Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick up my Juke on Wednesday and it has been Supagarded (If thats even a word?).
What would be the best thing to do to keep the car sealed and should i add anything on top of the Supagard to try to keep stone chips etc to a minimum?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
search supaguard on the forum you will find quite a few threads on it hope you didnt pay for the treatment

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paid £99 for it.
I know you can pick the stuff up to do it for under £30 on ebay but i'm happy having it done to the car or me.
I willof coursebe going over the paint work with a fine tooth comb before i pick it up.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
it has to be said I dont like the price the dealers charge for the stuff especially as most use an idiot to apply it but at £99 I would have considered it myself to save me a days work doing it

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There is no detailing product that can keep stone chips to a minimum other than the 3M plastic film which looks naff (IMO)
I recommend you buy yourself a decent wax/sealant and have a look at the car cleaning guide inhttp://www.jukeownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2338
That £99 would of got your some very nice detailing products.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Rocks
Had a look at that earlier.
As far as i can make out the Juke's paint is pretty soft/thin. Is there anything out there that would harden it up to make it lesssusceptible to chipping/scuffing?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
deks36 said:
it has to be said I dont like the price the dealers charge for the stuff especially as most use an idiot to apply it but at £99 I would have considered it myself to save me a days work doing it
The first thing i'll be doing when i get it is getting the hose out and giving her a spray.
IFthere'sno beading i'll be straight back to the dealers. I'm actually expecting them to not put it on for some reason.
Must be my mistrust of dealers coming through again!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The Jukester said:
Cheers Rocks
Had a look at that earlier.
As far as i can make out the Juke's paint is pretty soft/thin. Is there anything out there that would harden it up to make it lesssusceptible to chipping/scuffing?
Japanese paint is soft. Nothing with harden it up unfortunetly. Just keep it well protected with a sealant or wax, check out jetseal 109 or Black light from chemical guys.. On the positive side, soft scratches to buff up easier

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ok, Ive held back as you know my thoughts on this!!!!

Rocks is absolutely bang on. - £100 is better spent on quality detailing products. There is nothing you can do to "harden up" soft paint. Jap cars are notorious for soft paint, but as Rocks mentioned, its pretty easy to machine polish scratches out.

I wouldnt bother with the comment about spraying the car with a hose. Any new car will bead well when new, without any wax on the bonnet. This is simply because the lacquer is still clean an doesnt have any microscopic "pitting" on it. The pitting is what stops the beading over time, as it allows the water to cling to the paintwork. when you wax the car, the wax fills the microscopic pitting holes in the lacquer and stops the water from clinging on. However, once you wash it again, you start to wash the wax away and the water clings on again.

The whole issue is to buy a high quality wax which will repel water from both rain,road and washing. The better it repels, the longer the beading will occur.

Hope this makes sense,

Oh, and one other thing - I would totally recommend to all that they put front mudflaps on their Jukes. Mine suffered pretty bad "nappy rash" on the lower part of the front doors, caused by gravel spraying up from the front wheels. I dont drive my car hard or on bad roads, but this still happened in normal daily use. I noticed it when polishing it - pretty bad for a car which had done 2500 miles at the time. The lacquer wasnt broken, just scuffed by gravel spray. Looked bad when wax got into the scuffs. Although the front mudflaps arent very big, they will certainly help prevent this issue.

Andy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
andytran said:
Ok, Ive held back as you know my thoughts on this!!!!

Rocks is absolutely bang on. - £100 is better spent on quality detailing products. There is nothing you can do to "harden up" soft paint. Jap cars are notorious for soft paint, but as Rocks mentioned, its pretty easy to machine polish scratches out.

I wouldnt bother with the comment about spraying the car with a hose. Any new car will bead well when new, without any wax on the bonnet. This is simply because the lacquer is still clean an doesnt have any microscopic "pitting" on it. The pitting is what stops the beading over time, as it allows the water to cling to the paintwork. when you wax the car, the wax fills the microscopic pitting holes in the lacquer and stops the water from clinging on. However, once you wash it again, you start to wash the wax away and the water clings on again.

The whole issue is to buy a high quality wax which will repel water from both rain,road and washing. The better it repels, the longer the beading will occur.

Hope this makes sense,

Oh, and one other thing - I would totally recommend to all that they put front mudflaps on their Jukes. Mine suffered pretty bad "nappy rash" on the lower part of the front doors, caused by gravel spraying up from the front wheels. I dont drive my car hard or on bad roads, but this still happened in normal daily use. I noticed it when polishing it - pretty bad for a car which had done 2500 miles at the time. The lacquer wasnt broken, just scuffed by gravel spray. Looked bad when wax got into the scuffs. Although the front mudflaps arent very big, they will certainly help prevent this issue.

Andy
Thanks for the advice Andy. Think i'll go for the front mud flaps and save myself some hassle!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had a car treated with Supagard when I bought it new 11 years ago. Believe it or not I never polished the car throughout its long life with me. It still looked good when I sold it. As for the paint the general problem nowadays, as far as I am aware, is that modern paint is now water based, (environmentally friendly and all that), it's just something we have to live with and is not exclusive to Nissan.

Zeeeee

1 - 16 of 16 Posts