Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
2011 1.5dci
Does anyone know what this engine/alternator should charge at?
I read all sorts about the variable charge system that the car might have..
Currently charging at around 12.8V which for me seems low.
Flat battery a few days ago, replaced with new, but feel the battery wasn’t really at fault..
Any info appreciated !!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi
2011 1.5dci
Does anyone know what this engine/alternator should charge at?
I read all sorts about the variable charge system that the car might have..
Currently charging at around 12.8V which for me seems low.
Flat battery a few days ago, replaced with new, but feel the battery wasn’t really at fault..
Any info appreciated !!
Hi there.... my 65 plate 1.5dci is charging at 13.48v with the lights on full beam,rear window heater,fog lights ect on .....it sits at 12.37v with the engine off .
At cranking it dips to low 10v then within about 5 seconds of starting it leaps to low 14's for about 20 seconds,then sits around 12.85v
It has a new S/S battery .... still has its days when for some unknown reason its as flat as a witches t...pancake

Ive been trying to trace a P0201,0202,0203,0204 injector fault code and have found out that this can be caused by an aftermarket alternator sending the wrong signal back to the ecm and battery conditioner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fixed the issue…

fitted a new alternator…. Not cheap…
Did not fix the problem, still not charging..
So used a jump lead to earth the engine block to the body… 14.6V across the battery..

tried to find the engine earth strap, couldn’t, so fitted a new strap from the block to the body..
Seemed to do the trick

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fixed the issue…

fitted a new alternator…. Not cheap…
Did not fix the problem, still not charging..
So used a jump lead to earth the engine block to the body… 14.6V across the battery..

tried to find the engine earth strap, couldn’t, so fitted a new strap from the block to the body..
Seemed to do the trick
Hey Pal, I seem to be having the same sort of issue ( see my issue below):

"I have a (new to me of a year) 1.5 diesel 2012 Nissan Juke.

I noticed the car was.making quite a horrendous whining noise from under the bonnet from the auxiliary area. I checked my voltage with the car on idle an was getting about 13.89v. If I then added on main beams and fog lights it was going to about 13.78v - 13.84v. When I then further put on my AC the noise would get much worse and noticed the voltage drop quite sufficiently to 12.07v - 12.09v. The car has a red check engine and I had it scanned and it is showing the following fault codes. I am leaning towards alternator but wanted to see if there is anything I can check with a juke to be sure?

Thanks in advance."

Electrics are not my strongest point on cars. You said you used a jump lead to earth the cable from the block to the body, do you mean a literal jump cable as you would use to jump start a car and was this used simply to test for a good ground?

You mentioned about adding a new earth strap, where exactly did you connect the earth strap to and.from?

Thank you any help appreciated

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Pal, I seem to be having the same sort of issue ( see my issue below):

"I have a (new to me of a year) 1.5 diesel 2012 Nissan Juke.

I noticed the car was.making quite a horrendous whining noise from under the bonnet from the auxiliary area. I checked my voltage with the car on idle an was getting about 13.89v. If I then added on main beams and fog lights it was going to about 13.78v - 13.84v. When I then further put on my AC the noise would get much worse and noticed the voltage drop quite sufficiently to 12.07v - 12.09v. The car has a red check engine and I had it scanned and it is showing the following fault codes. I am leaning towards alternator but wanted to see if there is anything I can check with a juke to be sure?

Thanks in advance."

Electrics are not my strongest point on cars. You said you used a jump lead to earth the cable from the block to the body, do you mean a literal jump cable as you would use to jump start a car and was this used simply to test for a good ground?

You mentioned about adding a new earth strap, where exactly did you connect the earth strap to and.from?

Thank you any help appreciated

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
Hi

yes, used the jump lead to ground the engine to the body..
Bought an aftermarket earth strap, fastened to top left of the engine, around the top engine mounting area to the body. There are a few already threaded holes just above the headlight, in the slam panel area. I just removed the paint in this area for a good earth.

I also did fit a new Lucas alternator, although I am not totally sure this was at fault..

cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you for getting back to me really do appreciate it. So i can just understand your thinking, correct me if i am wrong in why you did what you to your vehicle. So i am reading it as:

1) You car was getting 12.8v at idle and your mind thought, its not charging as it should be around 14.2v.
2) Changed alternator to aftermarket Lucas, but still getting 12.8v charging.
3) You then used a jumper cable as a make shift test and connected it from the engine to the chassis / body to simulate the alternator being grounded from the engine to body. In doing so you checked the voltage at the battery and of 14.2v.
3) You saw that there was no earthing strap, so fitted an after market one (i would appreciate if you could put a link to the one used) to act in the same way as the jumper cable test from step 3 and it is all running right today?

Thanks again

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for getting back to me really do appreciate it. So i can just understand your thinking, correct me if i am wrong in why you did what you to your vehicle. So i am reading it as:

1) You car was getting 12.8v at idle and your mind thought, its not charging as it should be around 14.2v.
2) Changed alternator to aftermarket Lucas, but still getting 12.8v charging.
3) You then used a jumper cable as a make shift test and connected it from the engine to the chassis / body to simulate the alternator being grounded from the engine to body. In doing so you checked the voltage at the battery and of 14.2v.
3) You saw that there was no earthing strap, so fitted an after market one (i would appreciate if you could put a link to the one used) to act in the same way as the jumper cable test from step 3 and it is all running right today?

Thanks again
Hi
Yes, exactly that.
Car not charging the battery at all, hence just over 12v across the battery.
Couldn’t find the location of the factory fit earth strap, so tested as you say, then fitted a new earth strap..
Now starting and running well, no issues at all..
Picture of the strap fitment hopefully added
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Light Car

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to share this. ive been doing a fair bit of reading and whilst your modification seems to be the way forward if you have your issue. It seems that the jukes can require a "smart" alternator compared to regular aftermarket ones. It seems that regulars ones do not recognise / match the needs of the charging system. So possibly if an oem one was used it may have worked, but it seems the "smart" feature in them isnt great and cause issues, so your mod seems best way forward, if in fact that was the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for taking the time to share this. ive been doing a fair bit of reading and whilst your modification seems to be the way forward if you have your issue. It seems that the jukes can require a "smart" alternator compared to regular aftermarket ones. It seems that regulars ones do not recognise / match the needs of the charging system. So possibly if an oem one was used it may have worked, but it seems the "smart" feature in them isnt great and cause issues, so your mod seems best way forward, if in fact that was the issue.
Yeah, read up on the smart system..
In my case the alternator simply wasn’t earthed, so was never going to charge..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts