Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you buy a diesel for economy, unless you have the car for a long time, you won't break even. The diesel is an extra £1,500 and delivers 10 mpg more on official figures. The extra £1,500 equates to 250-275 "free" gallons of fuel, which is over 11,000 miles "free" motoring on the petrol.
There is an argument about resale value, but the only thing I know about trading a car in is that you get royally shafted by dealers and they will use any excuse possible to drive the price down. If you have a petrol, they'll say the diesel is worth more or vice versa. If you have leather they tell you it doesn't make any difference and if you don't have they'll tell you its essential.
The main thing is to go for the engine and drive you enjoy and not base it on economy. If you like petrol cars because of their smoothness, buy one, if you like a diesel's low down torque, go for a diesel, just don't listen to the marketing men about economy and resale. Its all rubbish to help line the manufacturer's pocket (and dealers)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Diesel engines are becoming much more complex these days, there's an awful lot more to go wrong:
High pressure injection systemsDPFDual mass flywheelsTurbosEGR
They generally cost more to buy; more to service & more to repair when they go wrong. I loved the power & torque from my X-Trail, the earlier Volvo S60 D5, but I have decided petrol is the way forward for me. I chose an auto box on my Accord Tourer to ease the pain of stirring the gears with the high revving iVTEC engine.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
chris78 said:
If you buy a diesel for economy, unless you have the car for a long time, you won't break even. The diesel is an extra £1,500 and delivers 10 mpg more on official figures. The extra £1,500 equates to 250-275 "free" gallons of fuel, which is over 11,000 miles "free" motoring on the petrol.
There is an argument about resale value, but the only thing I know about trading a car in is that you get royally shafted by dealers and they will use any excuse possible to drive the price down. If you have a petrol, they'll say the diesel is worth more or vice versa. If you have leather they tell you it doesn't make any difference and if you don't have they'll tell you its essential.
The main thing is to go for the engine and drive you enjoy and not base it on economy. If you like petrol cars because of their smoothness, buy one, if you like a diesel's low down torque, go for a diesel, just don't listen to the marketing men about economy and resale. Its all rubbish to help line the manufacturer's pocket (and dealers)
agree with all of that
now I am beginning to wish i had gone for the DIG-T
oh well car looks the same no matter whats under the bonnet, road tax is cheaper and i got 2 free services with it then it will be 3 years old come next one and bye bye

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sure you'll be fine with the diesel. Tonnes of torque so will be good to drive.
Maybe I should drive mine down to Herne Bay for a drag race though

·
Registered
110 Posts
rochesb said:
Diesel engines are becoming much more complex these days, there's an awful lot more to go wrong:

High pressure injection systems
DPF
Dual mass flywheels
Turbos
EGR

They generally cost more to buy; more to service & more to repair when they go wrong.

Agree entirely with this - and for it was for these reasons that the petrol Juke we have on order is the 1st petrol car we have had in over 15years !!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have a pre-facelift QQ in White with the 150ps diesel. I first test drove the 2.0 petrol version and was so upset. It was like driving a Skoda Rapid!

Then I drove the 2.0 Diesel and was totally blown away. I wive in the Alps where it is very hilly and this car is BRILLIANT!

I also do a lot of Autobahn driving and the QQ is happy to sit there between 190 and 200kmh without a flinch. Fastes speed on this car was 220kmh.

The engine is great and quiet both inside and out.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts