Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... I notice that a number of you have driven/do drive QQ's, but I'm sure most drivers will have an opinion...

My wife and I tested 2 QQs recently - we were told that they were a 2.0 diesel and a 2.0 petrol (both manual). Both cars were pre-facelift. Now I haven't driven a diesel in y-e-a-r-s so I wasn't sure what to expect from it. The 0-60 times are supposed to be the same but the diesel felt so slow at launch - to the point of risky at a busy junction/roundabout... is this still the case with most diesels?

I keep reading reviews where diesels are flaunted as the better option nowadays, but for average mileage use petrol still seems to be far and away the better drive for busy town use.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
110 Posts
When you are considering the petrol / diesel options you need also to take into account your driving habits. Most if not all of the modern diesels have a DPF filter on them. This is to help reduce partictulate (soot) emmisions that the diesels are noted for. Unfortunately there seems to be a distinct lack of consumer knowledge about the DPF's and I dont think the Manufacturers/Dealers are doing their bit to help either. Basically over a number of miles the DPF gets clogged with the soot particles and needs to "regenerate" ie burn off all this accumulated soot. Regeneration relies on certain engine conditions - maintained revs/speed over a certain distance - a good motorway run for example. If you only usea dieselcar for predominantly frequent, short journeys then the DPF will not regen and believe me - you WILL have trouble. This was one of the reasons I have ordered a petrol model this time - not had a petrol car for 15yrs. Sorry if this has alarmed anyone thats ordered a diesel, but best to know what the score is from the start.
Just do a quick google for "DPF Problems" loads of info about potential issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi steve_lj and thanks for the reply... a godd 'heads-up for those who didn't know.

I was already aware of the filter 'issue' (it's even mentioned in the QQ catalogue but not in very large prnt!). Now I think of it, it's not mentioned in the Juke catalogue that I can remember.

This wouldn't be a 'deal-breaker; for me... it would get some hi-revving runs to sort out the DP. It's more the general driveability of the diesels I was wanting to know.

Cheers!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I test-drove both 2.0 petrol and 2.0 diesel versions of the QQ before buying the petrol. I liked the torque of the diesel, withmore "ooomph" lower down the revs but ultimately the diesel was about £1500 more expensive to buy initially and even with the better fuel consumption, the guide on Parkers website (http://www.parkers.co.uk/News/Motoring-Costs/Petrol-vs-Diesel-calculator/)reckoned it would take me 7 or 8 years to get the money back.

Plus I'm far too young to own a diesel.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thought about a diesel this time but the math did not work out, over 3 years to break even. My wife has a diesel S max and does 24000 + miles a year and will brake even in about 2 years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done the sums too, and the diesel will break even after 4 years or so... but I don't know if I could live with it for that long... it just seemed that pulling away from a dead stop was like getting Grandma out of the chair... it made me think that it couldn't possibly have the same bhp as the petrol, but they assured me that the 2 I drove were the same cc.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The Qashqai 1.5 Dci only had a DPF fitted this year although the 2.0 Dci QQ has had one for years.
If you do low mileage - go for a petrol instead.
I have had both the 2.o l petrol QQ - which has a fantastic engine, goes like the clappers and very reliable and the 1.5 Dci which has good torque considering the weight its lugging about.
Loads of QQ 2.0Dci owners over the years have had major DPF issues and its yet to be seen how the new DPF will affect the new QQ, Qashqai club has around 12000 views.
Good luck whatever you do - you will have to do some miles over the years to make up for the increased cost BUT you'll save yourself a lot of worry if you go for the petrol
GOOD LUCK
Fee x

·
Registered
443 Posts
To be honest we.don't have re occurring DPF problems at our branch once the ecm has been re programmed.
The new systems have a dedicated heat system so no longer relys on the hot exhaust gas .
It's been used in other markets and is not caused any issues .

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Thats what I am hoping for - when my Dci comes - no DPF worries- its been the only worry for me since I ordered the car.. That and the waiting time!!!!
Fee x

·
Registered
110 Posts
Juke-of-earl said:
To be honest we.don't have re occurring DPF problems at our branch once the ecm has been re programmed.
The new systems have a dedicated heat system so no longer relys on the hot exhaust gas .
It's been used in other markets and is not caused any issues .
On the new systems - where is the heat generated from ?? Do the systems have the fuel additive ??

·
Registered
484 Posts
thin black juke said:
Hi all... I notice that a number of you have driven/do drive QQ's, but I'm sure most drivers will have an opinion...

My wife and I tested 2 QQs recently - we were told that they were a 2.0 diesel and a 2.0 petrol (both manual). Both cars were pre-facelift. Now I haven't driven a diesel in y-e-a-r-s so I wasn't sure what to expect from it. The 0-60 times are supposed to be the same but the diesel felt so slow at launch - to the point of risky at a busy junction/roundabout... is this still the case with most diesels?

I keep reading reviews where diesels are flaunted as the better option nowadays, but for average mileage use petrol still seems to be far and away the better drive for busy town use.

Any thoughts?

The turbo diesel will be slower off the mark than the petrol n/a engine, if you’re into racing from the lights, for example but once moving the diesel’s torque comes into its own and will outperform the petrol, hence the similar 0-60 times. However, due to the superior torque of the diesel the 30-70 times would favour the diesel. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

As already mentioned, the latest EU emissions rules require all diesels to have DPF filters to capture the soot. If you search ‘DPF problem’ you will see many complaints, which may help you to decide whether a diesel is the right choice for you. Having said that, when there is a problem people shout about it, and for every 1 shouting there are probably 999 happy customers.

My view is that if you are doing mainly urban / short runs, buy a petrol car.

Still confused?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Well thats me in trouble mine will be mainly local runs but i can deal with the odd run down the motor way to clean it out if needed I went for Diesel for the cheaper road tax, fuel economy and lastly the re sale, constantly when i have had cars for sale people say oh i would have had that if it had been diesel so heres hoping i made the right choice

·
Registered
575 Posts
To be honest, deks, when you're trading a car in, you're always told a lot of cow manure by whoever is buying to get the price down. "if only it was diesel", "it only it had leather", "we get more for models with satnav", "extras don't add to the value of the car", "its the wrong colour", etc etc etc.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
wasnt considering p/x more private sale tbh p/x value is the same no matter what extras etc etc
found in the past that even service history didnt make a blind bit of difference on p/x
mind did figure that even though its cost me more to buy it will still be worth more than the n/a petrol anyway so i get 3 years cheaper tax and better fuel consumption as i will most likely only be keeping it 3 years

·
Registered
110 Posts
deks36 said:
Well thats me in trouble mine will be mainly local runs but i can deal with the odd run down the motor way to clean it out if needed I went for Diesel for the cheaper road tax, fuel economy and lastly the re sale, constantly when i have had cars for sale people say oh i would have had that if it had been diesel so heres hoping i made the right choice

The worry is that on a lot of cars you dont actually know when a regen is imminent - unless there is an indication on the Juke. If you have done a number of short runs how would you know when the regen was due ??

·
Registered
110 Posts
Juke-of-earl said:
It has its own injector.No.additives are used
So are you saying that diesel is post dosed into the exhaust stream to raise the temp ???
If thats the case them i'm even more sure I made the right choice in getting a petrol. Mazda have used this on the 5/6 series - have been some disasters - have a look on the forums.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
if its like my superb you get a warning light come on on the dash
a blast down the dual carriageway soon sorts out soot build

to be frank its something we are all going to have to get used as the euro emissons laws get ever tighter for all vehicles
unless the manufacturers develop a total problem free solution

1 - 20 of 46 Posts