Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

Diesel mpg enough is enough.Vehicle now sold

69K views 83 replies 26 participants last post by  ... 
#1 ·
The diesel debate remains serious.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

It’s so serious I have sold mine after 4000 expensive miles

I have watched with interest the genuine comments from Juke diesel drivers who have experienced dire mpg returns like me.(Please don't record details on here of speeds of 62mph on motorways - most people are arrested for going so slowly!)
My dci travelling regular journeys of over 100 miles on dual carriageways at 77mph (2700rpm) returns under 42mpg every time.The car handles so well and is certainly not under powered.So what is the problem?

Deks and others have raised genuine concerns; so why has everyone gone quiet?
I loved this car, but 325miles on a full tank !Nissan wake up and do something you are having a laugh.

This has to be the worst diesel mpg figures ever experienced and so, so far off the quoted figures everyone expects.

BBC Watchdog are interested in our experience.I guess that until a lawyer owns and drives one and has the experience to take on Nissan via the Misrepresentation Act nothing will happen.
I for one never got the 'disclaimer notice'given out about diesel mileage under performance I hope you got yours and you read and digested what it really means before purchase.

Thanks for the honesty on this site.To all dci Nissan/Renault engine users good luck – you will need it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Donald999

I am waiting on my new Civic and absolutely agree that the diesel MPGissue is clearly not solved and to be honest I doubt it never will be. My Juke will be away on Tuesday.

It seems that every diesel owner I have spoken to recently who has a brand new car is experiencing similar issues, even Qashqai owners are having problems. The problem I have is purely URBAN mpg - 32 in my daily drive is pants.

HOWEVER, on a regular journey to Fife on motorwayand major roads I can easily now get 55/56 MPG. I having been doingthat journeyregularly as I have a sick Mum. 80 miles per trip.

I rely heavily on my car to do the typical Glasgow stop/start daily and need my car to be efficient which it so clearly isnt in the URBAN drive.. it would appear though that the DPF is the main source of concern although no-one has ever really stated that categorically

I am making a point like you and am walking away but I daresay the owners who are keeping their Jukes are doing so simply because they have to financially, as not everyone can take a financial hit....when in a position like that they might be feeling - we're stuck with it - no point in moaning...

I dont know but I genuinely do sympathise and am really really sorry that I have had this experience with my JUKE as its a fabulous looking car and fun to drive...

Good luck with you - hope your new car meets your requirements and those of your bank manager!!!

All the best

Fee x

#4 ·
Hi Donald I am sorry you have chosen to part with your car like fee. Its sad when something you love has to be parted with because it doesnt live up to expectations. I am keeping mine for 2 reasons 1 Ilove it and nothing else comes close and 2 I dont do enough miles for it to be cost effective to change. I have been told onmany occasions I should have got the petrol but like fee I think the box is crap and it would have driven me insane. As for going quiet on the subject let me assure I am not done yet , I am plaaning my next assault and how I am too approach it, I believe Nissan are well aware of the mpg issue I would even go as far as to say that used fee and I a test case and manipulated the results to make us believe it was us not the car I cannot prove it but given information i have been told by others its only the Nissan test driver that seems to achieve the quoted figures
Anyway dont want to ramble on sorry you have parted with the car I hope you have found something you are now happy with and please keep a head in the forum and watch out for my next chapter

#5 ·
I feel sorry for the Juke owners who are changing brands because of poor economy.

However, I think its something you need to get used to with all brands nowadays - the Euro V standards and associated DPFs means that high economy diesels are a rare thing now. Look at Ford, VW, Fiat for the future - low pressure turbo charged PETROL engines are the way ahead Im afraid.

I also still stand by my thoughts aired previously - if you are getting rid of your Juke because of poor economy, you are making a mistake. The amount you will have lost in depreciation would take YEARS to re-coup in the hoped for (and most certainly not guaranteed) improved economy of an alternate brand.

Andy

#6 ·
andy I have to agree with you on all counts the way forward I too believe is the new breed of petrol engines, lets hope Nissan catches up soon with these, and yes the loss in depreciation is the main reason why I still have mine. Mind you Nissan did tempt me with a straight swap for a new petrol but I decide I would be the loser in the long run working on the theory I would have paid 16500 for a petrol car

#7 ·
deks36 said:
andy I have to agree with you on all counts the way forward I too believe is the new breed of petrol engines, lets hope Nissan catches up soon with these, and yes the loss in depreciation is the main reason why I still have mine. Mind you Nissan did tempt me with a straight swap for a new petrol but I decide I would be the loser in the long run working on the theory I would have paid 16500 for a petrol car
That's not a bad deal is that for a brand new petrol car?

I'm considering an LPG conversion at the minute but if we move house it won't be needed

#8 ·
gazjen said:
deks36 said:
That's not a bad deal is that for a brand new petrol car?

I'm considering an LPG conversion at the minute but if we move house it won't be needed
Thats an awful deal!!!

He paid a premium for diesel and then gets offerred a petrol??

Also, when trade in time does come around, the diesel will be worth £1.5K more!

Deks definitely did the right thing in staying with his oil burner!

Andy

#9 ·
With the reputation that the Juke diesel is getting I don't think it will be worth more than the petrol.
The culture with diesel cars is changing.
It costs a lot more than petrol now and the the returns on petrol cars is catching up.

#10 ·
@rocks I think you are probably right, in the past I have always purchased what I could afford only to have probs shifting when changing car so this time I thought I would do the right thing spec up and when I joined here I was quite shocked to see the number of petrols to diesels
I dont think the Juke Diesel will command that much more if anything in 3 years although there will be less of them than I thought so rare factor may help
the swing is definately back to petrols especially now makers are making much more fuel efficient models that are getting close to the mpg levels of diesels

#11 ·
@andy thanks for the vote of confidence its nice to see someone else agrees the deal offered to me wasnt as good as it may have seemed what you said is exactly what I thought and given my low mileage would have been a very costly excerise as would p/x ing it in this early.
I will be off loading it at 3 years old max and unless Nissan improve its petrol version and its customer service it wont be another Juke I buy

Mind you I have heard their is a new diesel in the offing that is considerably better of fuel not sure when its due or even if it will make it in to the Juke

Edited by: deks36

#12 ·
Agreed,
But the general public still has the mentality of high MPG from diesel engines.
Id doubt that the Jukes reputation for poor diesel mpg will be an issue. As I said earlier, most modern diesels are the same. The days of high MPGs from diesel are going because of DPFs.
I had a Toyota auris diesel before the Juke - never saw more than 40mpg in any conditions, despite the claimed combined figure of 47mpg.
As has been proven - Nissan could achieve the claimed MPG in a Juke. Only problem is that NOBODY drives at 56mph, with a constantly warm engine. In the real world, its all speed up/slow down, cold runs, traffic jams etc.

In my opinion, if youve got a less than new diesel WITHOUT a DPF, keep it!!!! That will be worth money in the future!!!
Look at VW - the older PumpDuse (however its spelt!!) engines could easily achieve 50 MPG all day long. My son had a Leon with one of these engines. On a run, he could get 60mpg without trying! Now look at the current Golfs with their euroV engines. Owners arent happy also - mpg is nothing like the older cars. Beleive me, this is not a phenomonen of the Juke - all current Euro V dieselsare suffering because of the power loss / fuel waste caused by DPFs.

andy

andy
Edited by: andytran

#13 ·
@andy yes I agree the mpg diesel issue isnt going to be unique to Nissan , whats really at fault is the system used to calculate mpg, omly time will tell on future values yes their will always be those that want a diesel their are still some advantages even if mpg isnt one of them

#14 ·
My last car was an alfa 147 1.9 multijet diesel ! Fabtastiv engine and very nippy but easily gave 50mpg - more on a long run ! As you say, those days are over for diesels ! One of the reasons I switched to petrol (+the price of diesel in relation to petrol) !

Agree about 5 speed box on 1.6 reason - test drove one !

#15 ·
What seems to be missing from this debate is the basic fact that in most cases buyers need to consider if they do enough miles to recover the additional outlay for the diesel version. Simple maths dictates that the additional mpg from the diesel will only equal the extra cost at purchase after ~50,000 miles for the combined cycle (see below) - if your plan is to drive the majority of the time in the city then how are you going to do enough miles, regardless of the actual consumption you're getting?

Would it not be better to but the petrol and invest the additional money, probably a saving in the long run..? If however, like me you chose the car for the performance and because I am a high mileage driver then that's a different story..

I would argue that Nissan "manipulated the results to make us believe it was us not the car" as I have done 17,500 miles and have checked and checked the mpg and can get anywhere between 46 and 57 mpg depending on how I drive it - However I do recognise that stop start driving would have an impact on mpg .

Regarding the 'reality' of the published figures, this isn't down to Nissan (or any other manufacturer) as the drive cycle is set by the regulation authority and honestly speaking I don’t think it reflects real word driving at all, but they all have to comply..

Maths and assumptions as follows....

From the published figures, the diesel combined mpg is 55.4 and the 1.6 petrol (non-turbo) is 44.8, a difference of 10.6 mpg

For sake of argument let's say that fuel cost for petrol and diesel is the same and are £1.40 / litre (£6.36 per gallon...
) so the diesel would cost ~11.5 pence per mile (£6.36/55.4) and the petrol ~14.2 pence per mile (£6.36/44.8) = a saving of 2.7 pence per mile

The difference in purchase cost between the 1.6 petrol and 1.5 diesel (both base models to remove the spec cost effect) is £1,350

Therefore, to recover £1,350 at a saving of ~2.8 pence per mile means that you need to cover ~50,000 miles (£1,350/£0.027) just to break even.. !

#16 ·
@ 5523 Juke

I agree with you. I was going for the diesel, but talking to my mechanic he assured me that I didn't need that type of engine since on my previous car I used to make around 6000km/ year. So i took his advice and bought the petrol.
Well if I'm doing my calculations right I would need 13years to cover the diesel

So I'm glad I went for the petrol

#17 ·
Some of what you say is right but as many people have done in the past you havent taken account that the diesel will still command a premium over petrol in p/x time that amount will vary and could be as much as initial extra outlay ( highly unlikely but I like to dream) or as little as 0 we will have to see, main argument is figures dont live upto the hype and the petrol has a sh*te gearbox as far as I am concerned, dont forget in the equation to add in cheaper road tax not that the difference is that great.
I will always remain happier in my low mileage diesel than I would have been in the petrol
I believe the power is delivered better, what I choose next time will depend on what I buy and what options are available at that time

#18 ·
The reason no-one mentioned the diesel/petrol mileage recovery is that its been mentionedlots oftimes already in previous posts! No need to go over old ground again!
Oh, and one thing that everyone seems to forget when they work out their "you will have to do xxxxx miles to recover the cost of buying diesel" is that the diesel will be worth more than the petrol come trade in time, so the figures you quote are meaningless.

I mean, model for model, the Juke diesel is roughly £1500 more than the petrol. Come trade in time, the diesel will achieve close to £1500 more than the petrol, so fuel recovery costs are meaningless, cause you get the extra money you paid for the car back at the end.

Andy

#20 ·
Oops....sorry Deks,

we were obviously typing at the same time!!!

I guarantee you will see a much better trade in on diesel than petrol. Show me ONE car where this isnt the case??? In the current market, diesel is in big demand - especially with soaring fuel prices.

Things may change in the future, but I think we are talking 5yrs plus.....

andy

#21 ·
I totally agree on p/x price I have had 3 previous petrol cars that had they been diesel would have been worth close to £1k more and easier to shift. I am ever hopeful that come sale time I will get close to my extra outlay back still what ever happens someone can say in 3 years told you so.
Still as mine is on a pcp I can jsut walk away so wont lose too much

#22 ·
It's good to see the debate still continues and although we can all get fixated on the petrol v diesel mpg longterm cost issue, I made my comments to highlight the main point - the advert;the sales talk;the tv ad and still the adverts in magazines/newspapers purport that this diesel will average in the 50-55 mpg range.This is impossible that is my point.

I was fortunate to offload to someone who hadn't done their homework.My concern here is about the continuing breach of advertising a product that does not and will not do what 'it says on the tin'.

I feel aggrieved because I did my homework - I always buy diesels - but this lovely looking/specced diesel was so so far off the mark with the mpg actual average figures that it had to go.
Remember you are just a Nissan unit of sale.No admissions were or are forthcoming.
I just raise my experience in the hope that others will get and read the diesel performance disclaimer.

Good luck to you all and thanks for a great and honest website.

#23 ·
Good points guys, and I hadn't spotted that it had been discussed already..

Just wanted to make the point that there are numerous reasons for purchase and potential new owners looking through here need to consider all the factors rather than just asuming that a diesel will ALWAYS be the best option for them if they can afford the premium...(assuming that they're not petrol heads..) -

As is very clear from decs, feefee and co. experience, in certain driving situations it would be the wrong choice but it does seem that they are in the minority (but not taking anything away from the troubles they've had..)

Personally I'm very happy with the diesel but do appreiated that not everyone feels this way..Edited by: 5523_Juke

#24 ·
Well I currently have a Diesel58 FIAT Bravo 1.9 Multijet 150bhp which gets an average of43MPG......so as long as the Juke does this or more I'm happy. Being a company car I do approx 30,000 a year, although I have a fuel card I don't want to have to fill up every couple of days at the pumps!!

#25 ·
I am just an ordinary motorist with no connection to the motor trade or vehicle manufacture. However, as I understand it, the way the motor industry is obliged to report fuel consumption is designed to allow motorists to make a comparison between car X & car Y by forcing the manufacturers of these cars to carry out the tests in exactly the same way under stringent laboratory conditions.
Making such a comparison may indicate that car X delivers 10% better fuel economy than car Y in the same circumstances but in no way should it be used as fact; in the real world, road conditions, congestion, driving style & even the weather all have an effect on fuel economy.
It will be interesting to see what happens with the resale value of diesel powered cars as the general public begin to realise that emissions controls are reducing economy vs petrol. Diesels are already more expensive to buy, generally cost more to service, and are becoming more complex & expensive to repair vs petrol engines.
Both my wife & I used to drive diesels, but switched to petrol in the last 12 months because of cost, reliability & reduced annual mileage.

Edited by: rochesb

#26 ·
rochesb said:
I am just an ordinary motorist with no connection to the motor trade or vehicle manufacture. However, as I understand it, the way the motor industry is obliged to report fuel consumption is designed to allow motorists to make a comparison between car X & car Y by forcing the manufacturers of these cars to carry out the tests in exactly the same way under stringent laboratory conditions.

Making such a comparison may indicate that car X delivers 10% better fuel economy than car Y in the same circumstances but in no way should it be used as fact; in the real world, road conditions, congestion, driving style & even the weather all have an effect on fuel economy.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the resale value of diesel powered cars as the general public begin to realise that emissions controls are reducing economy vs petrol. Diesels are already more expensive to buy, generally cost more to service, and are becoming more complex & expensive to repair vs petrol engines.

Both my wife & I used to drive diesels, but switched to petrol in the last 12 months because of cost, reliability & reduced annual mileage.
Well said mate -
Im of the same opinion. I went for petrol this time because I feel diesels are now far too complicated and troublesome.
I once bought a brand new Focus 2.0 TDCi in 2005. It broke down 12 times in a year. The problem was the EGR valve kept sticking open, thus sending an emissions error to the ECU. This then forced the car into limp home mode - which didnt work, the car used to just die.
The supplying dealer and Ford UK couldnt do anything about it, and didnt really care TBH.

My last car, an Auris diesel used to run like poo unless I cleaned out the EGR valve and blew through the DPF at least once every 2000 miles. The supposed "burn cycle" was a waste of time.

In summary, unless you buy a diesel and run it up and down the motorway all day, youve got a great chance of having problems in the future - they simply are not designed to run around town. If you are urban driving all day, get a petrol, simple as that!

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.