Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a mate on the mobile who can get me someb bio diesel at £1-03 a litre, any one used it and any feedback? My car is a 2012 Tekna DCi. Any information would be great, some other forums state 50/50 mix with the proper stuff.

·
Registered
952 Posts
First off what does your mate mean by biodiesel as some people call veg oil biodiesel and you don't want to be sticking any of that in a modern diesel engine, it's far too thick. Then there's veg oil which has had a solvent of some sort added to it, everything I've read says that's a really bad idea for modern diesels too.
Then there's properly refined biodiesel, there the question is "what's the source?"
If it's some homebrew stuff I wouldn't touch it, if they get the refining process wrong it could contain christ knows what which could cause seal failure and corrosion. It'll be obvious that bad fuel is the issue.
If it's from a proper commercial facility then maybe, if Nissan say the car is compatible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnks for that advice. It is from a commercial outlet in Bradford which is a proper set up with company registration number and vat number etc, they advertise locally and recycle and refine to create the bio diesel. You can either go and fill up conventionally from the pump or take cans and fill them. I had a look at it and it looks like brown diesel, bit darker in colour than normal but similar viscosity to the esso/shell stuff. I looked in my handbook and can find no mention of it anywhere, dealers were not very good when i got the Juke so i have not tried that route as i am sure i will not get a proper answer.I thought that with the level of knowledge on here i would get a better answer or better advice. My plan was to use 10 or 15% bio with normal stuff for the remaining percentage.Any further advice from anyone would be very helpful, especially with the price of diesel at the moment.Thanks again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have absolutely zero personal knowledge or experience of this, but there is a guy on another forum I use who runs a diesel Astra on veg oil straight out of the supermarket. Previously he ran a Peugot 309 on the same fuel. I wouldn't do it myself. Not in a new car anyway; maybe in an old banger on its last legs anyway.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The old 306 and Astra engines (we're talking 20th century not 21st century) will usually run OK on vegetable oil if you have the right type of fuel pump. Common rail engines are a different kettle of fish.
That said this fuel sounds like it may be suitable for a modern diesel, but the problem is that if you get damage which is attributable to bad fuel your warranty won't cover it, so it's a bit of a toss-up as to what you save against what you risk.
Personally as a starting point I would mail or call Nissan aftersales directly and see what their position is :http://www.nissan.co.uk/GB/en/contact.html
On an older lower value car I would probably give it a punt, not sure I'd be willing to risk the warranty on a relatively new Juke. Sorry I couldn't be more help but while I know about this stuff in theory I've never tried doing it in a newer car, only old clunkers.

·
Banned
40 Posts
A friend of mine was using what was sold as bio diesel in his Renault Scenic, I think he even said he was using it on a 50 / 50 mix and it still clogged up the pump and filter. Personally I don't think it was proper bio diesel more like home brew. All that said isn't a certain amount of pump diesel sold these days made up from bio diesel? I am sure that I read somewhere the fuel suppliers have to make so much "bio fuels" could be wrong. Having a petrol not something I have to worry about to much
unless I start wondering if I should use high Octane or normal

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for the advice and comments, i did get 40 litres but am putting 5 litres in every fill up so it is well diluted until i have used it all. I think you are probably right and it is not worth the risk with it being a new car. It does look very clear when i have examined it in a glass, just golden in colour.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BigAl did your car run alright on that mix? I'm considering running my car on 1 litre of vegetable oil for every 9 litres of diesel, just to lower my emissions a bit. I had my soot tray emptied recently and it was not cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts