Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

i will try to explain my concerns about my Juke CVT performance, but first i must apologyse, because i am from Portugal and i hope you understand myenglish (dont look at grammar errors, please
)

I have received a shinny Red Force Juke 1.6 Tekna Premium - CVT and i have less than 2 weeks with it. It has now 250 miles (total) and an average 35mpg

Prior to Juke i have a Toyota Corolla 1.4 Diesel (manual gears) and to make a comparison experience, my wife has a Smart Fortwo (petrol) with automatic gears.

Overall, i am very pleased with Juke. It has great handling, good gadgets (1-con; Nissan Connect with GPS and rear camera) and ai superb design

My concerns are about CVT performance and my prior driving habits.

WithCVT, because we really dont have "gears", when i have a climbing road ahead (for example 6% rise / increase) i try to press the gas pedal more, but the sound of the engine is very "floating"... he tries to make a vigourous climbing, but when he must go a gear under to increase power he is not very smooth. With my previous car i try to antecipate this reduncing the gear (4th to 3th, for example), but with CVT i cannot antecipate this. I know if i press all the gas pedal, the car makes a huge motor sound and he reduces the gear, but i dont think it his a very healthy way to "antecipate" a climbing road

This happens more with "eco mode" and "normal", but even with "sport" i have doubts about the "sound" of the engine. It his not continuous.

With my wife Smart Fortwo, the automatic gears soundsare more "normal"
and not floating

I try to explain the better i could, but i would like to hear from CVT owners what are your thoughts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Hi Samdrivt, Glad you too are enjoying your Juke.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">
I have had the CVT 1.6 Tekna since January and have done 3000 miles. The car is fantastic and I love the CVT. As you say the engine is high Revving but it is designed that way. It certainly revs higher than other cars I have had before. I don't see this as an issue as I am reassured that this is quite normal.
When it comes to steep hills it does rev high but seems to find the correct gear ok, even in cruise control which means the car is deciding not my right foot. Although there is little difference with or without cruise on. I tend to be in normal mostly now after my first two months of sport mode only, opting for sports mode when needed. You have about the same MPG as me too.
regards
12inch

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Welcome SamdrivtGlad you have joined us.I cant help you with your CVT question but am hopeful that our CVT owners will try to assist you. **** has had his CVT for the longest on the site if I remember correctly - He is an expert on all things CVT!!!!All the bestFee x

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've had my CVT since November and I drive up a steep hill on my morning journey with a cold engine. Yes it is noisy but I think the gear change is smooth. I previously test drove the Honda Jazz i-shift and you really had to hold your breathe while you waited for the car to change gear; it was like having a learner sitting next to you doing the gear change for you!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Comparing to the Smart is not really fair is it - how much engine power do you need to drive a shopping trolley?

·
Registered
30 Posts
What mpg you getting out of yours now silverjuke?

·
Registered
754 Posts
kennypowers said:
What mpg you getting out of yours now silverjuke?
Proper driving (out of rush hour) about 35-38mpg
Stuck in queues and averaging 11mph through a whole tank of petrol then its 27-29 mpg. My Honda Jazz (1.4 engine with a CVT) was getting 30mpg in rush hour, so I figure 10% lower for a 15% bigger engine is OK.

·
Registered
265 Posts
silverjuke said:
Comparing to the Smart is not really fair is it - how much engine power do you need to drive a shopping trolley?

"shopping trolley" you can find in most of the time 71, 84 or 98 BHP ...
juke with 1.6 petrol has 110 BHP but more weight ...

·
Registered
66 Posts
At the last fuel fill up I worked it out as40mpg so am very pleased. But only filled up twice since getting the car 10 days ago and first one was 31mpg - so will keep working it out manually till confident I have it right

1 - 9 of 9 Posts