Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

Have you to make an effort to change gear

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some more fun... how many drivers do we have that have not fully moved into the future of technology? The CVT gearbox is very slick and even the semi-automatic aspect of a simple nudge forward or backward could not be easier.
But, I realize that there are those that love the added complication of having to change gear themselves just as the car decides to slip round the corner in the wet or snow or have to drop a gear themselves before overtaking just to make sure hey have enough power to go, go go. Yes I know you should already be in the correct gear before starting amaneuver but, all too often I have been in cars with drivers that change gear half-way across a roundabout or major openingand it makes me cringe.
Okay - nuff said.
Who like playing with their gear-knobs and who doesn't want to wear out the bit on the top?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Automatic is too boring for me at the moment, I quite enjoy changing gears while I drive!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
As I learned to drive in the USA, I have only ever had automatics.

So the manual option should be a bit of a laugh, and a learning curve for me.

Any hints for the shiftingly challenged are welcomed

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Each to their own Stormrider. I suppose at least with the type of CVT fitted to the Juke people that still like to change gears themselves will have that opportunity on the Tekna grade.
I am looking forward to making a comparison when our Juke arrives in summer. Till then I can only speculate...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Acrocat - the only thing to remember is you will have one hand less to steer with at times and oh, yes, another peddle to clutter things up in the foot-well. I suffer from back pain with years of crawling in traffic jams and so autos are a must for me but, hey if it ain't affecting you yet, maybe it never will. Enjoy using your left arm and leg a bit more

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi,
With the CVT you dont need to use your left leg anymore, but shifting gear is still possible. For me its a win/win situation.

grtz,

Dirk

·
Registered
659 Posts
I like automatics but my Juke is manual and it has the best gear-change and ratios of any car I have ever had. And I've had plenty since 1974. I find the change no effort at all. A positive JOY.

·
Registered
199 Posts
if you learnt to drive in a manual and unless you have a disability, then the autos are more money, less fuel effiecient, its hardly back-breaking work pressing your left foot and moving your arm is it???
next thing you'll be wanting cameras and self park features on ya car....
just the next step to cars that'll drive themselves

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have ordered the Tekna CVT 1.6 but I thought it was just an automatic gearbox and had no option to manually change gears if you wanted to. I thought this was only on the 4WD. Can anyone confirm this please?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 2wd is CVT only, the 4wd is CVT plus 6 fixed ratios, hence Dig-t 4wd CVT-M6. It is similar to the strptronic on many full autos, but like all these things, the manual overide tends not to get used very much in practice.

I have driven both the CVT and the CVT-M6 and they both seem very good.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are good boxes and bad boxes out there in both manual guise and auto.
Personally I like the CVT and the DSG gearboxes because you can't feel the gear change and when the car is moving it doesn't look like a nodding donkey like you see with manual cars.Not all manuals - it does depend upon how good the driver is at changing gear and I feel sure that all manual drivers here are expert at changing gear else they would opt for the auto_Out of the 11 or so manual cars that I have had, I can't remember any that had a bad gear change. Virtually every one had a nice smooth change to it. Cars I have driven that had poorer changes were Fords.One slight disappointment for me when we test drove the first Juke (1.6Acenta manual) was how bad the gear change from 1st to 2nd was. It didn't disturb me too much though as I knew we would be ordering the CVT. The test drive of the 4WD/CVT was fantastic. I'm with you ****. It will leave any of the manuals standing if that's what your into. I bet even the DiG-T manual would get a run for it's money too. 0.7 seconds is nothing, just depends who's driving.
This poll is going well though. Thanks again to all who have responded.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I spend a lot of time in my car and have so far only driven manual. This will be my first automatic. I drove Honda Insight which has CVT and loved it so i decided no more wasting my time and energy on changing gears! Now I just have to be patient and wait presumably till march 20th. I justhope that the new CVT supplieris the same quality as the old one.Simon

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
As an auto driver (with an auto licence owing to taking my British Test in an automatic LHD Jeep), I have only experienced manual changing from the passenger side.

As such I can report that many manual gear changes feel "clunky and lumpy" when compared with my usual experience as a driver. The act of changing seemed disruptive to me, drawing away attention, albeit momentarily, from the road.

I fully appreciate Dougal's point about how good or bad the car's system is and the capability of the driver having once thought that the car I was travelling in was about to drop dead of the hiccoughs

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha, ha - Acrorat, so true...
By the way Simon, CVTs have been around for a long time and are w well proven technology. As always fingers crossed that you and I both have no problems to talk of.I have had three CVTs so far (2 x Fiat Panda and 1 x Honda Civic Hybrid - presnet car) and am awaiting my fourth from Nissan.The Honda Insight was going to be a serious contender to the Juke for us as it is just a slightly smaller version of our Civic Hybrid but, with a hatch and folding rear seats. The ride though, was not very comfortable. In an effort to get the car to slip through the air with minimal resistance they have sacrificed some comfort by lowering it - another bad point for driving through snow. The belly rubs quite a lot. Still may have been decent enough transport.Enjoy the banter and keep posting.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
12Inchmick said:
CVT Fantastic. So far I have been called "Mature" "Lazy" "Subdued" and "Boring" on this forum for having a CVT - all I can say is come out for a race if you think your up to it...................

CVT Rocks
The best race feel is with manual, CVT is like driving on GT5......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts