Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does this model have a common gear box issue?
I have owned an 17 plate 1.5dci for little over a year now, over the last few days it have developed a whine from the fornt end. This is only when the wheels are in motion and doesn't change with revs? It was getting louder the faster it was driven.
Now a few folk said it's probably a wheel bearing. I've dropped it in at my local (reliable) mechanic and he's called this afternoon with bad news, he thinks it's gear box related and suggested I prepare for replacing the gear box? The best way to describe the sound (from the cabin) is like a washing machine at full spin when doing 70mph down the motorway, or a supercharger at full spool whining. The vehicle has only covered 48k. He said when he got the car up on the ramps and started turning the wheels the whine/binding sound is coming from the box? When taking a gearbox oil sample then he was surprised that the oil was golden as he expected it to be cloudy and grey due to the noise coming from the box.
Sorry for the long thread, I've tried to be as descriptive as I can about the whine.

Anyone have any input or experience in this happening?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is probably not the case with you, but I had a whine develop a few weeks ago. It sounded like it was coming from the front end or even the radio. It got louder, more noticeable with higher speeds and I couldn't find where it was coming from. Eventually I found that the passenger window was very fractionally open and it was wind roar- I must have knocked the switch slightly. Worth checking before getting a new gearbox.
2020 Teckna DCT

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does this model have a common gear box issue?
I have owned an 17 plate 1.5dci for little over a year now, over the last few days it have developed a whine from the fornt end. This is only when the wheels are in motion and doesn't change with revs? It was getting louder the faster it was driven.
Now a few folk said it's probably a wheel bearing. I've dropped it in at my local (reliable) mechanic and he's called this afternoon with bad news, he thinks it's gear box related and suggested I prepare for replacing the gear box? The best way to describe the sound (from the cabin) is like a washing machine at full spin when doing 70mph down the motorway, or a supercharger at full spool whining. The vehicle has only covered 48k. He said when he got the car up on the ramps and started turning the wheels the whine/binding sound is coming from the box? When taking a gearbox oil sample then he was surprised that the oil was golden as he expected it to be cloudy and grey due to the noise coming from the box.
Sorry for the long thread, I've tried to be as descriptive as I can about the whine.

Anyone have any input or experience in this happening?

Thanks in advance
Seeing as you bought it 2nd or maybe 3rd hand you won't know if the car was abused during previous ownership. If it were a wheel bearing they usually don't whine but hum. As most bearings that are loaded do. It is possible that it is something else. There's no way anyone on here is going to be able to near diagnose stuff like that without working on the car and trying to find it that way.. Guessing here is futile.
My recommendation would be to put the car on a ramp and drive it stationary (at your own risk) then use a mechanics stethoscope to accurately assess the noise.. You'll never find it properly elsewise

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my 1.5dci, noise appeared around 37k miles
i think its the bearing that sits on the inside of the diff casing on the near side drive shaft.
i have ran it whilst raised and the casing is hotter that side aswell,i think the bearing is spinning in its seat .....

Did you ever get this sorted and find the cause....?

·
Registered
1 Posts
if its any consolation my 2021 juke with 2000 miles has a gearbox whine, ive been in touch with Nissan and had it inspected by the garage who state that the noise compares to other jukes and its therefore a characteristic of the vehicle, great £22000 of brand new car with a gearbox which sounds like a rally car, does anyone else new juke suffer the same

1 - 5 of 5 Posts