Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now what can be said about the Juke that most have not already said, maybe take off the rose glasses? yes it looks good, yes it has a few good gadgets but the drive is not all that.
I've had the thing for 2 months, a Tekna dci in pearl black, the first 700 miles were ok. even fun if you didn't need to stop quickly that is, I can imagine that the car you see swerving all over the road in the action movies when there's a car chase is a Juke. doing 70 in eco mode on the motorway and braking due to a sudden lane change by another car caused what a motorcyclist would possibly refer to as a tank slap. fortunately no harm other than a few frayed nerves. then on the same journey a rough patch of road surface meant a great reduction in speed or else ones organs would have ended up as puree.
after a couple of longish journeys in the first 2 weeks and clocking up 700 miles, that's when it started, a horrible vibration rattle coming from somewhere behind/inside (according to how you wish to phrase it) the dash at between 1.5K and 2K revs when pulling away in gears 1 to 4. It has been back to the dealer 3 times so far and the 4th is tomorrow. The technician's comment of " we've had a few noise issues with the Juke" does not fill me with confidence. after paying out for a new car in 2012 I really didn't expect this. So much for Nissan build quality.
I'm now on nearly 3K miles and would say that the fuel consumption all though not great is not bad, I'm getting an indicated 50 MPG and as I don't drive what would be called steadily all the time, so I am all in all reasonably happy with that.
It sounds like a real bitch fest from me, but if the dealer manages to cure the rattle, maybe the next 3 years of motoring wont be the annoyance that the majority of the first 3 thousand miles has been. and the next post will be a bit more positive

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can certainly sympathise with you. A rattle in a car can be both annoying and hard to find. Not the sort of thing you expect to face with a brand new car. I hope it is resolved soon.
I haven't had any problem with the brakes, but I am usually very light on the brakes and haven't had to hang them on in an emergency situation. Was it just the once it happened? Did the rears lock up, or what?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've now experienced the braking twitching twice, both times with the car in eco mode on the motorway, have tried hard braking in the other 2 modes at lower speeds without the same effect, so I don't use eco mode, it doesn't seem to suit my style of driving.
the effect was to roll the car from side to side. as if the anti-locks were coming on and off on different wheels at different times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not had any problems with the brakes in my juke, which is the same model as yours. I do a 50 mile round motorway trip each day in eco mode and the brakes seem to be perfect for me. Also i didnt realise the driving modes had any effect on braking? Thought it was just fuelling and engine parameters it altered?! :S

·
Registered
952 Posts
Driving mode has nothing to do with braking, will have been a coincidence. I did once have the back end go very light on me during heavy braking when the car was new, but never since then. Assuming your tyre pressures are OK I'd get the dealer to check it out, could be a problem with one of the calipers sticking or similar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back from the workshop and rattle has gone !!!!!!
Turned out to be the AC pipes which are routed around the front suspension housing, tapping against it.
mind you had a plastic squeak after picking it up this time.. dash board had been removed... but feeling about and a quick sharp push clicked it all back and no more plastic sound. .. whoopee !!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Crikey. I was just thinking how quiet the Juke was compared to my previous motor though must confess Eco mode scares me. Braking not a problem (apart from the amount of brake dust on the front alloy wheels) but pulling out at junctions/roundabouts can be well scary when the motor seems to refuse to move my Juke! Standard seems better but Sport is more responsive, then of course the mpg goes down!! Though I am only averaging 39.5 mpg at the minute mostly short around town journeys; 4 - 5 miles to work. My Juke has only done 460 miles so still running it in keeping revs below 4000 rpm, mostly. Hopefully once the engine has loosened up it will improve?

My motorbike has a similar system: Rain (never used), Touring (smooth, best when I have pillion on board), Sport (instant response though does not seem to effect mpg as much as the Juke Sport mode does).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thought i had a problem with my breaks?the peddle seemed to creep down when i had stopped,
went back to the Nissan garage cheeked it and was told all is well??
Still seams strange but got used to it now,just hold my breath if some thing stops quick in front !!

·
Registered
216 Posts
airbrusher said:
Thought i had a problem with my breaks?the peddle seemed to creep down when i had stopped,
went back to the Nissan garage cheeked it and was told all is well??
Still seams strange but got used to it now,just hold my breath if some thing stops quick in front !!
The brakes aresurprisinglycrap for a new car, I thought it was because I went from a BMW which are known for good brakes. I must be getting used to it now as they seem to do the job ok.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure how the modes work on the juke, but our other car, a Alfa Mito has a DNA switch which basically does the same thing. It changes the throttle response and steering.

What it also does it to control the stability control system. If the car detects a skid, it will apply brakes on individual wheels to try and stabilise the car. On the Mito is all but off ins port mode. Doesnt make sense it would reduce stability in eco mode, but i guess thats whats going on.

I suspect eco mode on our 1.6 petrol is just changing the range of sensitivity of the throttle pedal - i recon in itself it doesnt have much effect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts