Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone come home from work or even a some what short drive of 10-15 miles and stood by you Juke while it cools down.
Mine clicks and clunks for about 10 mins lol.
I am assuming its due to the aluminium engine contracting or expanding
as the engine cools down. Havent heard that ticking noise of the turbo cooling down yet but maybe thats only on older turbos / diesels.

Anyone else had this?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
MB, not being funny but you seem to have every problem going on with your juke.....
Have a look out your window and check that your car doesn't match the one below

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Get out of the car and walk in the house, DO NOT stick your head under the bonnet looking for things. See no evil hear no evil.

·
Registered
998 Posts
3things will prevent these noises, drive car, park it, then immediately in doors for a cup of tea and forum. T
PS more likely to be the exhaust cooling down around manifold area.Edited by: trachycarpus

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, i really hope i dont have a lemon :(
I guess i would feel better knowing that what the car is doing is normal
and its not something i have to be weary of.
Last car was also full of problems.
I just think that everything should work 100%
but maybe nothing is ever perfect lol

·
Registered
998 Posts
meaga-byte said:
lol, i really hope i dont have a lemon :(
I guess i would feel better knowing that what the car is doing is normal
and its not something i have to be weary of.
Last car was also full of problems.
I just think that everything should work 100%
but maybe nothing is ever perfect lol
I hope so too for your sake but coming from Worcester it's more likely to be an Apple. Worcesters are a very nice apple and hopefully you'll enjoy a roadworthy car. T

·
Registered
309 Posts
I know the noise your talking about. Most modern motors do the same thankfully!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't worry, mine does the same.

On the flip side, maybe we both should be worried?!

It's the engine cooling, my guess.

·
Registered
167 Posts
brownjnr said:
I know the noise your talking about. Most modern motors do the same thankfully!
the metalic clicking cooling sound is the classic sign of landrovers, they have been doing that for years - as well as many other cars - my mates citroen saxo comes to mind back in the late 90's

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You can have a good listen at the meet

·
Registered
484 Posts
</font>Totally
normal, it’s just hot metal cooling down. Things like exhaust heat shields are notorious
for this sound because they are wafer thin.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

</font>

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think so as well. Im also hoping that the heat-shield if loose and is casing the noise i can heat at 65 and up wards. Well the car is booked in today at about 1:30 so will ask them about the cooling down noises.
Also the crunchy gear changing.
I know people had a problem with the 5 speed but with my 6 speed changing from 1st to second it a little knotchy and im sure i felt a crunch once lol.

·
Registered
415 Posts
On a serious note, does the Turbo have to run on tickover for a minute or so to allow it to settle down? I have read in some motoring columns that this is necessary on BMW etc.

·
Registered
484 Posts
</font>Use
a bit of common sense really. If you have given the turbo a good working, it is
advisable to let it cool down, probably more so with diesels as the oil absorbs
a lot of carbon. If you suddenly stop the oil flow to the turbo bearings the
oil can get too hot and cause the carbon /oil to solidify in the turbo bearings
or supply / return hoses. This build up can eventually starve the turbo
bearings of oil & is the major cause of turbo failure. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

</font>

</font>I
work turbos hard and I have never had an issue. Once I leave the motorway I
have a 2 mile 30 mph drive which I use as my cool down,I then leave it ticking
over for 30 seconds to a minute once I get home.

</font>

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm, this is my first turbo car so didnt know i had to let the engine run a little before turning it off. should this be done after all journeys or only when traveling long distance?
Long distance to me is 30 miles. my daily commute is only about 15 each way and very little is dual caridge way and non of it is motor way lol

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just got myself into the habit of letting it run on for a while.Most people will notcool down & willnever havean issue.At the end of the day if it fails under warranty you should be okay.Just google 'major cause of turbo failure' and you'll have all the info you require.
</font>

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Mez, Reckon ill do what im doing now but after a long drive or heavy motor way use ill give it a little while to cool before turning off the engine.
For the sake of a few minutes a month and possibly saving the turbo i think its a good trade off :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts