Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since day one I've been having a bit of a problem doing a smooth change from 1st to 2ndgear. It's sometimes so bad that it's as though I haven't declutched at all. My OH has only been in the car a few times with me because he can't bear the smell of the supaguard (whole 'nother story) but on each occassion he's been mocking my driving and saying he should have bought me an automatic. I've been excusing it with the comment that it's a brand new car that needs to settle itself and (privately) I've wondered whether it IS my driving because I've changed to the Juke from a sporty convertible that was so happy to take off from standstill in any gear that I rarely dropped lower than third in it.

Anyway, I drove over a bit of metal swarf yesterday and wasn't sure whether it would damage the tyre so I went to work in my other car and asked the OH to take Daisy to get the tyre checked over.
He's just rung to say the tyre is fine (phew!) and BTW that he's never driven a car with worse Clutch judder in his life. Apparently the chap at the tyre repair place agreed and said he thought the clutch was 'about to go' which is pretty poor considering Daisy is only 6 weeks old.

I was too busy whining 'I TOLD you it wasn't me being a bad driver!' to ask him any more techinical-type questions but I'm sure I remember reading something about someone (vague or what?) having a similar problem and being told it was a 'bedding-in' issue but I can't find the thread on here so I was just wondering whether anyone has any wisdom to share before I speak to the dealers.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Is this the 5 speed or 6?
My 6 speed seems a little crunchy from 1st to 2nd as well
and I too am putting it down to both Me getting used to a new cluch and gear change and that it needs to "wear in" a little bit.
Just short of 4 weeks and about 800 miles so far :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update already...

The OH has just called me because he's apparently driven straight to the dealers with it (bless him!)

Daisy is currently being looked at but I just feel the need to share the little gems that have already been provided by the dealer...

(1) the problems changing gear are down to the gear box design. That's the way it is. That's the way it could still be when it's done 50k. It's all down to the chain. Tough!
(2) If it's the clutch that's gone it's due to 'driver error'. Nissan won't pay for it under warranty. Even though it's only done 1700 miles. In fact they had the same problem with another juke recently that had only done 600 miles and Nissan wouldn't pay for that one either.

Still waiting for a verdict (they are currently still inspecting it) but I'm already developing a warm fuzzy feeling about Nissan customer care....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 5-speed, not a six but it sounds like the same symptoms, Mega-byte and I also assumed it was an issue of it being new but now the dealer is telling me it's the gearbox and, effectively, to live with it.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
MC their is a known issue with the clutch/brake on the Juke the dealer is in fob off mode IMO
take it elsewhere and definately start talking to NCS directly
its under warranty they have a duty to fix it if they can prove when the clutch has been removed its driver error then maybe they have a case but I doubt it
Don NOT get fobbed of by a poor dealer
remember Nissan pay them for warranty work so take it elsewhere

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
also would like to add that at least 2 members have had serious gearbox issues with the 5 speed resulting in a gearbox change so it isnt necessarily the way it should be it may well be faulty
and the first one that went wrong had less than 300 miles on it

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Good info Deks.
Can i ask what the known issue is with the breaks?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Deks - that's really good to know.

Funnily enough this is the dealer who denied there was a paint issue, tried to tell me I was imagining the flaw and finally offered to 'touch-it-up' in house because they doubted Nissan would authorise any repair.

I ended up taking the paint issue to the Coventry dealership and the guys there were lovely and honest and couldn't have been more helpful so I think the wisest thing might be to take Daisy to them instead.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was the replacement gearbox after 3 weeks! Stand your ground and good luck. There is definately something amiss in there.Communication with the dealers is zero and you will have to keep chasing them.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
meaga-byte said:
Good info Deks.

Can i ask what the known issue is with the breaks?
servo leak issues I believe a couple of people had problems and had to have master cylinder replaced I believe. I am working on the assumption of course that both clutch and brakes use same master cylinder reservoir
Edited by: deks36

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm possibly about to out myself as a dumb blonde but when is a leak a bad leak?

By which I mean I have returned to my car twice in the last couple of days and seen a big puddle under the car from the engine on the passenger side. Both times I've seen the actual drips proving it is coming from Daisy but when I've rolled her backwards and touched the puddle it seems to be water (ie clear and not oily). I asked the OH and he said it was probably where the air/con outlet was located. He also suggested I checked the water level - to which my reply was 'must be okay because there aren't any warning lights'. Alternative answer would have begun 'I don't even know how to open the bonnet let alone check the water...'

·
Registered
9 Posts
If a car is brand new, the company, i.e Nissan have a duty of care selling you a perfect working order car.A clutch is supposed to last a long time not 6 weeks, not a few months. Fair wear and tear can not be described by the time you have had the car. Go in guns blazing demanding it get sorted under warranty or trading standards will be involved.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
MC the puddle under the car is indeed condensaion from the A/C a few people have been scared by this but its not a porblem
as for leaks any leak is a bad leak but you dont have one its just the A/C

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks deks, the feeling of relief I am now feeling FAR exceeds my embarrassment in having to ask the question in the first place

·
Registered
377 Posts
Which gararge is Daisy at? My Daisys in the garage today too, wouldnt that be funny if they were next to each other!
Hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have just bought a juke diesel with 6 gears, 7 months old with 3k on the lock. driving in traffic, unable to get it out of gear and when i did wouldn't go back in again. eventually managed to get it into 2nd and drove a short distance before same happened again. pulled over, turned everything off and turned it back on, found clutch pedal stuck down to floor, had to push it from the passenger side of the pedal for it to come back up. seemed to drive ok. similar thing happened whilst OH driving but only the once. took it to dealer, very helpful but couldn't identify the fault. now have concern and lack of confidence in driving it as concerned it could happen on motor way.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
i have just bought a juke diesel with 6 gears, 7 months old with 3k on the lock. driving in traffic, unable to get it out of gear and when i did wouldn't go back in again. eventually managed to get it into 2nd and drove a short distance before same happened again. pulled over, turned everything off and turned it back on, found clutch pedal stuck down to floor, had to push it from the passenger side of the pedal for it to come back up. seemed to drive ok. similar thing happened whilst OH driving but only the once. took it to dealer, very helpful but couldn't identify the fault. now have concern and lack of confidence in driving it as concerned it could happen on motor way.
There is a technical bulletin for this concern (pedal sticking down). Ask your dealer to replace your clutch master cylinder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts