Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else got noisy brakes?
It doesn't happen every time but can still be frequent. at first i thought was the cars saround me, but no figured its me!

6 months old now with 7500 on the clock.......is this normal?

Tor

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have squealing brakes...took it back to dealer and have been told the brakes are fine and this is normal because of the materials used now.
Nissan has totally removed asbestos from its brake products and as a substitute have adopted semi metallic brake linings which can generate certain noises due to metal to metal contact.
(Quoted from a customer service information bulletin i was given re brake noise. )

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Im sorry but my last car had the same problem. really noisey breaks and when taking back to vouxhall they also said the breaks were fine.
Noisey breaks actually make driving the car less enjoyable. I replaced the car because that grinding squeeling noise drove me insane. As far as people should be concerned, if the car is doing something that it really shouldnt be and making your daily drive uncomftable then the dealer should fix it. If "this is normal" why do we not hear every 2010-2011 car making the same noises?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
All brake material now is manufactured without the use of asbestos, its true that this does lead to more squealing, but as mb says this doesnot affect all cars and mine does not suffer from it so I would not put up with it from any car there are ways to cure it and the dealer should be looking at it as far as I am concerned

·
Registered
231 Posts
Our brakes are a little squealy, noticed it in past weeks as windows down due to weather. Was going to live with it till service time but it will drive me mad should it get any worse.

Re - Quote 'Nissan has totally removed asbestos from its brake products and as a
substitute have adopted semi metallic brake linings which can generate
certain noises due to metal to metal contact.'
Surely the land would be full of thousands of new cars from all marques making an unacceptable noise should this be true??
</font>
</font>

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have just pulled this off the Nissan manual. Although it is the USA manual.

BRAKE PAD WEAR WARNING
The disc brake pads have audible wear warnings.
When a brake pad requires replacement, it
will make a high pitched scraping sound when
the vehicle is in motion. This scraping sound will
first occur only when the brake pedal is
depressed. After more wear of the brake pad,
the sound will always be heard even if the brake
pedal is not depressed. Have the brakes
checked as soon as possible if the wear warning
sound is heard.
Under some driving or climate conditions,
occasional brake squeak, squeal or other noise
may be heard. Occasional brake noise during
light to moderate stops is normal and does not
affect the function or performance of the brake
system.

·
Registered
309 Posts
yeah sounds about right...my old Suzuki had noisy breaks after a couple of years...nothing yet on the Juke tho

·
Registered
540 Posts
Unless you have a very heavy (or light) foot on the brake pedal, you should have no noise.
All cars in this country (if I remember correctly) have not had asbestos in the brake pad material since the eighties. So don't know why anyone bothered talking about the substitute materials used now. I would say the vast majority of brake pad material is the same regardless of what car you drive (ceramic brakes excluded) so squeaking can be caused by a couple of things;
If you have new pads fitted (eg; when you have a new car or after replacement) then having too light a foot on the brake pedal therefore braking over a longer distance before stopping but, braking very gently, can lead to a glazing of the brake pad surface causing the surface to be harder and squeal. The way to sort this out has been to have the pads removed and roughened up and driven 'normally' again.
On the other hand, braking too hard when the brake pads are new can have the same effect. As far as I have been told by the 'fitters' of brake pads, you should drive your car normally without undue force on the brakes for a couple of hundred miles to allow the brakes to 'bed-in'. I have always done this with whatever car I have had and every time I have brake pads replaced and have never had squealing brakes other than at times when the brake wear indicator has sounded (mentioned in another post) and new brake pads got rid of the sound OR when I have had a stone chip stuck in the brake pads scraping against the disc. This is easily cured either by simply putting the car into reverse gear and backing up a bit to try to dislodge the stone or removing the offending brake pads and allowing the stone to drop out.
If your dealers mechanics cannot cure the problem then if I were you I would advize your dealer that you will take the car to an independent mechanic to verify if there is a problem or not and make the dealer aware that if there is a fault found then you will expect all costs to be met by the dealer for rectifying the problem.
Hows that? Too aggressive? I don't think so. You are entitled to have a nice comfortable car to drive that is hassle free. You should have the same experience with your dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts