Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had a problem with their DCI not starting properly?

If i leave my car for any length of time (like overnight or during the day while I'm at work), it takes a good while for the engine to actually start, and I usually have to turn the key more than once.

Mine's been doing it on and off for a few months and every time i've had it at the dealer, they couldn't find a fault. I'm booking it back in sometime in the next few weeks and I plan to leave it there overnight so they can try starting it first thing in the morning. My R-reg Megane used to do a similar thing, but that was a problem with damp spark plugs.

I'm just interested to see if anyone else has had a similar problem with their Juke?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
mine is the same if i put the key in and turn straight away it takes an age to fire up
what I have found I need to do arks back to old diesels basically where I turn the key to ign on wait a few seconds(pre heat) and its fine
hope this helps
really infuriating in a modern diesel that you have to pre heat but hey ho

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Deks! I'll try that andlet you knowhow I get on!

·
Registered
171 Posts
It stated in one of the manuals i read to leave it 30sec after switching on before starting the engine. Something about allowing the computers to boot and such babble.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Yeah - I was told in no uncertain terms always to use the pre-heat before switching on the ignition. I had absolutely no problems even in the snow and -17 up here!!!

Fee x

·
Registered
144 Posts
My dealer told me this when I tried to start it as I got in to drive away! You just need to wait for the coil light to go out then turn the ignition and it will start straight away - don't wait too long after the light goes out though or you'll need to do it again.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey, that's nothing compared to my problems with the Intelli-Key. Twice now it has failed to work. Yesterday I even called a taxi to take me home to get the spare key but then it just....started. But that key has now failed completely even with a new battery in it.

The dealer was no help when I 'phoned in distress. "Put the key in." Weirdly there is a key concealed in the unit but no place in the car to insert it....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, i tried it when I left work last night and again this morning. No problems.

Thanks for all your help! Can you tell this is my first diesel?! :p

I feel like a bit of a tool now though. Every day's a school day!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
caplyn_bass said:
Well, i tried it when I left work last night and again this morning. No problems.

Thanks for all your help! Can you tell this is my first diesel?! :p

I feel like a bit of a tool now though. Every day's a school day!
Dont feel bad, my 206 hdi doesnt require me to wait for pre heat get in turn key and away
I was quite surprised that I needed to pre heat the Juke before firing her up, as most modern diesels now dont require a pre heat so in my opinion this is a little behind the times, but once you get used to it is fine although I am still forgetting as its my wifes car and I use it rarely and as I say am used to my 206 which has no such requirement

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
deks36 said:
Dont feel bad, my 206 hdi doesnt require me to wait for pre heat get in turn key and away
I was quite surprised that I needed to pre heat the Juke before firing her up, as most modern diesels now dont require a pre heat so in my opinion this is a little behind the times, but once you get used to it is fine although I am still forgetting as its my wifes car and I use it rarely and as I say am used to my 206 which has no such requirement
I'm glad it's not just me then! Seriously though, thanks Deks. It's been driving me nuts, and it's no wonder the dealer couldn't find a fault with it! I was getting sick of having to wait until there was no-one around before i "attempted" to start the engine, as I've had a few people looking at the car and then laughing when it won't start!

·
Registered
484 Posts
jayannlay said:
Hey, that's nothing compared to my problems with the Intelli-Key. Twice now it has failed to work. Yesterday I even called a taxi to take me home to get the spare key but then it just....started. But that key has now failed completely even with a new battery in it.

The dealer was no help when I 'phoned in distress. "Put the key in." Weirdly there is a key concealed in the unit but no place in the car to insert it....

The key is for unlocking the car then trythe procedure below to start - taken from the owners manual.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

INTELLIGENT KEY BATTERY DISCHARGE

If the battery of the Intelligent Key is discharged,
or environmental conditions interfere with the
Intelligent Key operation, start the engine
according to the following procedure:
1. Move the selector lever to the P (Park)
position (for automatic transmission models)
or the shift lever to the N (Neutral) position
(for manual transmission models).
2. Firmly apply the foot brake.
3. Touch the ignition switch with the Intelligent
Key as illustrated. (A chime will sound.)
4. Push the ignition switch while depressing
the brake pedal within 10 seconds after the
chime sounds. The engine will start.
After step 3 is performed, when the ignition
switch is pushed without depressing the brake
pedal, the ignition switch position will change to
ACC.

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">NOTE:[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">When the ignition switch is pushed to[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">the ACC or ON position or the engine is[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">started by the above procedures, the[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Intelligent Key system warning light[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">may blink in yellow even if the Intelligent[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Key is inside the vehicle. This is[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">not a malfunction. To stop the warning[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">light from blinking, touch the ignition[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">switch with the Intelligent Key again.[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">If the Intelligent Key system warning[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">light in the meter is blinking in green,[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">replace the battery as soon as possible.[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]

·
Registered
144 Posts
Similar to Deks I had a diesel previously and it was a Pug too, it didn't require the pre-heat so I was a bit surprised when the dealer told me I needed to pre-heat the Juke!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I know people who have problems with keyless entry cars when parked on the top level car park at the Trafford centre and it was something to do with the centre communications tower blocking the signal to the car. When towed out if range it worked.
Kx

·
Registered
219 Posts
This conversation sounds like the Lady story who complained her car was running rich and had poor fuel consumption. Garage checked it out several times no problem. Frustrated the Manager saw her off after another fruitless check by the mechanics. She got in pulled out the choke (remember those) put her handbag on it and drove off!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got two 1.5 dci's for my wife and myself on March 1st
It takes 3 attempts to get them started !!
Service manager at the dealer said this was normal !!
Needless to say I put him right as I had traded in a dci two days earlier
and it started on the button every time. The heater light on my earlier car used to stay on for about a second, then just turn the key and it started. With these two cars the light flashes only for a slit second.
Obviously the heater plugs are not staying on long enough.
Ongoing story, has been reffered to Nissan

·
Registered
446 Posts
I know people who have problems with keyless entry cars when parked on the top level car park at the Trafford centre and it was something to do with the centre communications tower blocking the signal to the car. When towed out if range it worked.
Kx
Just seen this - I had this problem a few years ago with a motorbike with a datatool alarm/immobiliser (there was no override over the remote fob) - wouldn't disarm when I parked it up in a road in central London - got it recovered, and as soon as we got it inside the van and closed the doors, I was able to disarm - the van provided enough shielding to allow it to work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts