.

Diffrence is problably how the build it and the system they use.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think they use cables now and it use the be bars
You are right older Nissan models were a rod,now all are cables

·
Registered
873 Posts
They were really stiff when I first got the car but they have loosened up a lot since then, and now they are fine, I don't really notice them. Not the smoothest gears I've had, but no complaints really.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts