Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious as to how other people are finding the fuel economy on their diesel Jukes? The highest I've managed to get is 37.8, which seems ridiculously low to me. I've tried driving in higher gears at lower speeds and it wasn't until I gave up and just drove it without thinking about it that my economy went up. Is it just me? I've never had a diesel before so I'm not sure if maybe there's a "right" and a "wrong" way to drive a diesel?

Feel free to take the pee out of me if the situation calls for it! :p

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Yes have to agree mine too is appalling most i have registered on the computer is 37 although mine has a lot to do with the fact we only do short journeys, still its better than the mpg i was getting from my petrol x-trail but its not good and way off Nissan figures
Edited by: deks36

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've done over 13,000 miles and am now getting ~46 mpg average.(it's improved as the mileage has increased). I can get up to mid 50's if I really take it steady but that's hard to sustain (and franlkly no fun...
)

I find that the best way to get the most out of the car is very lightaccelerationand not letting the revs get above 2000 rpm.. of course this isn't feasible on the motorway.
Another factor is that the indicated mpg is an average since the last reset.. so if you have a few journeys with hardacceleration/drivingthen you'll drag the average mpg down, you'll need the same amount of time at a very high mpg to keep the average back up and this will only be achieved on over-run - so eventually you'll have no chance of getting back to the 50's !
I accept that the concept of the car is sporty so I just enjoy the performance and don't worry too much (after all it's still better than the petrols...
)..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi Tom,
I live out in the sticks in the Cotswolds so have a 125 mile round trip to work, plus I have to travel a fair bit... my car was financed by my company so it also gets used as a bit of a pool car during the day...

I make sure they look after it though..

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
There is a thread out there already DCI Fuel Consumption which covers a lot of this

I am getting 32 MPG Town Driving and 51 MPG (both averages) for urban driving.. Both have dropped since I got the car.

NOt really impressed as i had a Qashqai with the same engine (pre DPF) and was getting significantly more . Given the Qashqai is a bigger car - I am quite disappointed..

Fee x

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you talking uk or us mpg here? I just got rid of a scenic with exactly the same engine and uk mpg never dipped below 50, and 55 was an easy ask. That car was a lot heavier and bigger than the juke so considering the same engine I would expect more from the juke, and I'm getting 39-45mpg from my base petrol juke - kinda relieved I didn't cough for the diesel now if this is correct

·
Registered
216 Posts
steveapple said:
Are you talking uk or us mpg here? I just got rid of a scenic with exactly the same engine and uk mpg never dipped below 50, and 55 was an easy ask. That car was a lot heavier and bigger than the juke so considering the same engine I would expect more from the juke, and I'm getting 39-45mpg from my base petrol juke - kinda relieved I didn't cough for the diesel now if this is correct
Exactly the same engine ? With the DPF ?
Only had mine a week so early days but according to the computer I've been getting 41 mpg around town and 52 mpg on my 32 mile round trip to work. All to be confirmed by calculating diesel used v mileage covered and it will also change once run in. Just quoting mpg figures is meaningless as it depends on your journey and if your doing low mileage and short journeys youshouldn'thave gone for a diesel. If those figures stay the same I'll be happy with the Juke.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mazza said:
Exactly the same engine ? With the DPF ?
Only had mine a week so early days but according to the computer I've been getting 41 mpg around town and 52 mpg on my 32 mile round trip to work. All to be confirmed by calculating diesel used v mileage covered and it will also change once run in. Just quoting mpg figures is meaningless as it depends on your journey and if your doing low mileage and short journeys you shouldn't have gone for a diesel. If those figures stay the same I'll be happy with the Juke.
Im not sure about the DPF - when i was in the dealers buying the Juke we discussed engines and he was telling me the one I was selling had the same engine as the diesel juke, and being a 1.5 renault turbo diesel with low 100's bhp like my old one i took him at his word

He was suggesting 50+mpg for the juke, about 10 more than the petrol 1.6, but i didn't think it worth the extra cost considering I do reasonably low mileage and diesel being so much more expensive - as I'm getting the petrol mpg in the low 40's and diesel mpg is being reported as sub 50 overall it sounds like the right choice for me.

Must try and work out exactly what the differences in the engine are though, I'm curious now as i would still expect the juke to be more efficient, if for no other reason than its about 200kg lighter than the scenic.

All that said, I'm no expert :)

Stephen

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ah just read more about the DPF and no it wasn't on the scenic, which probably explains things if the one on the Juke is as inefficient as it sounds

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 1.5diesel and economy appalling - very few short trips and still struggle to get past 44mpgvery disappointing - we have a ford smax - much heavier does easily 55plus on runs and 40 plus around the town . If new engines do another 2mpg - hope the quotes figure is more accurate than for this model. Nissan are losing some fans - if economy poor should be honest about it not pretend 50 plus is the norm.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I can only go from my experience in rural West Wales, not the most economical place to drive but better than town in all probability despite being very hilly and twisty. Short journeys, less than 10 miles, tend to post very low mpg on the driver's readout. Over that and I seldom get less than 46mpg indicated and easily display 50mpg. My best had been 53.5mpg in a day consisting of two journeys, one of 60 miles and the other of 40.
Not driving slowly either. Driving with economy in mind, yes, but slowly? Certainly not.

Economy has improved by about 4 to 5mpg in its first 2000 miles IMO.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Today I tested out the mpg on my new 2000 mile Juke,
215miles covered
6 short stops so engine stayed hot,
First 39 mile from very cold = 52 mpg varied driving from motorway to a roads, steady Eco driving, no fast blasts.
Next 20 miles = 59 mpg, now trying to drive smoothly, watching the re-set mpg indicator,
Next 25 mile was me trying hard to get the computer over the 60 mpg, got it to read 60.6 after 25 mile of open country roads
Next 23 miles showed 59 mpg as I was getting bored with being so carefull to try to get the average to sit above 60 mpg
The remaining miles were on the M6, foot down overtaking and keeping it in the fast lane for ages, no mind to economy at all, ended this section at an average of 54 mpg.
My mpg computer reads 3% optimistic so 60 mpg is more like 58 mpg in reality

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've just done 16,000 miles and I was interested in what the actual MPG were as previously posted you can't always trust the in-car gadgetry....anyway

The gadget shows I am getting on average 45 MPG when I did this manually I worked out on average I am getting about 50 MPG.

I was initially 'hung-up' about MPG like most folk but I take a much more philosophical position/outlook now.

If you accept that these cars don't have the best/most economical engines, are heavy, etc but look great, drive pretty well, and come kitted out well, life starts to become a more happy place.

This is obviously all in the context of not getting that bad fuel consumption from mine, as I think 50 is ok. Additionally I am almost a year in and the whole newness/love affair has worn off a little. Also there are so many around now, I feel a little less special.

There is a solution for the truly disillusioned amongst us.......buy the new Quashqi with the 1.6 Dci, meant to be a cracker of an engine, obviously wrapped up in a car that needs an update but hey beggars can't be choosers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the updates I can get my diesel to well above 50 on selected runs but try as I mighttop to bottom of tank it stubbornly refuses to go any better than a 45 mpg average
That apart agree with Kumaman it is a fun well kitted out vehicle
Frustration is that when new it did average nearly 50mpg and economy seems to worsen as it does more miles
Wonder if the Quasquai 1.6 new diesel engine will be fitted/ be able to be fitted to it in due course
that would give a perky combination - I think it has the power of the existing 2l diesel but the economy of the 1.5

·
Registered
952 Posts
The MPG will have dropped off a bit because of the cold weather, engine takes longer to warm up, higher electrical loads and I've heard (but not 100% sure) that the fuel from the pump is slightly different in winter too.
I've noticed a dip in my MPG and it's been more pronounced the last couple of weeks, no doubt normal service will be resumed once it gets a bit warmer.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mine just keeps getting better. It hit 57mpg on a trip last weekend. Was really trying though. Having said that, the roads around here are not suitable for ultimate economy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For the same driving cycle and driving style fuel economy should improve from new as the engine beds in.
Don't trust the mpg indicator but check between fill ups.
I'm getting 45mpg in town and up to 50 mpg with a couple of motorway trips in the weekly mix. Not yet taken the Juke on trips over 100 miles return trip, tend to use the Scooby for those longer runs.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts