Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone thought about tinting their front side windows to their legal limits?
Obviously it wont be as dark as the rear, but there wont be that extreme contrast as there is presently.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
YES!!! i have given this much thought but im not sure how its going to affect the night time driving.
I have been in a car with reall dark tints and i found it hard to see some cars with dim head lights.
What gradient were u thinking?
For me maybe a 20-30% tint i think

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
local window tinter wont do fronts here any more as he was prosecuted by the police as one he had done was over the legal limit and as he fitted it he was also liable
problem with the fronts is its down to officers interpretaion of whats legal when he stops you then you have all the grief of waiting about while that light meter it etc

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think different areas of the country have different levels of acceptability regarding the % of light allowed to pass through the the tint. I'm in the Glasgow area, but I'm sure inthe Newcastle area much darker tints are permitted.

I got all of my windows tinted on my previous car, a 5 door Grand Vitara. They were to the legal limitand it looked superb. Can't remember the %. Ito had the same worry, but it was totally fine at night. I also had the matching visor stip at the top of the windscreen, which really set it off and will be going for again.
With regards to getting a tug from the police, I was never pulled over in 3 years for my tints, and mine looked darker that they were cause the interior was so dark. The police are only interested in boy racers in there blacked-out Corsas, with thebottom end of a lamp post hanging off their rearbumper.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
UK law its now 75% through the windscreen 70% from infront of the B post, as Deks said you'll be lucky if you can find someone who will do it. As good as it does look the police are really hot on this. Plus when they stop you, if you are found to be below the legal light limit you will be asked to remove the tint straight away, if you can't you will have to have your vehicle towed from where they pull you. Sounds extreme but that is want they can make you do.http://www.ukwindowtints.co.uk/Law.htm

·
Registered
62 Posts
from my experience all cars that have tinted windows from factory - ie green/blue tints through the glass are tinted to the maximum level allowed by uk law anything extra on top makes them illegal. some people will do the tints but its at your own risk( fine+ 3+ points) depends on the circumstances ie if you pull out a junction at night and get hit by a car with no lights on, it would still be your fault as your windows were too dark to see it comming ........
i have arranged to put on the lightest tint on the front for a few people and it gives a good look with a dark interior and roof. one person was stopped by police but when they looked through to the other window they could see fine through it and let it slide ( as it looked much darker from the outside) if they had got out a light meter it would have been a different story though...

·
Registered
41 Posts
MostInsurance company terms and conditions state that they allow tinting to manufacturers specifications - carefully wordedto mean almost any darker tint even within the law probably invalidates your insurance.

Saw onesmart chapin his "modified " Corsa have to wind down hisinky black drivers window to see oncoming traffic betterwhen pulling out of a petrol station and it wasnt raining etc justdaylight with perfectly good visibility.Edited by: juke_jukster

·
Registered
998 Posts
Juke of Hamilton said:
Anyone thought about tinting their front side windows to their legal limits?
Obviously it wont be as dark as the rear, but there wont be that extreme contrast as there is present

Thoughts?

keep your visibility and possibly your life. T

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've had three years Audi with tinted front windows and police did not stop me, even once, MOT is also no problem, but this should be done in a professional company and the best of the front windows tint polarizing film

·
Registered
123 Posts
My previous Civic Type R has tinted front windows as standard so it can be done to a point

1 - 10 of 10 Posts