Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Nissan Juke (company car) was 22 months old with 9'000 miles when it suddenly broke down. It was towed to the local Nissan dealer and this was their diagnosis:

''The engine failure is due to oil loss , caused by the oil pressure relief valve sticking and thus the weakest point (oil filter seal) to blow and lose oil.
The fact that the car has not had its first service could have attributed to this due to the oil deterioration .
Replacing the engine and turbo unit is the recommended way forward, as we do not know what other damage has been caused to the engine internally.
This has been advised to us as the way forward by Nissan Technical Department.''

This is totally baffling as the car showed no evidence of running low on oil. I never notice a loss of oil from the car, the oil light never came on and on starting the engine 'oil good' would appear on my dash. However, in receipt of my car the garage has stated the oil light was on. I agree, it was on as it flashed on about 3 seconds before the car broke down… One could hardly miss the big red oil light! Should anything have flashed up at any time my husband would have looked at it or I would have reported it to my employer therefore, I have in no way been negligent.

Now the warranty will not repaired the car leaving an £8k bill for a new engine as they are saying the car ran out of oil? It seems that Nissan have been very quick diagnosed the issue and are looking at the oil light as a way of avoiding the warranty?

Has this happened to anyone else or do you have any advice?

·
Registered
59 Posts
my advice in future to check your oil and water level at least every month.If you had you would not have this problem.sorry to sound negative but basic checks should be done.Thats part of car ownership.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hi Victoria. The problem you have is that you have not followed the servicing schedule. Nissan can refuse any warrany claim because of this. You could try writing to Nissan (plead a bit dumb 'I thought servicing was at 18,000 miles') & hope for a goodwill gesture. Good luck.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The service interval is for an oil change every 18,000 miles or 12 months.

They are claiming that the oil has deteriorated due to age over 9000 miles and specifically 22 months. This is patently rubbish and they are taking you for an idiot by so claiming. However, if their condition for providing you with an extended warranty is that you get it serviced at a certain milage and 12 months, whichever comes first, then that is that I'm afraid.

They know what has happened and they know that it is not your fault but a fault with an engine component. They are just playing silly-buggers or, more properly, using the terms and conditions of the warranty so as not to honour it. You have given them that excuse.

Expect an offer at some time to cover half the bill as a 'goodwill gesture'. This is a load of bullshit that will still give Nissan and their dealer a good margin on your repair. Most people reluctantly take this offer as it appears as if it is generous. It is not. If they didn't use the excuse that you gave them by missing the annual service, they would have had to pay the whole bill. It would have still broken down, you can bet on that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Victoria,

This has just happened to my Nissan Juke, but it just over 3 years old and so only just out of warranty. Like you, there was no warning and I had recently had the car serviced and MOTd in May this year and so no warning lights were activated until about 30 seconds before the car just lost all power and stopped.
The garage has told me that this is the problem, the pressure relief valve stuck and so built up pressure and then blew. They are talking about a completely new engine which will cost thousands.
What happened with your situation in the end? Did Nissan help at all?

Thanks
Angela

·
Registered
1 Posts
K9K 1.5 dci Oil Pump PRV failure

Hi I'm adding this information to those of you who own the diesel version of the Juke. There is obviously an inherent problem with this engine which is the oil pressure relief valve. I has jack **** to do with"poor servicing" and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise.
The vehicle in question has been regularly over serviced if anything. Whilst being driven the engine stalled, oil light then came on. Lifted the bonnet to see all the engine oil over the front of the engine. With my mechanical knowledge i realised this wasn't a turbo problem. Had the vehicle recovered to the Nissan dealership.dealership. Visited this forum to discover several members had a similar issue.
I check the oil filter and behold the "O" ring was displaced by what I can only assume was due to excessive oil pressure. After parting with money the dealer who was paid to diagnose the fault told us the engine has extremely high oil pressure (100 psi) which blew their replacement filter and new oil. +£6000 for a replacement engine. Four years old 50,000 miles.
No help from Nissan. According to them Vehicle wasn't purchased second-hand from them and not service by them so "we are not Nissan customers" to quote.
I suspect an oil pressure relief valve in the pump has stuck closed because the oil pressure at idle should be approximately 27psi.

I'm going to remove the engine and fix it myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts