Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my automatic, 4-wheel drive Juke brand new in December and have had problems with it from the start. It keeps refusing to start - my foot is on the brake and the car is in park. Windows operate and the radio works but the car won't start. It took 8 pushes of the stop/start button before it started today. Normally, I have to push it 3-5 times if it won't go the first time. My key is in my pocket so that's not the issue.
The dealers can't help without seeing the fault themselves. They finally agreed to replace the starter motor but the same fault happened the following day so that didn't help. It's going back in - for the 5th time - on Monday but it would help to give them some ideas as they haven't heard of this fault and don't know what it could be.
Has anyone had the same issue - and, if so, how did you correct it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, tried that before and it didn't work, unfortunately - so disappointed to have such a major fault with a new, costly car. My wife won't use it when she goes out at night in case she gets stranded if it won't start at all. The record is about 20 attempts to start it. Not impressed at all.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Is it location based I.e. it won't start in one location but will in another? What if you take the key out of your pocket and hold it over the stop/start button? Do you use both keys or only one, if only one have you tried using the other one?

I do have some sympathy with the dealer in that it's the sort of intermittent fault which can be very difficult to fix but after five visits they really should be pulling all the stops out to fix it, have you tried contacting Nissan customer services directly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's booked in again so, hopefully, they'll be able to do something. The brake didn't go down fully this morning so I'm wondering if that might be an issue. If they can't fix it this time, I'll go to Nissan Customer Services - although they ring after each visit to the dealer and haven't reacted so far when I've complained about how we keep having to go back for the same fault on a new car.
I've had the key in each pocket - have only tried one key but I will see if using the other makes a difference.Good point.Will also try to hold it over the stop/start button but their whole selling point is that you can leave the key in your pocket and your car will start. Great in theory!
Location - it's not fussy. It sometimes works outside the house, sometimes won't. No difference whether we've parked on a hill or flat area; for a few minutes or several hours. It's so frustrating and it's made me change my plans so I don't have to use the car as much.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ok so if it's a problem in various areas it's not environmental, definitely try the other key and I completely agree with you that you shouldn't have to hold the key near the stop/start button but it's another piece of evidence if it works at very close range but not a few feet away.

I would have hoped the dealer would have been asking you all this already, if there aren't any obvious fault codes etc showing then these are the sort of diagnostic checks that I think it will be very hard to solve the problem without going through.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you - and I also wondered why the dealer hadn't asked me any of that after I read your post!
They replaced the starter motor on our 4th visit after I asked for it as that was the obvious fault for me based on previous cars. They couldn't believe how difficult it was to access it - sounds like the front of the car, including the lights, had to be dismantled to find it. Had hoped that would have resolved it but it's got worse, if anything.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi,This is a copy from the workshop manual,as youwill see it has a number ofelectrical units, anyofthese could be causing a hit and miss problem. I think the problem may be anelecrical failure in a transmitting unit or a relay. Press the ignition switch without the brake pedal, until the dash lights are on, then press the brake pedal and see if you can hear a clicking sound from under the gear selector, this shoud click every time you press the brake, if not this could show a brakedown in the system. Hope this helps.
CVT MODELS</font></font>• When selector lever is P or N, power is supplied to starter relay and starter control relay by transmission
range switch. And BCM and IPDM E/R (CPU) detect selector lever P/N condition by the inputted signal.
• When starter operating condition is satisfied, IPDM E/R turns starter control relay ON by starter control relay
control signal.
• When engine cranking condition is satisfied, BCM turns starter relay ON by starter control relay control signal.

• Then battery power is supplied to starter motor (“S” terminal) through starter control relay and starter relay.</font></font>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's brilliant, thank you! I'll swap keys and try that. Hopefully, that will do the trick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi I had the same problem with keyless entry on a pathfinder. It was only when I noticed the brake lights werent coming on when I pressed the pedal that I jiggled the wiring above the brake pedal and the lights worked again and the car started! Stopped working again so I booked it into the dealer but he couldnt replicate the fault until I came to try and drive away when it did it again. He believed me after I jiggled the wiring again and he replaced a faulty brake switch. Might not be the same but worth a look for the price of a brake switch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is my second car with the keyless entry system and the Nissan is a lot slower to respond to the engine starting when the stop/start button is depressed.
Car one example- car starts within one second
Nissan - can take up to 3-4 seconds for engine to start, thus when my wife drives it she did complain about the car not starting until I told here to give it time.
This is my experience of the keyless entry and is in no way of a criticism to any other member but just my experience and advice on this system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a nismo with the same keyless entry. I have had no issues touch wood yet! I asked the mechanic at my local dealer after reading this feed and he had come across it once before on another Nissan. It turned out to be the switch on the back of the brake pedal not connecting so releasing the starter button? Hope this makes sense and helps? Regards and good luck Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Frustrated

Yes, I've just bought my Juke & have had the same frustrating problems. Left me panicked as appts to keep. Phoned the dealer & went thro same procedure yet this time it started! Need to understand what's happening! Help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ladies and gents, here's what fixed it for me. Same problem as described above, intermittent starting. I'll spare you my troubleshooting and get to the point. The brake pedal has 2 compression switches (one orange and one white). When the brake pedal is depressed (as in the starting procedure) the 2 switches make electrical connections both for the brake lights and signal the computer (I'd like to start the car if its not already running). I felt the 2 switches were not engaging (making connection) correctly due to dust and dirt over a long period of time (2012 Juke). So I sprayed WD40 on the end (not the wire part but the end that rests against the brake pad) of the 2 switches, pumped the brakes, sprayed again. Then I tried to duplicate the problem again and cannot. So in summary the switches are/may be dragging (not extending fully) and not making the electrical connections. I started the car over 20 times, where 5 minutes before I could duplicate the intermittent starting. I also noticed in the side mirror, the pedal needs to be depressed enough to light the brake lights (which is controlled by one of these 2 switches) .... and BTW the pedal needs to be pushed first, brake lights come on, then hit the start button. Anyway, I hope this works for you as it has for me.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need to consider this

The keyless Nissan Juke needs to be able to "see" the key at all times. If the battery power is getting low, there may be sufficient power to unlock it but not sufficient for the car to identify the key. Always change the battery before trying anything else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my automatic, 4-wheel drive Juke brand new in December and have had problems with it from the start. It keeps refusing to start - my foot is on the brake and the car is in park. Windows operate and the radio works but the car won't start. It took 8 pushes of the stop/start button before it started today. Normally, I have to push it 3-5 times if it won't go the first time. My key is in my pocket so that's not the issue.
The dealers can't help without seeing the fault themselves. They finally agreed to replace the starter motor but the same fault happened the following day so that didn't help. It's going back in - for the 5th time - on Monday but it would help to give them some ideas as they haven't heard of this fault and don't know what it could be.
Has anyone had the same issue - and, if so, how did you correct it?
snap, but when my husband gets in and has a go it works for him first time !! it really frustrates me

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my new Auto 1.6 petrol 2 wheel drive Juke Tekna a year ago. It's keyless entry with a start button. On several occasions it has failed to start immediately and even in warm weather it takes 6 or 7 pushes of the button to get the engine to fire. Is this a recognised fault?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Nissan Juke and it is in the shop now for the same reason. SO FRUSTRATING. They are looking at me like I'm crazy. I explained to them that its not all the time, but that it is frequent enough that I am been stranded places. It is NOT the battery. All sensor lights, interior lights and lights come on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree I have a 2 1/2 year old Juke, it started occasionally not wanting to start, unlocking the Car fine, but the push button wouldn't. You could go through the process 4 - 6 times, locking then trying again and eventually you get lucky. Had RAC out twice and they could not find a fault. Was booked in to Nissan and was about to be towed away next day when I found this blog, I got another couple of new CR2025 batteries, eventually managed to get into the Key to replace the Batteries and since then the car has started first time every time! I just wish Nissan and or RAC knew this and could tell you over the phone to try it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also faced similar issue this week & I replaced the remote keyfob's CR2025 battery with new one & then my Juke ignition started working properly.
One time in the past, I had not properly put the car in Parking gear so it refused to start. So this time I tried to make sure first, that it was not the case. In future, if the problem repeats, I'll follow this sequence : Check if the gear-stick is properly in Parking mode, Check if the battery of remote-keyfob is weak & need to be replaced, Check if the Car battery is weak n need replacement, Check if any issue with Brake Paddle mechanism, Check if Gear-shifting mechanism (to park), Check if issue with the ignition switch, starter issues, Sparkplug issues etc etc. Only first couple of them can be done by ourselves n others letft to dealers.... I hope dealers should have similar steps guide to properly diagnose & fix the issue than randomly starting replacing parts without proper root-cause analysis...
Good luck & Thanks!...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts