Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please explain, in language that the fairer sex can understand, about the spare wheel?
1. What's wrong with the gunk? Its said that it makes the wheel unusable, but if its got a flat, you wouldn't want to reuse it anyway?
2. If you do get a space saver spare wheel, does it fit in the boot?
3. Given that I would call out the RAC anyway, if I bought a spare wheel, would I need a jack?
4. Can you call out the RAC with no spare? What would they do? Is adding gunk something that they would expect anyone to be able to do?
5. IS the gunk good for any sort of flat?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
the gunk supplied will inflate a flat tyre but you wont be able to get the puncture repaired as it ruins the tyre, so if you put the gunk in you will have to buy a new tyre,whereas if you put the spare on you can then take the flat tyre to a garage and hopefully have puncture repaired cost around £15 new tyre around £140.
given you will call RAC out then no you wont need a jack.
yes you can call the Rac out with no spare, they will either put gunk in or have it recovered.
gunk is good for punctures, flats but it wont repair a blow out or a serious cut or hole in tyre.

Edited by: deks36

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deks36 said:
the gunk supplied will inflate a flat tyre but you wont be able to get the puncture repaired as it ruins the tyre, so if you put the gunk in you will have to buy a new tyre,whereas if you put the spare on you can then take the flat tyre to a garage and hopefully have puncture repaired cost around £15 new tyre around £140.
given you will call RAC out then no you wont need a jack.
yes you can call the Rac out with no spare, they will either put gunk in or have it recovered.
gunk is good for punctures, flats but it wont repair a blow out or a serious cut or hole in tyre.
Very helpful. Now I understand the difference.
I guess its legal not to have a jack if you have the gunk available.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My wife had a puncture on her S-Max no spare wheel and no place to put one.
Called out the AA. The tyre had a small cut in the sidewall he used the gunk that they carry and painted some other compound on to seal the cut, then followed her to the tyre depot for a new tyre. I was surprised that they had not towed her in, but was quicker than waiting for recovery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts