Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, just done over 1000 miles and I have tried all the D mode settings and I cant see any difference in fuel economy! All the D mode seems to do is alter throttle response, I thought it may alter the ECU and alter performance the same as moding the chip can alter performance or fuel economy.

The best I can get off of my manual 1.6 Dig T is 30.9 mpg!

What is any one else getting??

·
Registered
443 Posts
Drive it like you stole it. Dig turbo about performance.
You want economy you need a k9k oil burner .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only done 500 miles in mine so far - however, I defo get better fuel consuption in ECO over Normal or Sport

You can see this by flicking between modes when at a constant speed, I'd say at 40mph you can gain approx 15-20mph when in ECO - although must admit, never bought the DiG-T so I could drive it in ECO mode

(Shame when in Cruise control you cant view the instant MPG stats though)

It's a little pocket rocket in disguise this Juke - Loved every mile so far

·
Registered
873 Posts
Changing between modes at a constant speed changes NOTHING about the fuel economy. Since the gear ratios are fixed, the RPM is still the same, so the same fuel is going into the engine.

·
Registered
309 Posts
eco prevents you from over reving and hence entices you to drive more economically and at a slower pace (improving fuel efficiency)- thats all. I agree with stormrider that at constant speed you receive no benefit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Silly question, but is this with aircon on or off cosfuel consumption will improve if you switch it off ? Makes a serious difference on my Alfa !

·
Registered
873 Posts
It makes more of a difference on older cars, but the air con on newer cars tends to be more efficient so not that much of a saving

·
Registered
10 Posts
brownjnr said:
eco prevents you from over reving and hence entices you to drive more economically and at a slower pace (improving fuel efficiency)- thats all. I agree with stormrider that at constant speed you receive no benefit.

So the Computer lying then???

I have sat several times at a constant speed in SPORT mode and watched the instant MPG (say at 25mpg) switched to ECO (you feel the mode kicking in, as if it's holding the car back) then you can physically see the MPG climb upwards (say towards the 40mpg) when the car continues to sit at the same initial speed...

So unless the Instant MPG readings are incorrect - I'd disagree with your comments in saying that the ECO mode does not give you any benifit at a constant speed...

Go try the above senario ??? I'd be interseted to see if you get a different result ???

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have tried the above scenario in order to prove this to someone else on here who thought this (while using cruise control). What exactly causes the MPG to go up? The air con won't have that much of an effect (it gets toned down a bit in eco mode) and I doubt the steering does either... at a set speed in a set gear, the car is doing a set RPM and is therefore using a set amount of fuel. There is nothing about the engine that changes except response times / throttle response, which has no relevance when talking about a constant speed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Stormrider said:
I have tried the above scenario in order to prove this to someone else on here who thought this (while using cruise control). What exactly causes the MPG to go up? The air con won't have that much of an effect (it gets toned down a bit in eco mode) and I doubt the steering does either... at a set speed in a set gear, the car is doing a set RPM and is therefore using a set amount of fuel. There is nothing about the engine that changes except response times / throttle response, which has no relevance when talking about a constant speed.
Totally agree.

Had this conversation with someone months ago, but they were determined mpg was better in eco at constant speed - how can it be? Car doesnt alter gear ratios or anything!

Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've noticed that I get the best fuel economy when I use it in Eco mode.
Bummed I go through gas like crazy, but I don't care. I LOVE the Juke Baby as I call it. I'm up to 1500 miles on her, and I've loved every one of them. ( I got it with 500 miles, because the dealer had to drive that far to get the car to me!)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey, it's not good on the mpg. I had a car that was - got 80 sometimes out of my Polo Bluemotion - but I didn't enjoy it at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I said in the first post, I was kind of hoping the D mode would change the ECU the same as changing a chip in it will if you are tuning the car. Iunderstand thatcertain countries have diferent stipulatiuons on emisions/performance and some manufacturers will modify the ECU to suit local laws especially if it helps drop tax on a car and aid sales.
I hoped the D modes would be three different ecu settings. This would allow you fun if you wanted it (and boy is it fun
!!!) and to counteract all the fun a boring mode to get you the extra mpg to get you to the next petrol stop to allow the fun to begin again

So what is the best mpg people are getting when not pedal to the metal?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have got close to 60mpg on some pretty short trips doing 30 through a town (on the flat) but average is about 35!

·
Registered
575 Posts
It'll def change at constant speed between eco, normal and sport. Effectively what you're doing with the 3 modes is changing the engine map so even at the same constant speed, you'll alter fuel economy.
Trouble is, eco mode makes the DIG-T feel very ordinary so I've more or less stopped using it
According to the computer, I'm averaging 29.9mpg which is a combination of fuel and motorway driving. I didn't buy the DIG-T for fuel economy, but its pretty disappointing so far. It's only a 1.6 engine and getting almost 20% less than I was from my old Scirocco. Hopefully it'll loosen up and improve. I've only done 1,800 miles so far

·
Registered
457 Posts
Not too good on the fuel economy. Maybe that will improve with time. I could only afford the basic 1.6 engine - not sure what the fuel economy figures on that will be as Im still waiting for my car to arrive !

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm pretty sure the modes don't change the engine map at all, they just change throttle response, steering and climate.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Stormrider said:
I'm pretty sure the modes don't change the engine map at all, they just change throttle response, steering and climate.
That's correct. Wanna see a pic of a graph on Eco ?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts