Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I know there are lots of posts about Gap insurance & ive searched & read loads on this forum. But, what I was wondering about was who to chose? Its a minefield & I dont recognise any of the companies out there to know if theyre trustable ones. So, can anyone recommend a good company to use for me?Many thanksSal

·
Registered
263 Posts
First of all check your car insurance policy (the full policy wording, about 19 pages long). You will probably only have online access but you may have a printed version already. It is very likelythat for the first year you have a "new for old" replacement clause. I know for a fact that Tesco and More Than do offer it so in essence you shouldn't have to worry about it until your car is 1 year old.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Not all Insurance carries new for old Admiral certainly dont hence why I purchased
as for thru Nissan no thanks they charge 3 times the price for same cover

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just to add, that you can only take out some Gap / RTI policies within the first few months of the vehicleregistration.

The idea is not to be out of pocket, so if your insurance pays out in the first year, all well and good. But it is reassuring to have a Gap / RTIpolicy esp' if the worst was to happen in 3 or 4years time.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys. I'll check my documents when they arrive, but the click one certainly seems a popular choice.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks for the info paulbrown10.

It's a bit late for me now,it's the chance I took. I couldn't find any bad reports about directgap at the time.

You don't happen to work for surfandprotect do you?
Edited by: deks36

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
As it has been mentioned before we'll only find out how good the policy is if the worst happens. Hopefully none us will have to find that out.
I had an insurance company refuse to pay out as "I wasn't in control of the vehicle at the time it was stolen" and said surely that would be kidnap! But they wouldn't have it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't know if I am being a diz
but can anyone explain the difference between options of gap insurance and how it works when you have pcp finance, and how does it work when you heaven forbid have to make a claim. I just don't want to be out of pocket or without my lovely brown Juke!

Edited by: dizzy03

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
you can a return to invoice RTI or a replacement car policy and one other according to the company I went with, as its a PCP which is the same for me I was advised that all I needed was an RTI policy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone.
I am the proud owner of a Nissan Juke and for my sins and through my job know quiet a bit about this.
Been reading your comments and I have to say there are a few things you are over looking, although surf & protect is a well established company there are others that are worth a look.
The most important thing in effect is as you commented on not the retailer / online broker.
You are 100 % right it is the insurance company as they are the ones who will write the chq. In today's economic climate the most important thing to look for<ul>[*]is to make sure that the policy you buy is fully FSA regulated[*]also to make sure that it is backed by the financial services compensation scheme ( this pays the policy in part if the insurance company cannot meat the claim)[/list]The reason that you may not of heard of most of the insurance companies is that gap insurance is a very niche market. Fortis is a household name but in the world of gap insurance there are many companies just as big if not bigger you may not of heard of. Ok got to say on a personal basis I prefer to deal with a British based company but that is not most important thing and is a personal choice.
The reason that the retailer is not as important is just as if you had bought the policy from your local dealership in most cases it is not in fact the broker who would deal with you if you ever needed to make a claim it is the insurance company.
Under current guidance insurance companies are heavily regulated and have to be seen to be treating customers fairly. So you should have no problem.
I would not only check out surf & protect but also easygap.co.uk and motorgap.co.uk there are lots of others, and if in doubt call them and see what they say. If you are not happy go elsewhere.
Me I got mine thrown is as part of the deal but I would have no-problem in buying online. Type gap insurance into Google and call a couple.
Good Luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts